Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

new michigan owner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:31 PM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up new michigan owner!

Sort of new member - i've posted a truck in the bullnose truck forum, and done a lot of posting in the 2009+ f150 forum.

now i find myself here. it is kind of funny, actually. I have been wanting to NOT get a 250/350 truck because of the cost of them new (and used, really) so been looking for a "heavy half" instead.

well. as i am posting here, obviously that did not work out.

Yesterday, on a whim, i drove by a small dealer near my parents house - we were having a belated thanksgiving with just us after the big deal on Thursday. They had a SD with a Crew Cab long bed - just what i needed! so i hopped on pickuptrucks.com to look and see if it was listed and, it was, so i checked it out. 4500 dollars below blue book, gas (i know you diesel fans will frown at that, but we wanted gas) crew cab, long box, even already set up for a 5th wheel - which may be in our future.

I walked in and the sales guy started talking about a deep discount on the truck "today only!". we were not really planning on buying, so i told him we were just looking at it today.

boy was i wrong.

i looked at it, liked it, service manager buddy just happened to be with me because we were doing some home repair at my parents house and he liked it. it was all dry under, pinion seal was leaking slightly but nothing serious, and it was all dirty in addition to being dry, so they didn't appear to be power washing off any obvious issues.

called the wife, she stopped by and looked at it, we test drove it, and as we were getting ready to go back to the dealer and say "thanks, if it is still here when we are ready i'll give you a call" when my wife says "i was thinking we should make XXX offer on it"

we got to the dealership and start talking turkey - the guys asks how i heard about it, and i told him it was an online ad, told him the price, and listed off several smaller issues (needs tires, few small things) - he went to talk to the sales manager and then came back and sheepishly said "um, could you show me that ad?" so i did, and he left, then came back and said "we will honor that price, but i can't come down on the price at all" at this point, i was willing to walk, and started to get up when he says "i understand why you are willing to leave, but you should know that i was going to knock off 3000 dollars on the truck for you, but i can't because the truck was mis-listed - it was supposed to be 22999 and somehow it got listed on that site only as 18999. so, here is what i'll do - obviously, i'll fix all the broken stuff (cruise doesn't work being the big one) and i'll split the tires with you, at dealer cost.

they worked out an interest rate of 1.9 and tell us our payments are XXX, which is 70 dollars lower than my current payment, which will be paid off next month. Cha Ching! so.. i've got a new truck through random dumb luck.

i ended up with a 2008 F350 crew cab, long bed 4x4 XLT already set up with a nice 5th wheel hitch (my buddy tells me the hitch is worth probably 4-500$ used, cool.) its got 117k miles on it, and the 5.4L gas with built in trailer brake control. it doesn't have a LOT of features, but that is OK. got 14mpg average last night on the way home at 70. better than i expected, honestly.

handles better than i expected, although the bumps definitally get away from you with it empty - the shocks are probably going to be upgraded before too long, and i've got a 800 pounds of shingles in my garage that i think will find their way into the bed to see if it rides better that way.

anyhow long story to wait for a picture:

Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
Cool story and welcome to our corner of the web!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
You'll fit right in here. I think half the chapter has lwb super dutys.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 AM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Chad149
You'll fit right in here. I think half the chapter has lwb super dutys.
sounds like a smart and handsome group of guys!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
welcome, sounds like you did well! any plans for the truck? or do you have more willpower than everyone here and are going to leave it stock?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
There are definitely some changes i feel need to be made -

i wanna add a backup camera and the shocks need replacing. thinking bilstein 4600s or 5100s to smooth the ride out. it's not bad as is, but it gets a little shakey on some sections of 69, for instance.

the tires aren't completely worn out, they are a 6/32 but we negotiated new tires so that at least we could feel like we "won" something in the negotiations, but they are gonna be regular old all seasons, nothing special.

to add the backup camera in a seamless way i am going to have to either replace the head unit or mirror unless i want a stand alone unit (which i don't really care for) wouldn't mind having a dimming mirror with a compass anyhow, so may go that route, if the power is already run in the ceiling (not sure, haven't looked) wouldn't mind an aftermarket sub under the jump seat or in the back, but something pretty small. in my previous vehicle i had a 100 watt no name brand tube sub that was more than enough for me. I just want a little extra umphf on the low end, not to mall crawl.

i've got a 5th wheel hitch to get rid of, and thinking about just replacing the whole stock radio when i sell that to help fund it.

wouldn't mind some aux backup lights, either. been thinking about replacing the headlamp bulbs with something brighter too.

so ya - completely stock!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by seuadr
..to add the backup camera in a seamless way i am going to have to either replace the head unit or mirror unless i want a stand alone unit (which i don't really care for)... i've got a 5th wheel hitch to get rid of, and thinking about just replacing the whole stock radio when i sell that
i put one of the newer Pioneer DVD head units in my truck, one of the low-end models (same as the more expensive ones, but slightly smaller screen, and no bluetooth or satellite radio). i've been a Pioneer guy all my life and this one hasn't disappointed. anyways it has a camera-in input so i bought a sub-$10 camera on Amazon and it's been a great setup... has really improved my marriage (i can hook up the trailer myself now ).

Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to our home away from home.

Brandon send me the link for the camera i have been wanting one and that picture looks good (how does it work at night). It should look nice with the highest Pioneer they sell (thank you insurance and whoever stole my Avic-N4) lol

Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by seuadr
sounds like a smart, beer drinking group of guys!
Fixed that for ya.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Way to go Chad... Can't believe I missed that one.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:51 PM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
that backup cam looks nice! that is along the lines exactly of what i am looking for.

oh ya, i'd kinda like to add audio controls, if i can get my hands on a donor steering wheel. mebby get a power mirror at the same time.

so, am i in?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
lol i think you definitely fit the bill.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Jared, do you have a raid-able beer fridge?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 AM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SDElwood
Jared, do you have a raid-able beer fridge?
unfortunately, I do not. (I don't drink) i don't have to give my badge back now, do i?

Quick Reply: new michigan owner!