6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denny, what does your trailer weigh?

What mpg are you getting yanking that thing around?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by truckfella
Nice! And you should've also pulled up the map of the route you took to get there. You sure as heck didn't baby that thing by sticking strictly to the flatlands!
No I don't baby it just like I didn't baby my V10 and I think it runs like it does now because I broke it in like it's going to be used for the rest of the time I own it. The first time I pulled the trailer it had 370 miles on it but that was flatland.

The trailer weighs around 16K depending on the amount of water on board (it has 100 gal tank), the truck is rated for 15600 the way I have it configured. It will get 8 pulling but that was some very hard mountain pulling and it was still breaking in. We are getting ready to hit the road again next week so I will have a better idea where it's going to settle in. We will be going from Yuma to Puerto Penasco Mexico then to Igram TX before heading back to Nebraska for the summer, we will be home by the end of April. It will be a lot of flat land pulling for the most part but through some area with a lot of wind.

Denny

Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
No I don't baby it just like I didn't baby my V10 and I think it runs like it does now because I broke it in like it's going to be used for the rest of the time I own it. The first time I pulled the trailer it had 370 miles on it but that was flatland.

The trailer weighs around 16K depending on the amount of water on board (it has 100 gal tank), the truck is rated for 15600 the way I have it configured. It will get 8 pulling but that was some very hard mountain pulling and it was still breaking in. We are getting ready to hit the road again next week so I will have a better idea where it's going to settle in. We will be going from Yuma to Puerto Penasco Mexico then to Igram TX before heading back to Nebraska for the summer, we will be home by the end of April. It will be a lot of flat land pulling for the most part but through some area with a lot of wind.

Denny
I was referencing a SRW 6.2 w/3.73 when I was talking about the 5th wheel towing when saying get a diesel..You got a 1 ton dually with the 4.30 gears..A beefier built truck w/Mods. Glad to hear though the 6.2L is a workhorse engine..I am looking forward to towing soon,, if this winter blast will ever let up,, like to tow boat to ramp and see how she handles..But my 6.2L will get a work out spring/fall..Thanks for your input of your truck..

Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller

Denny

I think Denny proves the capability of the 6.2 it will do it!

Does anyone know what a 6.7 gets mpg wise with 16k in tow? When I go and look at the 6.7 board you get stuff all over the place.....and some guys want to get in a pissing contest of how much better the diesel is.......I say what the ***** ever I am just looking for info.....some members on these boards want to do nothing but bicker......

Denney have you crunched numbers comparing your mpg to that of what a diesel would get? I would think a 6.7 is probably around 10-11 with that kind of weight but that's a guess.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Powelligator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A really good friend of mine has a 6.7 diesel 2012 F-350 Crew Cab with roughly the same slide-in as in my sig and pulling his Jeep on a flatbed trailer. On exactly the same 1,000 mile trip to Death Valley and back, traveling with me, over the same big hills and up the length of california on I-5, his got 12 MPG overall while mine got 8 MPG. That's the closest comparison that I've ever personally witnessed. Can't speak for a fifth wheel, but it's probably pretty close.

-Joe

Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
The few that I have talked to with a 6.7 running about the same load are running 9 to 11, I'm grossing around 24K. Some of the group we are going to Mexico with have 6.7 that they have had for over a year so I will ask them what they are getting real world face to face. Some don't really care or just guess because it's just a fact of life when you are on the road, you stop insert credit card and keep going down the road or set are home and think about all the places you could be seeing.

Denny

Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Joe- that's a pretty good spread 4mpg is a lot......

Denny I am sure you have compared numbers because you say you are saving money........ Yeah the mpg is not as good but you can buy a lot of gas with $8k not to mention the added maintenance costs.

It's good to hear from you guys pulling heavy loads with no issues!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow I thought I would sneak a peak on the diesel place forums and check out the talk on the newer 2011 and up GM diesels , first page was a boatload of problems ,makes the 6.7 look like an angel by comparison..

Old 02-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a chime-in - and hope it doesn't sound too diesel vs gas.
I recently traded my '06 V10 for an '11 6.7 diesel. I liked that V10 about as well as any truck that I've owned. It did everything that I could have wished for - but pull the 12,000 pound 5th wheel through the mountains well. Yeah, it made it to the top of every one of those climbs - at 4000 rpm or better. Lord help you if you didn't get a head start/anticipate one of those hills as you would not be going the speed limit at the top. Now, you say, is that bad? Not really, but that line of cars behind you - every one of those drivers think so and I really don't like being waved at with a single digit as has happened too many times. People are throwing fuel mileage figures around - with a V10, 6-7.5 with the trailer and the 'required' ethanol laced gasoline. Yes, it is a fact. There is way less energy/gallon with that crap i.e 75,000 Btu vs 115,000 (rounded off figures) though reportedly more octane/performance. Sorry, but octane is ..... octane. I'm digressing. The diesel powered truck - yep, cost a bunch more, even used. Fuel mileage 15.9-16.4 around town, stop and go, 20+ open road. Pulling the same 5er, 12.4 on the same trip that the V10 might get 7.5. Cost of ownership - it ain't cheap and with diesel fuel price all over the place, not going to get cheaper. Hundred dollar oil changes are the norm vs the $30 for the V10. DEF - oh well!! Maintenance - yep, but once past the engine, it is identical to a gasser. BUT with that said, we are going on an extended trip this coming summer, probably well in excess of 10,000 miles and through the Rockies. When we return, I might just consider a 6.2 (or whatever Ford succeeds it with) as that diesel - it probably wont be needed for that kind of trip again and I really dislike that truck taking forever to warm up.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Powelligator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming back from "King of the Hammers" last week, into a stiff headwind, the same comparo as above, my buddy with the 6.7 oil burner recorded 10.2 MPG and I logged 7.5 MPG. We were not driving slow. It's the worst mileage ever recorded for both of us!

-Joe

Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Ryck
Freshman User
i drive a 2008 6.4L TD crew cab, yes diesels have some issues now and again... because i am fighting a problem with mine now i test drove a 2012 6.2L f-350 crew cab tonight.... wow, what a nice driving truck, i loved it.... BUT.... as much as I loved it compared to my 08 - and even though the power diff was something I could live with.... I couldn't get over the 7.8 miles per gallon it kept reading on the fuel economy read out on the dash while driving down the interstate at 75 mph.... does anyone get better than that? is there a programmer that helps these get better milage?

I could deal with the lower power vs my 6.4 TD, but chipped and exhausted I get hand caculated 24+ mpg highway empty and driving 55k miles a year, I would die if i could only pull 7 to 10 mpg on the highway. I don't tow much, maybe 10 times a year, just a 30 foot camper, but driving 55K to 65K miles a year, I haven't had a gasser in a while due to resale of those kind of miles vs the same miles on a diesel. I'm pissed at my 6.4 because its been tempermental this winter, so I am looking at going back to a gasser.... possibly, if I can get some MPG I can live with.

what's the best MPG you guys see on these 6.2's?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM
EricRom
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ryck
i drive a 2008 6.4L TD crew cab, yes diesels have some issues now and again... because i am fighting a problem with mine now i test drove a 2012 6.2L f-350 crew cab tonight.... wow, what a nice driving truck, i loved it.... BUT.... as much as I loved it compared to my 08 - and even though the power diff was something I could live with.... I couldn't get over the 7.8 miles per gallon it kept reading on the fuel economy read out on the dash while driving down the interstate at 75 mph.... does anyone get better than that? is there a programmer that helps these get better milage?

I could deal with the lower power vs my 6.4 TD, but chipped and exhausted I get hand caculated 24+ mpg highway empty and driving 55k miles a year, I would die if i could only pull 7 to 10 mpg on the highway. I don't tow much, maybe 10 times a year, just a 30 foot camper, but driving 55K to 65K miles a year, I haven't had a gasser in a while due to resale of those kind of miles vs the same miles on a diesel. I'm pissed at my 6.4 because its been tempermental this winter, so I am looking at going back to a gasser.... possibly, if I can get some MPG I can live with.

what's the best MPG you guys see on these 6.2's?
On our 800 mile round trip to Boone, NC I averaged 15.7 averaging @70mph. I lease a Honda accord to drive back and forth to work (65 miles per day) which pays for itself no driving my truck. Driving that many miles a year would save a lot of money driving something that got 35mpg.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Ryck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EricRom
On our 800 mile round trip to Boone, NC I averaged 15.7 averaging @70mph. I lease a Honda accord to drive back and forth to work (65 miles per day) which pays for itself no driving my truck. Driving that many miles a year would save a lot of money driving something that got 35mpg.
I agree w ya.... a 35 mpg beater would almost pay for itself and my ole lady says I should buy 35 mpg car for the road trips..... But I can be in North Minnesota in the dead of winter with -20 actual temps and snowing at 5" an hour, so I like the comfort of the heavy 4x4 under me and the thought of days of idle time on a tank of diesel fuel if something went bad just makes me feel a lil safer. But a couple times this winter my 6.4 has just puked it guts out... Got only 187K miles on it, not happy with this winters problems!!!! That's why I test drove the gasser tonight. I'm telling ya... that 12' 350 drove like a caddy!! soooo comfy.... the lighter front end vs the diesel was so sweet!! the ride overall beat the heck out of mine.... i just fight the idea of fuel economy and selling a 200K or 300K mile gasser vs selling a 200K or 300K diesel when I go to sell after a couple years on the highways...

Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Amelio
Senior User
RYCK- the 7.8 mpg you are seeing is like that because everyone that drives the truck is doing so with their foot to the floor! Everyone that test drives a 6.2 wants to see what kind of power it makes....... If it was a diesel the mpg read out would also be in the toilet....... In fact the 6.7 I drove or 2 weeks that I rented for my company was reading 10.2 mpg when I picked it up.

We all know diesels get better mpg than a gasser but we also know everyone drives the **** out of rentals.

Point being is the mpg you see is false the avg mpg is much better. My truck just clocked 16k miles and I avg 13.5-14 mpg mixed. Flat out on the hwy 65-70 it will do 15-17 depending on how many hills. The sweet spot seems to be 60-65 mph that's where I will see 17mpg

Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Ryck
Freshman User
Thanks Amelio, I was wanting someones actual long term fuel numbers on the gasser. You are right, there was some times I had my foot in it to see what passing gear was like, there was times I hit 65 on cruise control, I reset the fuel read out a couple times in a 45 min test drive to see what I would see. I liked the ride so much I'm really thinking I might just go for it. I think I jumped over here on the 6.2 board hoping someone could talk me into just going for it. I haven't done enough research yet to see if anyone makes a fuel economy tune and how much it helps. This truck I drove has 3:73's. Not sure if a high flow intake with a high flow exhaust helps much. Also wondered if headers would help much or not.

Quick Reply: The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2!