6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Block heater

Old 12-07-2013, 11:33 AM
dirtymutt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block heater

Just found out that my 2012 f250 block heater isn't working. Would not start with remote but thankfully she fired up using the key(barely it wouldn't even idle). It was -43c with wind chill last night. I tried 2 cords and 2 separate plugs and can't hear it kick in(telltale sizzle). My lovely wife is going to take it to the dealer this week but I just asking if I am possibly overlooking something simple here. I don't believe they are on a relay or anything so I'm thinking bad cord or heater itself. Truck started though so that's a good truck I my opinion.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Bmcush
Junior User
What was the temp without wind? Just curious. While living in Alaska if the oil vicosity was thin enough I found I really didnt need a plug in for start up, it was mainly to be able to use the heater quicker. The diesel was a different situation altogether.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Dave HM
Junior User
Do those things come with block heater from the factory? I have a 2012 but do not have a clue about a block heater.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Bmcush
Junior User
If you live in a cold climate they come automatically from the factory otherwise you have to order it when you order the truck

Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Technocrsr
Senior User
I can't hear mine also like my 99 but it is working, at those temps 4 hrs. plug in time should be enough.
Next time plug it in for at least two hrs. and feel with your hand for a warm spot where the cable goes in the engine.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 AM
dirtymutt
Senior User
I believe we were somewhere around -36 without the wind. I don't drive the truck everyday so I plugged it in for 2hrs before trying but I thought something was up when I couldn't hear the telltale sizzle start after a couple minutes. Someone asked about the block heater in general and yes they come std on vehicles in our climate here. The cord end is just clipped up inside the front bumper which sure beats having to dangle it out of the hood like the old days.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
My previous 2 diesels had engine block heaters and I could not hear them at all and really couldn't tell they were working but when I start in the cold you knew right away if it was working.

I did do an amp draw on mine to test. They only pull about 4 to 6 amps on the diesels so it would take a long time to heat things up. I have not checked mine on the 6.2l yet.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM
dirtymutt
Senior User
That makes 2 people saying they can't hear there block heater. Hmmm maybe they are weaker in these new trucks and silent. I don't know how to perform a amp draw test but that is probably exactly what the dealer will do.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Haven't used mine yet. Was supposed to get down to -20F last night. Truck started without it this morning. It cranks slow when it's that cold, but at -10 or warmer, it cranks fine.

Doubt I'll use mine.

Oh, and my truck sits outside all the time.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 AM
dirtymutt
Senior User
I just googled how to test the block heater with I multi meter and its really easy so I will check it before sending it down to the dealer. We don't need them everyday just during extreme cold snaps. It would prob start anyways but it sure is easier on them when they're plugged in. Until your wife drives off with the cord lol. I have a cord with a really loose end that I use on her car, it is perfect, her block heater works and when she forgets and backs up it just falls out yet stays plugged in to the house.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
The block heater is a heating element, about 600 watt, no moving parts.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
I ended up crawling under the truck and I can hear it plus I can feel warmth when I reach up by the block heater. So I guess its working which is good I was just used to being able to hear it when its quiet outside. Thanks for the responses

Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM
8iron
Senior User
Yep, -49 with the wind chill last weekend and even tho my truck was plugged in for a few hours it wouldn't start remotely and reluctantly started with the key. Leave it plugged in all night and no problem.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
That is odd that you have issues using the remote start when it gets cold. It has been down in the -30's (-40's with the wind chill but that is of no consequence for an inanimate object like a truck) I have not had any issues with mine and my battery is half shot 450cca vs the rated 650 or so it is supposed to have. I haven't even plugged it in yet this winter.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Had the same problem with mine yesterday and this morning at -40 and -35 with windchill. I know mine works because I see sparks when I unplug it.

Remote start without plugged in works fine in -20 but it seems that -30 and worse will require the block heater and to get out start start with the key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Block heater