Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, they won't fit the E99s.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These do not fit early 99. I don't believe anyone aside from IH makes the early 99 pipes.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 AM
IBleedOvalBlue
Junior User
dorman up pipes

Just installed these on my 02.... perfect fit.
You may find where the collector wasn't taped deep enough for the bolts.... They must have listened, my collector was taped all the way through.
Only issue I had was reclamping the clamp on the collector to the turbo... Real PITA.
The collector has kind of a rough finish but was well machined at the mounting points.
Once installed it was well sealed and now provides no boost loss due to exhaust leaks.
Hopefully and stands to reason this will translate to more power and better fuel economy.
I'm really happy with this purchase and would recommend.
As much as I like the international ones, I'll take the 200 dollar savings and buy other upgrades.

Last edited by IBleedOvalBlue; 03-06-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 03-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a set of these in March of last year. Just saw the vehicle(van) last week. All is well, no leaks. Fit was great. Must have been one of the early sets, bolt holes weren't tapped all the way. If these were available when I did mine I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
River19
Elder User
Stupid Question of the day.....

For my own education, what is the benefit of said bellowed up pipes and why does it sound like they are being made in a third world country by a 9 year old from a quality standpoint?

I'm not looking for a thesis, just trying to figure out what problem these solve.....

Thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Leaking exhaust gasket on the original design.

From Guzzles (dieselorings.com) site:

The original Ford and International design attempts to use an exhaust type of gasket to allow the lower pipe to slip in and out of the joint to allow for expansion and contraction of the up pipe. This constant movement rapidly wears on the metal pipe, reducing the outside diameter until there is enough clearance for exhaust gases to escape. This will cause an increase in Exhaust Gas Temperatures along with reduced turbo efficiency costing you fuel mileage.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by River19
For my own education, what is the benefit of said bellowed up pipes and why does it sound like they are being made in a third world country by a 9 year old from a quality standpoint?

I'm not looking for a thesis, just trying to figure out what problem these solve.....

Thanks
Well...they, after all, made in China. I have a set of Dorman uppies waiting to go in. The machining appears ok, I tapped all the holes, never made a chip. The baby's butt, is rather rough...must have real coarse sand in China.

I'm debating getting the die grinder on them, and maybe have the baby's butt ceramic coated, or paint with a hi-temp paint.

The pipes? Well, the pipe material themselves are magnetic, they could be a 400 series SSTL, the flange fittings that bolt to the ex manifolds...non-magnetic.

$160 bones shipped...Advanced Auto with a coupon. When your guy does the VB and the turbo wheel...have him throw these on...turbos coming off for the wheel install.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan V
Well...they, after all, made in China. I have a set of Dorman uppies waiting to go in. The machining appears ok, I tapped all the holes, never made a chip. The baby's butt, is rather rough...must have real course sand in China.

I'm debating getting the die grinder on them, and maybe have the baby's butt ceramic coated, or paint with a hi-temp paint.

The pipes? Well, the pipe material themselves are magnetic, they could be a 400 series SSTL, the flange fittings that bolt to the ex manifolds...non-magnetic.

$160 bones shipped...Advanced Auto with a coupon. When your guy does the VB and the turbo wheel...have him throw these on...turbos coming off for the wheel install.
IMO, it isn't worth doing anything to the rough casting, except ceramic coating or high temp paint. The machined surfaces, on all the sets I have seen, have been flawless. It is only an exhaust pipe/collector after all.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM
IBleedOvalBlue
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bigtruc
I didn't see it anywhere in the link but do these fit on the early 99's? Seem to remember somewhere that they r different
I do not believe they do,but I have seen a post on here where someone bought them for a early '99 then trimmed a little on the length and welded them back and they fit perfect,...seems the was a bit to long for early 99's
After a day of driving with the ones I installed,I recommend them.
If you can buy a set and modify them to fit I suggest doing so.....well worth the money. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13781589&postcount=77

Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a set on the bench also. waiting for the turbo rebuild kit, boot kit and turbo wheel..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
yup...gotta set wait'n on the bench as well. A buddy of mine bought a set, knowing his was a e99. With motor already out, it was straight forward to mark/cut/weld, and fit flawlessly. I'll "update" this post with exactly how much material he removed and at what location...

Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 AM
River19
Elder User
Are you guys going with the Dorman's vs. International based on $160 vs. $400 or are there other reasons?

Dan - I may add them to the list, since I'm hemmoraging money anyways......thought process being that while I don't believe I have any leaks at this time due to making good mid 20's boost as is, once we start dicking around with the turbo fittings etc. to install the wheel, what wasn't leaking certainly has the chance to start. It's been my experience that a certain amount of crud buildup can make for a good seal sometimes and once removed there is a ripple in the force and there are problems.

Boots too? :-)

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 AM
IBleedOvalBlue
Junior User
[quote=River19;14140688]Are you guys going with the Dorman's vs. International based on $160 vs. $400 or are there other reasons?

I went with them for the savings and the longevity of the bellow design @ 297k on the meter it was time to replace well worn parts.
I replaced the original doughnut gaskets about a year ago...just to have them leak again,this time much worse.
trust me,you don't want to be fooling with the turbo on a regular basis.
with the economy being in the tank and needing a fix i gambled on the dormans,IMHO they are far from junk (aside from the crappy finish on the collector but pretty don't effect performance)
I am sure these will outlast the truck and will not be a problem again.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by River19
Are you guys going with the Dorman's vs. International based on $160 vs. $400 or are there other reasons?

Dan - I may add them to the list, since I'm hemmoraging money anyways......thought process being that while I don't believe I have any leaks at this time due to making good mid 20's boost as is, once we start dicking around with the turbo fittings etc. to install the wheel, what wasn't leaking certainly has the chance to start. It's been my experience that a certain amount of crud buildup can make for a good seal sometimes and once removed there is a ripple in the force and there are problems.

Boots too? :-)
Are my uppies leaking? I can make 30 psi with the red line plugged. And you say you make 25psi...are yours leaking? For both of us...probably not. But that's today. I have coming 200k on mine, I see the design of the stock ones in which they use a donut to allow "some" slippage due to thermal expansion...that point of contact will wear to the point you will have a leak. Is that day today? Or in 10k?

You're having the turbo pulled to install the RR wheel, over and above the $160 for the Dormans is the additional labor to change the uppies? Or put on the RR wheel close the hood and maybe in 6 months you'll be in there again...or maybe not. But if you're going back in in 6 months, you're paying labor 2x.

Boots? If you're bleeding money you could wait on that. It's a pretty easy DIY....you could order up the fuel bowl o-ring kit from Diesel O-rings and do both easy on a nice saturday.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 AM
River19
Elder User
Makes sense;

Crap, looks like that is on the list while the turbo is getting jiggered with....the whole "while the body is open might as well" theory.......

Looks like instead of Tugly's Buckzooka I might be firing the Benjamin Cannon......

Quick Reply: $160 bellowed up pipes?