Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open hood returns all power??? buzzing in door or pass. control panal but no power!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 01:43 PM
cherry7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Open hood returns all power??? buzzing in door or pass. control panal but no power!

My 1995 Ford Aerostar Van has been in the shop twice for some strange symtoms.
An altenator was replaced both times. however altenator did still show the mechanic that the altenator was not running up to par. He cannot find anything that causes all the following problems.
Symptoms/Problems:
(past and current)
Sudden stall when I had turned on a blinker. Wrecker took van to shop because van would not restart. Van restarted instantly for Service station several times and for several days in a row.
Other problems: Van stalled when defrost was turned on. However would restart. Air conditioner disconnected. but have never used defrost since this has been done (weather change did not need heat and forgot all about it so I have not tested this since and cannot test it now because Van is dead in the carport AGAIN!)
Anytime heater, blinkers, brake lights, wipers or any other accesories were used there is a drop in battery power shown on gauge inside van. Altenator? however battery never lost power for starting van. Using accessories caused loss of power but battery always recharged to full power.
Loss of battery power at low idle. returned power at acceleration.
Van would not start: I had to wiggle tilt wheel a few times to get power for starting. Van can be warm from a previous drive, or completly overnight cool. 3 out of 5 times this would happen.
One time when it would not start I tried everything with the tilt wheel (and ignition switch) - would not start. So, I opened hood and all of the sudden all lights in van came on and key in ignition beep started. I had touched nothing! Van started right up!
Current Problem: Electrical warning buzz: (faint smell of electrical burn) When shutting door to van a buzz sounds from the door (no power to van - van won't start but door will buzz) open door and try to start van, a buzz sounds at the rear control panel in the van! ...If I hook up battery charger to the battery I will also get buzz at the rear panel.
NOTE: Also I have checked all over the net for anyone else with problems with this 1995 van I have found that there has been a recall on several things that may be the cause to this vehicles problem: (tell me what you think may be the one):

Fuel pump wiring harness short 1994-95 Aerostar
Accessory power feed circuit short 1992-97 Aerostar
Defective TFI (thick film ignition) modules

I already checked with FORD Co. and they "claim" that this van has already been serviced ... so I know I will get no help from them.
HELP!!! I need to bring the van in again I wish to have this taken care of. What can I suggest to the mechanic to take a look at? ...they are at a complete loss as to what it might be.
(I have not told them the above new information I have found - perhaps they too will find the "recall" information helpful, but would like your opinion too.)

Old 06-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Robert at the Beach
Senior User
Open hood returns all power??? buzzing in door or pass. control panal but no power!

Check all your ground points very carefully. I would go so far as to unbolt each one, check and clean the connector ends, and then refasten them.

You have a connection in the engine compartment barely making contact. Don't overlook the battery connections themselves.

Regards, Robert.

Old 06-23-2003, 02:53 PM
mjb1962
Senior User

You might want to check the ignition switch and the connector and wiring that plug into it. You may find some of the connector pins overheated. The switch and harness pigtail can be replaced without too much difficulty if they are not too hard to get to. If there are signs of overheating replace both.
Mark

Old 06-23-2003, 02:54 PM
cherry7
New User

Would something like a loose connection cause a buzzing sound on electrical areas such as the door or rear passenger control panel? (This happens even when the van itself is showing no juice is available for interior lights or for starting van)..it sounds like wires touching wires or something... there is something terribly wrong with electrical.

Note: this buzzing sound has JUST came into the picture as of 3 days ago.

Old 06-23-2003, 02:55 PM
cherry7
New User

Love this forum...all of you are so helpful! THANKS!!!

Old 06-23-2003, 04:06 PM
luke_trash
Senior User

i would focus very carefully on the buzzing noise to find it.

You don't want a fire to start and ruin the vehicle (I've see quite a few cars burn up in my days)

I'd locate that first and foremost.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Robert at the Beach
Senior User

My guess is that the buzzing is being caused by a relay without enough voltage to pull in, so it sits there and chatters.

However, I do agree that you should find the source of the buzzing first. If you find it coming from some small black electrical box, go back and check your grounds.

Do you know how to use a voltmeter?

Regards, Robert.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:35 PM
cherry7
New User

No I do not know how to use a voltmeter. Darn, wish I had more talent in this area. I sure do appreciate everyone's GREAT advice.
I am just a grandma hoping to get my main wheels up and running again.