Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 F250 HD 4x4 Rust-o-ration

Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
For $200 you did GREAT

Also, the "correct" way to install the seats is to bolt them all to the seat pan THEN put the whole assembly in the truck like a bench seat

Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 AM
mramc1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
For $200 you did GREAT

Also, the "correct" way to install the seats is to bolt them all to the seat pan THEN put the whole assembly in the truck like a bench seat
Yeah, but bolted together it's pretty heavy and I didn't have anyone to help me put the entire apparatus in. I bolted the center seat on the pan and set it in place. Then I was able to hook the seatbelts up with the tin brackets without fighting with the side seats. Then I set each seat on the pan, loosely held the fronts down with the nuts, then pivoted the pan up in the front, using the rear studs as anchors. Pretty easy to tighten the rear seat nuts then set the whole pan down and bolt it down last. No heavy lifting required.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 AM
mramc1
Senior User
I really needed a replacement driver's door, but haven't found a good white one yet. In the mean time I just quickly repaired the rust on the bottom of the OEM door. Not perfect, but should last quite a while. Here's what I started with.

Cut the rotten piece off.

Didn't have access to my neighbor's 8 ft brake so had to make three pieces in my small brake. I used the brake to make the bend for the bottom part of the skin. When the top is tacked in place I'll hammer the edge of the skin tight with a dolly and body hammer.

Started tacking them in.

The bottom was also rotted so had to fix that too.

Then threw a coat of mud on the top to start straightening everything out.

And while the bone was setting up I got the inner fenders mounted.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice, keep up with the great pics

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great build. Thanks for sharing.

All I can say is.........glad I found mine down south. Been 4 yrs of pouring oil in every crevice to keep it rust free.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Drew2010
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im bookmarking this thread. I need to do some of this to my 96... I did the flatbed thing and POR'd the frame from the cab back last winter. I have a bad manifold gasket and rotted fenders so the cab foreword will be next. Couldn't do it this winter because I needed it to plow since I sold my 97 I had all set up to put my Western on.

Part of me says just do as you did, fix what is needed on the engine and put it back in, but part of me says bring it to the machine shop and build it a little... Well see how that goes, It just turned 118k miles. I told myself that my flatbed project was going to be simple and cheap. Slap on the bed and have like $300 into it, then it turned into a dump bed project with $350 worth of LEDs and alot of other work... Ended up over $1200 instead...

Seems like thats how all my projects go. Start off with cheap intentions, then go above that... I guess if its worth doing, its worth doing right.

Heres a link of my flatbed project. OBS Flatbed Dump Project - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 PM
rli1223
New User
Great Thread!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Bret4207
Cross-Country
As a Northern NYer, my hat is off to you! Well done. Those who don't live in the rust belt have no clue what damage it does!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 AM
mramc1
Senior User
Finished the body work on the door and got it painted.

Once the door was installed it I did one last fit and alignment with the fenders and bumper before taking the fenders back off for paint.

Passenger fender painted on the edges and undercoated inside and in the middle.

Looking good.

Installed, shimmed, and gapped.

I needed some tires for the truck. I'm also partial to the factory Alcoa wheels as my previous HD had them. I was keeping my eyes open for a set of the wheels to mount some new tires on, but the Alcoas are hard to find around here and usually expensive. I was looking on Craigslist and happened on an old post. A guy had the Alcoas with brand new 285/75R16 tires for $500. The post was over a month old and I was sure they'd be gone, but I called anyway. He still had them so I couldn't get the money out fast enough. Just the tires alone retail at about $800. The rims have some corrosion, but still look pretty good and are a lot better looking than four plain steel rims.

And the tires look bad *** on the truck.

One more good score were these large Ford logo splash shields. I found them at the Goodwill of all places for $2!

They wrap half way up the fender and should keep the big tires from throwing crap all over the doors.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
damarble
Elder User
Nice work, great inspiration.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice, did you use a single stage paint or did you base coat and clear

Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lookin real good! You do nice work and it shows in the finish product.

Mind if I ask, whose fenders did you use?

I've been following your thread from the beginning but didn't see you mention where you're sourcing your sheet metal from (apologizes if missed it), the cab support/rocker/floor pan/fenders etc.

Based on what can be seen in the pictures I'm impressed with the fit of the fenders so far, gap control and shape/body line appear to be pretty much spot on.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
You painted the door anyway, why such the big deal to find a white one?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 PM
mramc1
Senior User
Originally Posted by danr1
Lookin real good! You do nice work and it shows in the finish product.

Mind if I ask, whose fenders did you use?

I've been following your thread from the beginning but didn't see you mention where you're sourcing your sheet metal from (apologizes if missed it), the cab support/rocker/floor pan/fenders etc.

Based on what can be seen in the pictures I'm impressed with the fit of the fenders so far, gap control and shape/body line appear to be pretty much spot on.
The OEM style rockers and floor pans came from Bronco Graveyard in Colorado. The cab corners and slip on rockers came from Raybuck.com in PA. The fenders I ordered through a local junkyard. I think they are Keystone parts, but not sure. All the parts seem to be made in Taiwan. Most everything fit pretty good. The fenders aren't perfect, but fit fairly well. I'm not building a show truck so they're good enough for me. I;d say they are about 90% accurate matching OEM.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 PM
mramc1
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroker100
very nice, did you use a single stage paint or did you base coat and clear
I shot them in enamel with hardener. It similar to single stage, but cheaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 F250 HD 4x4 Rust-o-ration