1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Heading to Harry's - What to Grab?

Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
JP, if they have any '80-'86 model trucks, grab the metal interior door handles. They are a good upgrade to our plastic ones......right Nate..
Right you are, Bill! Right you are! It's the little things that do it for me, lol.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too. I've been using those for years. My daughter just snapped Tyler's driver door handle off yesterday. He had two of the metal handles over here at my shop we been saving for his truck, so he will be putting them in his. I need to hit some junk yards and find four of them for Big Red.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brand new Bosch superduty diesel pumps are cheap.
They are inline on the frame rail, gas trucks have pump in the tank.

Harry's cycles through cars regularly so you gotta get up there every 4-6 weeks to get good picking. They crush 4-6 rows every month. I went up there on one day, two days later I went to get a 4.6dohc motor... Crushed.
3 months later, went up and found a v10, went up 3 days later... Yup, crushed.
I have bad luck.
I suggest you try your best to get what you want right when you see it.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
JP, if they have any '80-'86 model trucks, grab the metal interior door handles. They are a good upgrade to our plastic ones......right Nate..
No they are NOT. They just brake the door. If anything, you want to grab the Linkage from those doors and replace the cable in the 92-97 doors but NOT the metal handle

Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
The metal handles are fine as long as you're not putting them on the door because you keep breaking the plastic handles. It's not a solution to a bombed out linkage or a stretched cable, they just feel better than that stupid cheesy plastic handle does.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too. I've been using those for years. My daughter just snapped Tyler's driver door handle off yesterday. He had two of the metal handles over here at my shop we been saving for his truck, so he will be putting them in his. I need to hit some junk yards and find four of them for Big Red.
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
No they are NOT. They just brake the door. If anything, you want to grab the Linkage from those doors and replace the cable in the 92-97 doors but NOT the metal handle
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The metal handles are fine as long as you're not putting them on the door because you keep breaking the plastic handles. It's not a solution to a bombed out linkage or a stretched cable, they just feel better than that stupid cheesy plastic handle does.
some differing opinions, I see. :-)

I like the idea of metal rather than plastic and I like to think i'm pretty gentle on things like that so maybe i'll go for it.

thanks for the suggestion, Bill.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Brand new Bosch superduty diesel pumps are cheap.
They are inline on the frame rail, gas trucks have pump in the tank.

Harry's cycles through cars regularly so you gotta get up there every 4-6 weeks to get good picking. They crush 4-6 rows every month. I went up there on one day, two days later I went to get a 4.6dohc motor... Crushed.
3 months later, went up and found a v10, went up 3 days later... Yup, crushed.
I have bad luck.
I suggest you try your best to get what you want right when you see it.
good point about new pumps being cheap. maybe i'll grab just the mounting bracket off a diesel if I find one, but I don't expect to see any diesels in the yard anyway.

and yes, they do go things quickly there! I've got a prioritized list i'll be going in with. whatever I can grab in ~ 2-3 hours (maybe less depending on the temp that day and numbness of fingers) will be it!

I always find that the $2 admission fee is money well spent even if I don't come home with anything. its quite entertaining to see all those old trucks in one place and all the people that come to get parts - like me!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
some differing opinions, I see. :-)

I like the idea of metal rather than plastic and I like to think i'm pretty gentle on things like that so maybe i'll go for it.

thanks for the suggestion, Bill.
The issue with the metal handles that Brad is referring to is that guys will break 2 or 3 plastic handles because they're yanking away trying to open the door when the linkage on the handle or the cable is shot. So instead of replacing the plastic handle and the linkage they will see these metal handles as the solution and put them in....then they break the metal part of the door where the handle bolts on because they never addressed the original issue. But I guess if some gorilla got into the truck and was way too rough with the handles they could break the door, so in that regard Brad is correct. I just like the metal handles because they look and feel better than the cheapo plastic handles that came stock. I like them, so I (and apparently Bill and several others) run them!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:41 AM
osu711
Senior User
You said you were looking for creature comforts, maybe look for some of those cup holders that mount on the seats, they are pretty hard to come by, at least by me

Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Go-pedals. PCMs/IDMs if they're cheap enough. Injectors, for cores, if they're cheap enough. CC XLT driver's door panels, if in good shape and space allows. Overhead consoles from other vehicles.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM
osu711
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Go-pedals. PCMs/IDMs if they're cheap enough. Injectors, for cores, if they're cheap enough. CC XLT driver's door panels, if in good shape and space allows. Overhead consoles from other vehicles.

X2 Big time on the driver door panels, Even if the driver door panel is shot, check to see what the trim piece that goes around the window switches is like, thats another high value item

Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
good call on the go-pedals. they're easy. I def grab them off of any/all OBS powerstrokes I can find. ...and then post them for sale on here for $100/each

...just kidding. $99.99 :-)

ok, just kidding again. if I do find any, i'll keep one as backup for myself and let you all know for anyone who's interested.

prob won't have time to pull injectors, but that driver's CC door panel is a great call - I completely forgot about all the extra switches that would be in that panel!

as for the cupholders, OSU - I've never even seen them, so I don't know what to look for, but i'll definitely keep an eye out!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
let me know if you see any pontiacs from 67-74 with a 400 ci motor... been looking for a good core for more than a year...

richard

Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
osu711
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
good call on the go-pedals. they're easy. I def grab them off of any/all OBS powerstrokes I can find. ...and then post them for sale on here for $100/each

...just kidding. $99.99 :-)

ok, just kidding again. if I do find any, i'll keep one as backup for myself and let you all know for anyone who's interested.

prob won't have time to pull injectors, but that driver's CC door panel is a great call - I completely forgot about all the extra switches that would be in that panel!

as for the cupholders, OSU - I've never even seen them, so I don't know what to look for, but i'll definitely keep an eye out!

They look like this

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/54996741.jpg

Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
let me know if you see any pontiacs from 67-74 with a 400 ci motor... been looking for a good core for more than a year...

richard
You do realize he is in PA and you are in AZ?!?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heading to Harry's - What to Grab?