Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Drive shaft length for Dana60 conversion

Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Drive shaft length for Dana60 conversion

Donor drive shaft is MIA and I don't want to buy a new one. I have plenty of D50TTB drive shafts available and would like to have one ready before I do the install. Does anyone know how much I need to shorten it? I have read where some used the original without changing the length but I'm pretty sure all of mine won't fit. They all just barely collapse enough to fit with the original TTB. I'm not adding any extra lift above what the D60 gives you naturally so clearance shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
all the D-60 conversions i did were done with the stock D-50 TTB driveshaft and never had any problems.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are they all real close-fitting and tight to get in? You have to take a pry bar and squeeze that sucker in there pretty aggressively. After you get it in, it has about 1" of travel before it bottoms out. With the D60, will the natural extra lift compensate for the pinion being longer?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
The Driveshaft length will vary from truck to truck.

Auto trans needs a longer shaft than a manual trans.

I have not been able to get away using a F250 shaft after any Dana 60 swap. There was always a vibration with the hubs locked if you went over 40mph.

There is actually a TSB for fixing vibrations in a F250, by using a F350 driveshaft. The problem is, you also need the accompanying front t-case yoke

Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
The yoke is still on the donor truck, but it was a 5spd so sounds like the drive shaft wouldn't have worked anyway. NAPA has the C6 one for $284. Will the tcase yoke still be the same?

Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by eakermeld View Post
The yoke is still on the donor truck, but it was a 5spd so sounds like the drive shaft wouldn't have worked anyway. NAPA has the C6 one for $284. Will the tcase yoke still be the same?
The tcase changed thru the years and the yokes are NOT interchangeable thru the different cases

87-95 are BW 1356
96/97 are BW 4407

I would get the F350 shaft. C6 is a short one too. POSSIBLY the same length as the manual one.
By auto I was referring to the e4od

Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
D60 donor was a 93 so I'm in luck. A new shaft will look sweet under there!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Duvaren
Junior User
Duvaren is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my Dana 60 reconversion I had to shorten my driveline by 2.5". Measure it well, driveline lengths vary!

Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Duvaren View Post
On my Dana 60 reconversion I had to shorten my driveline by 2.5". Measure it well, driveline lengths vary!
Correct. Have 2 identical truck but one a F250 and one F350, the F350 shaft will be shorter every time. The pinion is longer on a D60

Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
THANK YOU! That is the measurement I have been looking for. I will have one of the many D50TTB shortened 2.5" shorter than the shaft of the truck the D60 is going in and try that before I go spend more coin on a F350 shaft. If it vibrates or doesn't fit, oh well, we tried, didn't we! Thanks for all the help and info. This is an awesome place!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by eakermeld View Post
THANK YOU! That is the measurement I have been looking for. I will have one of the many D50TTB shortened 2.5" shorter than the shaft of the truck the D60 is going in and try that before I go spend more coin on a F350 shaft. If it vibrates or doesn't fit, oh well, we tried, didn't we! Thanks for all the help and info. This is an awesome place!
How about BEFORE you cut or weld ANYTHING. You measure from u-joint yoke to u-joint yoke and find YOUR truck's measurement then make YOUR shaft to YOUR specs

Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
I will do that when I do the install. I have plenty of shafts to play with so hacking one up is no big deal. Maybe I'll get lucky. My goal is to have every possible piece ready to go and drive in one side of the shop with a F250, bada-bing bada-boom, and out the other side with a fully functional F350. Hey, a guy can dream, right!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Wish I hd your time to waste. How long does it take to lay under the truck and measure yoke to yoke?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Not near as long as it takes for someone to come and pull me out because the drive shaft shop didn't get the shaft built yet!

Old 12-24-2013, 06:41 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
2.5" was the magic number. It does have a small vibe over about 45, but I don't drive that fast in 4wd anyway. I accomplished just what I wanted and none too soon. I had all my pieces ready to go. Parked my truck in my buddies shop the night before. Went up the next morning , took everything off, ate an early lunch, put all the new/rebuilt stuff on and drove a newly created 350 out into 10" of snow. What a blast!