2008 Ford F250 No 4x4 no Lights no nothing?? HELP!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2008 Ford F250 No 4x4 no Lights no nothing?? HELP!!

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 11-22-2013, 01:49 AM
highmarkxx
New User
highmarkxx is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 2008 f250 and the 4x4 isn't working it won't engage and no light comes on when you move the switch to the 4x4 position. I checked all the fuses and relays and tried another switch from my buddy's 2008. Still nothing. When I switch it to 4x4 you can't hear the relay click or the pump come on for the hubs. On my buddy's when you hit the 4x4 switch the really clicks and the pump kick on.

Any help would be great. Its snowing and my truck has no 4x4

Old 11-22-2013, 06:15 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
what about manually turning the hubs and turn the switch to engage the transfer case?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
GHeTTo JOe is starting off with a positive reputation.
i would try what senix said this style hubs can have vacuum leaks and not engage but you can lock your hubs in as a fail safe. that should then tell you if the 4wd still works or not.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM
highmarkxx
New User
The transfer case doesn't engage at all No 4low no 4 hi no noise and no lights come on when 4x4 is selected. Any way to do some tests on the motor? I would think i could hear the relay click when the switch was moved to 4x4 even if the motor was bad?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
GHeTTo JOe is starting off with a positive reputation.
found this on stuck in 4lo but you might be able to use it to check yours.....
<table class="ADVV1-HotlineArchives-Whites" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="ADVV1-HotlineArchives-LeftRuledRows">
</td> <td class="ADVV1-HotlineArchives-RuledRows"> 1. If the transfer case is currently in 4LO, connect a voltmeter between the Brown/Green (BN/GN) and Grey/Orange (GY/OG) wires at the transfer case shift motor connector leaving everything connected. With the 4WD mode switch in 4LO, hold the brake pedal applied, have the transmission in neutral (of clutch pedal depressed if manual transmission), and have the vehicle at a stop. Move the switch to 4HI and look for a brief pulsing voltage of roughly battery voltage.

2. If voltage is present but the transfer case motor does not shift the transfer case out of 4LO, remove the shift motor and verify that the transfer case can be moved manually with a pair of pliers. If the transfer case won't shift manually, address the mechanical transfer case concern.

3. If the transfer case does move manually as it should, and there if power and ground to the shift motor when requested, suspect a weak shift motor.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 PM
highmarkxx
New User
I tried a new shift motor no dice. I have power at the switch but only have power on one side of the relay but no power to turn the relay on just constant. I checked my buddy's and his has constant and a command hot when the switch is turned to 4x4. Control module?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I think the fuse or relay is going to be under the hood on the drivers side. Where are the fuses are at.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:28 PM
highmarkxx
New User
Ya I've checked them all and #2 doesn't have a command power only constant when the switch is turned to 4x4 my buddies 2008 has constant and switched power to the relay mine does not.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Larry NCKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
This likely doesn't help if you don't have a wiring schematic . . . and possibly you already know it anyway . . . but you'll have to trace the switched power circuit to find out where it fails.

Here's a thought. Have you checked for fault codes?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:48 PM
highmarkxx
New User
I'm going to scan the truck later today from what I've read I think I've narrowed it down to the GEM module. Because the dome light wont wrk when you open the door at any door. But the dome light work if you switch them on at the light. Is just a guess. Any help would be great thanks guys

Old 11-23-2013, 11:36 PM
highmarkxx
New User
The tool won't talk to the transfer case at all. Hook it to my buddy's 2008 and it talks to it just fine?? Gem?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:03 AM
senix
I think you are going to have to back track till you find the break in the wire.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:49 PM
highmarkxx
New User
So ur thinking Break in the wire or short other then a bad gem?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 PM
senix
short or a complete break is what I figure.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM
highmarkxx
New User
Any input on where to start looking?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Ford F250 No 4x4 no Lights no nothing?? HELP!!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: