Sponsored by: DP Tuner

tough question about 4r100 need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tough question about 4r100 need help!!!

I'm having troubles with my 2000 f350 4x4 transmision. I just had it rebuilt by a crappy local shop for $1300. i installed myself with new fluid and super cleaned the trans cooler and lines got it all buttoned up and went for a test drive no 3rd or od. so took it back out they found a broken sprag and put it all back together and i reinstalled it, it worked fine. drive it off and on for about two weeks putting about 300 miles on it got a bubbles in my tire(44" michelins) and sat for two weeks until i could find another tire. went to go drive it and it went good for about 3 miles and popped into what seemed like neutral and wouldnt go any where until i slowed down a bit until about 2nd gear and limped back home. now it will only move in reverse , when i put in d it feels like it wants to move but seems to slip same when i manually shift to 1st. NOW when hit the od off button it moves like a brand new truck until od so i click od back on and nothing like its in nuetral, but i click the od off again and its perfect....now the fluid is still brand new no flakes or even a bit of clutch matter just like it came out the bottle....and if i unplug the connecter it goes into fail-safe mode 4th gear.... please someone help i hope i gave enough info, another thing is that the key ignition wont turn the motor over only the push button i hook up will, maybe something to do with the p/n saftey switch??? thanks for the help!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I think there is a problem with the overdrive clutch and the overdrive one way clutch. My guess is that the overdrive one way failed and some pieces from that got into the overdrive clutch, keeping that from operating. That's my guess, and I'm sticking to it until a teardown shows if I'm right or wrong.

And this failure might have happend from junk that came out of the old coolers. No matter how well you think you cleaned them there was still junk from the old trans in there that can work loose and kill a new transmission.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
mark ive heard youre the "man" when it comes to transmission and i would be stupid not to take your advice but whats weird is od off, trans moves every time. od on, only feels like it wants to move. could it be anything thats not it the trans???

Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
one other thing is that when it was working good the second install, i topped off the fluid and the od light would flash until i drove around and got warmed up, and did that 7 times out of ten... the truck is also bulldogged a little bit about 5*

Old 01-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
Mark??? I just wish you would reread this and let me know your thoughts are,,, thanks in advance

Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

OK, I reread this thread and here are my thoughts.

I think there is a problem with the overdrive clutch and the overdrive one way clutch. My guess is that the overdrive one way failed and some pieces from that got into the overdrive clutch, keeping that from operating. That's my guess, and I'm sticking to it until a teardown shows if I'm right or wrong.

When you press the the OD OFF button the PCM turn on the coast clutch. This takes the place of the overdrive one way clutch, so it makes sense that the truck moves when you do this and won't move when the overdrive is enabled.

There is NOTHING outside the trans that can cause this.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
Ok Mark thank you so much i will take it out and send it back for a third time!!! Actually im gonna try and get a refund if i can and get a different builder ... i might not post results as this does sound like the problem and should be ok when i get it back in... and it NEVER hurts to double check

Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Mehegan
Ok Mark thank you so much i will take it out and send it back for a third time!!! Actually im gonna try and get a refund if i can and get a different builder ... i might not post results as this does sound like the problem and should be ok when i get it back in... and it NEVER hurts to double check

You should post the results. These threads help us all learn from others experiences. 'Mark' is sticking to his story and the Brotherhood wants to know the out come.

Thank-you

Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Michael Mehegan
New User
ok will-do... I'm taking it out monday and should have it back in by the end of the week...

Old 07-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
Sorry for the late response but here I am here I am a year and a half down the road and more transmission problems... Mark your advice was pinpoint accurate. It was the one way clutch that gave out.. however on to the next problem. This time I have no gears whatsoever... I was driving , took a turn, let off, went back on the thottle and had power to the ground for like a sec then bam nothing at at like I was in neutral. It's also making a whining noise now and goes with the rpms.. . Any guess as to what the problem could be?

Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you tried putting in 4x4?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

There are three possibilities.

1. The transfer case shifted to neutral.
2. The transfer case broke.
3. The transmission broke.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
Ok Marc I've narrowed it down to the transmission. I've pulled it out hoping it was the pump but it looks brand new no worn spots or anything abnormal. I'm wondering if it could be the torque converter. Im hoping I don't have to tear the guts out. I checked all the valves and they're not stuck and moving freely... I'm hoping you can help lead me in the right direction...

Old 07-28-2015, 05:47 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The only thing I could do is look at all the parts. But you're there, I'm not, so now you have to find what broke.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Michael Mehegan
New User
Ok. Another thing is that even when its in park it still making the whining noise does anything in the transmission move when its in park or is just the torque converter and pump...

Quick Reply: tough question about 4r100 need help!!!