Anyone do a time sert repair on a DOHC 5.4L?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:46 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone do a time sert repair on a DOHC 5.4L?

Has anyone done a time sert repair to a spark plug hole.
I think that is what I am going to have to do to the wifes NAV. Looks like it is going to be a chore to get the valve cover off. Anyone with any pointers on that by chance.
thanks again guys

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
I've done several (on several vehicle). I used the actual TIME-SERT kit, not a knock-off brand.

From Mustangs, to F150's, I've never had a problem afterwards. Just follow the directions and take your time*.

*There will be a part when you have to bore the head with the boring tool using a ratchet - it takes forever!!! So, just keep at it and don't worry!

I always treat the thread cutter with heavy grease to help catch the chips, and if you can, set up a shop vac reduced to a small hose (maybe some transmission hose or vacuum hose taped to the end) to stick down into the sp@rk plug hole after each round of cutting.

As for the valve cover removal.... you're on your own there.
Good Luck! You'll be fine!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
That sounds about right. Of course everyone i have contacted said that this is the first DOHC engine they have ever heard of blowing a plug out.
Time sert kit looks real nice, but for $400 I guess it should.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by caverjoe
That sounds about right. Of course everyone i have contacted said that this is the first DOHC engine they have ever heard of blowing a plug out.
Time sert kit looks real nice, but for $400 I guess it should.
I haven't heard of 4v's spitting plugs either, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
I've only worked on 2v motors with the Time-sert kit. My concern is the depth of the head / spark plug location. It's hard to believe the tools would be identical. The heads are so different; SOHC vs. DOHC.
If the tool specifies DOHC motors, then you're golden.

I agree, it's expensive - But it's way cheaper than pulling the head, and it's way cheaper than doing it twice with a "lesser product".

Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM
trk98
Senior User
Did it rip the threads out or just back itself out? I've seen both scenarios and like everyone else, never in a 4v. If the threads are there, chase them and thread a plug in. If not, everything Aaron said is what you have to do. Sometimes if the plug backs itself out it only hurts the first thread in the head. You may get lucky. Try to use an inspection mirror or borascope to look in.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry Joe. AE questions are one thing, but this one get's moved to the 5.4L forum for the tech help.

Stewart

Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
understood. Just seems like I get answers here faster than there. You can just delete it if you want. I have already posted in the nav forum

Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
understood. Just seems like I get answers here faster than there. You can just delete it if you want. I have already posted in the nav forum
I moved this thread to the Modular V8 engine forum, not the Nav forum.

I was hoping someone here in the engine forum could help you out.

Stewart

Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
cool was not aware of that forum guess I need to look at all the forums again
thanks Stewart

Old 11-05-2013, 02:02 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
...Modular V8 engine forum...

Stewart
cool was not aware of that forum...
Ahhhh... I remember the Modular forums from my V10 days. Some knowledgeable peeps around these parts.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
I am still not sure if it yanked the threads or backed itself out. I think it backed out because i did not see very much that could be thread material. Here are a couple of pics of the plug itself.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1383690441

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1383690459

looks to me like it came loose and then pogoed up in down in the hole for awhile.
I probably should have tried harder to find a 1
m14x1.25 chase or tap before I ordered the time sert kit today but had no luck here locally. I do not have a bore scope either.

Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2013, 06:53 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Well I found a thread chase and ran it all the way down untill it tightened up. So I thought I had it made, but I still can not get a plug to start. The chase did feel a little out going in almost like it was to easy and maybe a little loose all the way down till it got tight. Thinking maybe the hole is bad. Might try to come up with a bore scope today.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Blue Heron
New User
Wondering how it went, or if it has. I am getting ready to do my 97 Expedition. Had one go after we bought used from dealer. We got warranty and was covered (@ $1200!) So I figured @ $400 for the kit I can fix it 3x!
I ordered a set of coils and a cheap 5 m/10mm borescope (hope it fits) that should be here Thursday.
I've been reading lots of info on other posts that ay not to do all 8 for preventing this bs on a trip somewhere, and its better to fix them as they go?...
But I figure I would change out all plugs while I'm at it and fix if breakage occurs. (Which I've read was moreof a problem in 04+, not 97-03?)
Any pointers, suggestions for the 5.4.
It's #3 on passenger. Thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Mine went real smooth. I was in the number 2. so yours might be a little tighter. I would recommmend going ahead and getting as much stuff out of the way as you can. I tried to fight a couple things for a little while untill I got tired of it. Back the flutes in every piece you use with some thick grease it catches a lot of the shavings. After I got the bore scope Pretty much all i found in the cylinder where pieces of the rubber boot. But was able to see some shavings after the process, and a shop vac with some diffrent size of pex tubing took care of those.
Feel free to PM me with any questions that you think I might be able to help with.
Good Luck
As you can see once this thread was moved to this forum I did not get any help. The Nav Exp forum has a couple of my threads with some more suggestions in it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone do a time sert repair on a DOHC 5.4L?