1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Poking everybody with a stick - Air intakes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tact
I just now removed the lid and checked the intake tube....it is clean as a whistle. So I guess it is working properly.

What I did find was that the electrical connector which goes on the filter minder is missing. I never noticed it there before. Is there supposed to be wires connected to the minder?? I looked everywhere and I didn't see an electrical connector hanging loose.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread with my question. I'll start another.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
You and I are both being misled. My friend with a stock 6.0L just so happened to stop by when I was reading your post and I grabbed a tape measure. The measurements in the spec are "absolute"... meaning all-inclusive with packaging and seals. The filter media (on both counts) is significantly smaller than the literature. The only way to really settle this is to dissect each filter and measure them up. I don't have a filter to tear apart, and my S&B will be here this week... so somebody else can do the deed if they're game.
According to my measurements and math, there's roughly 560 cubic inches of filter media in the 6.0 filter, and 390 cubic inches in the AIS.

Which amounts to a 30.35% difference in the amount of filter media.

Which is what makes me think the 6.0 filter is larger, and through my understanding of the powercore media, probably outperforms the AIS filter, in the absence of other data.

That conclusion was confirmed through my admittedly anecdotal observations of filterminder behavior followed by quantitative intake vaccuum magnehelic gauge readings on both intakes on the same engine (mine) back when Gene was around and the intake wars were raging.

But you don't have to take my word for it, I've been wrong before.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
dual 6637 intakes FTW.

OP, I'm going to join the crowd saying this isn't exactly rocket science. Get an intake that's tried and true and be happy. 6637, AFE Big boost, AFE stage 2 PG7. I've never used S&B, but some seem to like them too. Now all you have to do is decide on a price you want to pay and whether you want a cleanable filter or not. My new SD had an AFE stage 1 with the standard filter when I got it 3 weeks ago and I immediately pulled it off and put a 6637 on it because I simply don't care for cleanable filters..

Edit.... If anyone wants the AFE stage 1 to play around with let me know... I don't want to look at it on the shelf.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
dual 6637 intakes FTW.

OP, I'm going to join the crowd saying this isn't exactly rocket science. Get an intake that's tried and true and be happy. 6637, AFE Big boost, AFE stage 2 PG7. I've never used S&B, but some seem to like them too. Now all you have to do is decide on a price you want to pay and whether you want a cleanable filter or not. My new SD had an AFE stage 1 with the standard filter when I got it 3 weeks ago and I immediately pulled it off and put a 6637 on it because I simply don't care for cleanable filters..

Edit.... If anyone wants the AFE stage 1 to play around with let me know... I don't want to look at it on the shelf.
Will this stage 1 filter work with my stock box? If so, how will it attach? I am interested in it.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:44 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tact
Will this stage 1 filter work with my stock box? If so, how will it attach? I am interested in it.
I just double checked myself, it's actually the AFE Magnum Force stage 2, pro 5R media filter. I didn't realize they had two versions of this smaller intake. So yeah, if any of y'all want it to play around with PM me. Not meaning to hijack, just throwing it out there for any of y'all wanting to play with different intakes.

It looks like this.... http://afepower.com/catalog/51-10062/is.pdf

Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
While trying to sort this out, these match the measurements I found in my friend's 6.0L. Did they pull a L6.0/E6.0? This is straight out of the Donaldson documentation.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM
clux
Post Fiend
While trying to sort this out, these match the measurements I found in my friend's 6.0L. Did they pull a L6.0/E6.0? This is straight out of the Donaldson documentation.

Up to f550 all years of the 6.0 used the equivalent the P603577. If he has that filter on smaller than a F650 it's not stock.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I totally get that part, but he swears he did nothing to modify his truck, and I believe him (I know how the guy is about his truck).

The only thing I'm driving at is there's too much confusion in the matter of intakes, and I don't have the inclination to untangle that knot on my own. I made the effort recruit assistance to compile enough information to be helpful to others, but the thread spiraled and it chased off some viable prospects.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 AM
clux
Post Fiend
I totally get that part, but he swears he did nothing to modify his truck, and I believe him (I know how the guy is about his truck).
The housing for that filter on the F650 is huge, I don't believe there's any way one could fit one under the hood of a pickup with the 6.0. If your friend's filter is the one piece unit where the filter is also the filter housing (black plastic exterior), it's a stock 6.0 filter. If it's a removable Powercore cartridge that goes inside a housing like the one pictured, it's not stock.

The only thing I'm driving at is there's too much confusion in the matter of intakes, and I don't have the inclination to untangle that knot on my own. I made the effort recruit assistance to compile enough information to be helpful to others, but the thread spiraled and it chased off some viable prospects.
I don't think there's much confusion, just differing opinions. The gist of it is that the stock air filter system in most people's opinion is substandard and can lead to dusting. Searching for the "best" intake for everybody is like hiding your own Easter eggs and then trying to convince everybody how easy they are to find. There is no best solution for all applications, you have to decide what your personal goals are.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by clux
There is no best solution for all applications, you have to decide what your personal goals are.
1000 CFM @ 15" of H2O max when new (prefer no more than 10"), over 99% filtering efficiency, cold air intake.

Having the specs was the easy part. Rots of ruck finding the flow data on the options. Hence... my effort... and consternation.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
clux
Post Fiend
1000 CFM @ 15" of H2O max when new (prefer no more than 10"), over 99% filtering efficiency, cold air intake.

Having the specs was the easy part. Rots of ruck finding the flow data on the options. Hence... my effort... and consternation.
And I 'spose you want all that to fit under the hood, too?
Yeah, well I want to win powerball and retire to the Bahamas.
Anybody ever told you, you can't always have everything you want?

If that's really necessary, pay Volant to custom build a powercore filter to your specs. But don't expect it to come cheap, and don't expect it to fit in the space of the factory filter.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I understand that as well. Now... if I have a list of filters with their performance graphs, I can sort out which spec(s) I can compromise on (and by how much) to achieve my ultimate goal. The ultimate goal? Over 99% filtration without Stinky trying to suck the filter through the tube - like a milkshake banana chunk through a straw.

What I have right now is many saying the 6637 is good up to 1000 HP and I should not overthink it. Once the 6637 is crossed off the list, I find myself in a spit storm. I'm pretty thick-skinned, so the dog piles and spit storms don't phase me like the truck does. I just wanted to give future shoppers a map through the jungle.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pocket
K&N's flow a lot, and take a long time to trap enough dirt to start restricting airflow..... which happens to be a point of contention regarding the K&N's on these trucks as to whether or not they allow too much dirt to pass.
For the record I do agree get rid of the K&N. But since I stuck running one and I did do some research in the K&N drop in from a technical point of view and talked to K&N R&D guy. I might even still have the email somewhere. Well he said about what you did in a nut shell. He also had pointed out that trying to create a drop in that flowed more cfm with minimal media surface they had to use a media that doesn't trap smaller micron as other media. He also went on to say that their drop in works better if it dirty for the sake of dusting and still flows more cfm than a new stock OEM drop in. Grant it that isn't saying much but I do understand his point as far as what they (K&N) had to work with as far as stock specs but increase flow.

Now I have been running the modded air box and K&N for about about 16,000 miles and I checked the intake tube and wheel for dirt 3 times and the first time at about 3,000 mile there was some dirt and oil I cleaned everything. Checked again about 6k & 12k and less and less dirt each time. I'll have it apart again here in a few weeks so I'll look at it then.

Bottom line is as long as I have this K&N I will NEVER clean it !! Because after about 10k of cleaning it start to work correctly. Is it an improvement over OEM yes but not by much.
So if you are stuck with a K&N drop in filter I say "Never clean it and check the air box lid for leaking."

Until then... OK, 6.0 and 6637 are awesome - I don't have enough flow data to compare. I'll have an S&B and share the AE data, if I see any differences between that and the AIS WOT runs. After I've run Stinky on the S&B and compared it with the AIS, I will have something concrete to stand on... because I wouldn't be counting on published data that I found in a PDF. Until then, all the shopper has is popular opinion and what information they can scrape together.
Rich congrats on the S&B I have always liked them I just don't have the wallet for one. Also I have a friend that runs a S&B on his 6.0 and is very happy with it. Also it nice to see the side by side #'s on the 7.3 and 6.0 specs. And I look forward to hearing your results on the AIS and S&B side by side data wise.
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
dual 6637 intakes FTW.

Now if you are referring what I said "make a REAL air box with twin cool air intakes for the 6637" Well to clear up what I meant is "make a REAL air box with twin fresh air intakes for the for one 6637 inside 1 air box" I guess I didn't word it well. Unless we are talking a 7.3 twin turbo

By the way since I am an old guy I for the life of me can't figure out what "FTW" would mean?? Sorry

Reps sent for offering up the filter for the cause

Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM
clux
Post Fiend
What I have right now is many saying the 6637 is good up to 1000 HP and I should not overthink it. Once the 6637 is crossed off the list, I find myself in a spit storm. I'm pretty thick-skinned, so the dog piles and spit storms don't phase me like the truck does. I just wanted to give future shoppers a map through the jungle.
When Dale Isley invented the TYMAR intake his goal was to put the biggest filter he could fit under the hood for as little money as possible.

That's the design parameters of the 6637 in our application. It's OEM designed application is a 170 hp neighborhood Cummins 5.9l 6BT power unit on Ingersoll-Rand highway pavers and air compressors. It's an effective filter if open element is your cup of tea, even though it's not designed to be an open element filter.

Look for more than that, and yeah it's going to seem like you're lost in the jungle, because there isn't more to it than that.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:49 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz

By the way since I am an old guy I for the life of me can't figure out what "FTW" would mean?? Sorry
"For The Win"