1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiring up 52 truck, lots of questions, Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 AM
kcode
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring up 52 truck, lots of questions, Thanks

My son and I are working on a 52 Ford truck and before he took the engine out, we tried to get the truck running, but there was no power to the starter. We traced every wire we could to try to get it to turn over. Well, we decided to put another 289 in it that was very low mile and he is in the process of getting it all hooked up. At some point in the past it was changed over to a 12v system when the 289 was put in. As he starts to hook everything up, we need to know how to best trace the power down to the starter and I'm wondering if the issue could be in the conversion from 6v to 12v? Anything we should look for? As you can see in the picture, the wiring is a mess.

I guess what I am asking, is, what is the best step by step way to start hooking everything up? Starting point?

Engine stuff is not my thing, but I need to step up and lean it and help my son out lol Thanks for any help. This thread may be a long one just for learning

Here is the truck with the more fresh 289 in it.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Old 11-09-2013, 07:57 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Nothing wrong with a long thread. Especially if there is some learning going on.

Have you considered getting a new aftermarket wiring harness?

There appears to be a bluish wire running from the small post on the front of the starter relay. (also called a solenoid. the thing on the firewall with the battery cable hanging from it) It looks like it runs through the firewall into the cab. Follow that wire to wherever it goes. If your truck uses the key to activate the starter, that wire should go to the key switch. If your truck uses a starter button, then the wire should go to that.

If it uses a starter button: Then trace the other wire from the button. That wire should be hot with the key on. Some people wire it hot all the time (just to keep it simple) but I would wire it so the starter won't engage without the key on. It's much safer that way.

If it uses the key switch to start: There should be a wire running from the switch to the positive side of the battery. It could be on the battery post or on the battery side of the relay. (solenoid) In your case there are wires running from the battery side of the relay, so it's most likely one of those. But you never know till you track it down.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM
kcode
Senior User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Nothing wrong with a long thread. Especially if there is some learning going on.

Have you considered getting a new aftermarket wiring harness?

There appears to be a bluish wire running from the small post on the front of the starter relay. (also called a solenoid. the thing on the firewall with the battery cable hanging from it) It looks like it runs through the firewall into the cab. Follow that wire to wherever it goes. If your truck uses the key to activate the starter, that wire should go to the key switch. If your truck uses a starter button, then the wire should go to that.

If it uses a starter button: Then trace the other wire from the button. That wire should be hot with the key on. Some people wire it hot all the time (just to keep it simple) but I would wire it so the starter won't engage without the key on. It's much safer that way.

If it uses the key switch to start: There should be a wire running from the switch to the positive side of the battery. It could be on the battery post or on the battery side of the relay. (solenoid) In your case there are wires running from the battery side of the relay, so it's most likely one of those. But you never know till you track it down.

I feel like you are nearing the problem to the starting issue. Here is a pic of the inside of the truck. The ignition key seems to have been replaced when they did the 6v to 12v change over. On the firewall on the drivers side there is a porcelain like thing that got really hot when trying to start the truck. Here is a picture of it. Not sure what it is and why it was getting so hot. It seemed like it was not doing it's job to continue the current to the starter?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That porcelain thing is a ballast resistor for the primary side of the ignition coil . Some new coils need them some don't , they protect the coil from excess operating voltage and premature burn out and yes they do get hot enough to burn yourself on . Study the wiring diagram closely and you will see what I am referring to .

Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Since you're running a 289 and have already been converted to 12v, this diagram may be of better use to you.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...at-66ignit.jpg

The resistor getting hot shouldn't even be in the starting circuit. You've definitely got some problems, but you already knew that. My advice would be to start from scratch and then you'll know what you have. The above diagram will help you with what you need for now to get you going.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I can't see the ignition switch but it looks like a stock bezel. Does it have a separate starter button over to the left of the column? You have a late-model solenoid with 4 posts, and electronic ignition it appears. Usually electronic ignitions don't use a ballast resistor.

I see relays (for lights?) and lots of other non-stock stuff. I think you might be better off drawing up a schematic of what you want, and starting from near scratch... Did the PO give you a wiring diagram??

Old 11-09-2013, 10:50 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Basic starter circuit would be (looking at the front of the solenoid) the large terminal on the left to the + terminal on the battery, the large terminal on the right to the hot terminal on the starter, and the small terminal on the left front to the key switch and should only get power when the key it turned to the start position.

My wiring was completely butchered by the PO so I bought a universal Speedway kit. Took a while to do, but I know all the wiring is new and known.

Where in Oregon are you located?

Old 11-09-2013, 03:22 PM
kcode
Senior User
I don't really want to start over lol, but that may be the deal at some point. My son is going to start putting it together this week and we will trace the wires and see what we have. I printed off the wiring diagram for reference........if it even helps

I live in Molalla, Oregon.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:35 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
While it may sound like more work to start fresh, most times it's easier than trying to figure out the mess a PO may have created. It's likely the wrong gauge wiring, anyway.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Hi Kcode

Maybe I missed it, are you running a points distributer or Electronic ignition. I see the box on the firewall but see a points distributor. And I see you are just north of me.(Im in Salem) Nice start on your project by the way. Lots of great people here. If you still haven't figured out the wiring by next weekend maybe I could find some time next Sunday to help a fellow builder.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 PM
kcode
Senior User
Originally Posted by SCRAPHEAP51
Hi Kcode

Maybe I missed it, are you running a points distributer or Electronic ignition. I see the box on the firewall but see a points distributor. And I see you are just north of me.(Im in Salem) Nice start on your project by the way. Lots of great people here. If you still haven't figured out the wiring by next weekend maybe I could find some time next Sunday to help a fellow builder.
Hey, that would be great. I can do body and paint work, but mechanical and electrical stuff I just don't do enough to know anything LOL I have like four early Mustangs and I don't do hardly anything other than making them pretty.

The current motor has points. I have not addressed this issue yet. The old engine must have electronic ignition, I never even looked honestly. I just pulled the engine and set it aside.

Thanks, Steve

Old 11-09-2013, 07:41 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
So are you staying with points or planning to go electronic?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
kcode
Senior User
I really have not thought about it until it was just brought up. I put pertronix on my 65 Mustang.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Steve
I'll send you PM with my number and if still need some help next week I will make arrangements with you to lend you a hand.