Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Building onboard air system - anyone have parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 AM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building onboard air system - anyone have parts?

Have had my truck for a long time but after looking at the cost to replace...I think I am going to hold on to her for awhile longer.

One of my planned projects that I am currently gearing up for is an on-board air system. I have recently purchased a used Viair 450c compressor for a great price. I'm in search of other items now and thought I'd see if anyone around here has anything.

Anything that would go with an onboard air system; fittings, flexible air lines (150psi+), tank, etc.

I already have my horn on my Christmas list but if anyone just happens to have a Grover 1510 they'd like to let go, hit me up!!

I also need to do a crap-ton of wiring on this truck for the upgrades I am in the process of and the planned future add-ons. If anyone has spools of wiring let me know.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 AM
coolbluef150
Freshman User
I don't have any air system parts, I do have some wiring ......bit I do have lots of tools and an eagerness to help a brother out.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Plastic line? I get that at Cross truck parts(actual DOT rated line). Any "big rig" parts store has that it at minimal cost/foot. The brass fittings are also in the same place.

I'd check around truck junk yard for a tank. I think I had less then $35? each for the two tanks I put on my Mack when I stretched the frame and put air ride on it. They were just take offs, even had mounting studs installed on them for easy installation.

Horn? I have one spare horn, don't know the part number. It is a matching unit to the single I have on my truck. Just was waiting to find the front support arm before I try to put it on my truck. There again, truck junk yard is best place.

I used a little yard here in Barberton for all my stuff. Really reasonable prices compared to some of the big yards(like Adelmans in Canton).

Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 AM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Figures, I was just down that way a week ago - the night you made that post!!

Is the plastic line rated for 150psi? I would imagine a tank from a Mack would be too big for the Superduty. I have seen guys put up to 5 gallon but I need to find that "right fit" size tank for the compressor.

The 450c is 100% duty-cycle and I think a 2-3 gallon tank is about right for what I need.

I found a 2.5 gallon Viair tank for about $65 new, shipped. I just put the horn on my "list for Santa" and handed that to the wife, LOL!!! I really want a stuttertone horn, not a train horn which seems to be all the rage right now. I'm not going to drive around the mall scaring teenagers but I want something with authority!

Someone on here mounted their compressor in an ammo box and I love that idea!! There is a gun shop nearby that has lots of old ammo boxes so I will stop in there and find one that fits the size for this compressor.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Hard to tell scale, what size are those tanks? I would guess 5-7 gallon?

Originally Posted by Freightrain
Plastic line? I get that at Cross truck parts(actual DOT rated line). Any "big rig" parts store has that it at minimal cost/foot. The brass fittings are also in the same place.

I'd check around truck junk yard for a tank. I think I had less then $35? each for the two tanks I put on my Mack when I stretched the frame and put air ride on it. They were just take offs, even had mounting studs installed on them for easy installation.

Horn? I have one spare horn, don't know the part number. It is a matching unit to the single I have on my truck. Just was waiting to find the front support arm before I try to put it on my truck. There again, truck junk yard is best place.

I used a little yard here in Barberton for all my stuff. Really reasonable prices compared to some of the big yards(like Adelmans in Canton).

Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

6-7" round? about 24"-30" long? Something like that. Have to actually measure them to see.

Pretty sure all the DOT line is rated for 150#, as it has to deal with brakes and you know they would not allow it if it was marginal. Most any big truck has 120-130# high side shut off for compressor.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
7" Dia. x 30" long would be about 5 gallon, I believe. I have no idea how to match up the compressor size to the tank size. However, most of the time I see a 450C compressor it is matched to a 2.5 or 3 gallon tank. I am sure it would fill five gallons but just take a lot longer to do so. It is a 100% duty-cycle so it could run continuously until filled.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Not like you have constant use for the air, so the pump would not have to run forever. I don't know what the compressor looks like, but on my Mack it takes a 1-2 minutes to fill one tank with motor idling(like a cold start up after a week sitting). Don't know what the CFM rating is? Looking up your compressor it is .9 CFM at 100 psi. Not alot of volume(but who needs it).

I'd go with a bigger tank if possible. You can always use it for filling a tire? changing a flat(with air gun). Whatever. Mount it longways along outside the frame under the bed.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
With my air horns I ran a 2 gallon tank mounted to the inside of the hitch then took my air compressor and mounted that tucked up inside the x bracing of the spare tire welded to the frame ( all seemed like the safest place for everything). For pump to tank piping I used a ss braded line with swage lock fittings. I forgot what kind of hose I used for the tank to horns it was just a rubber hose I'll look at it if you need me to.
I took all that stuff off and it's sitting in the garage waiting for a revised version of my tank that I'm making. I have 4 - 3" ss pipes welded in parallel 30" long that I'm going to be putting on as my new tank when I get around to finishing. I may add one more piece of pipe to that. I'll hook up my air horn again but am going to add a line with a T and split the line to come out mid way on each side of the truck with quick disconnects and put a short air hose in the cab of the truck along with an impact. This way if I get a flat and I can hook up the impact and or air chuck to fill up or change my tire.