1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 FORD F-1 LIGHTNING (20year project)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think its great that your enthusiastic about this build. I kind of think you mite be sensing a little negativity about it, let me explain if I can. This is only my opinion but you are the lucky owner of two of Fords classic very sought after and loved pic ups. with plans to merge them. Sounds good but I think most would think your killing both pristeen beauties to attempt this. Of course you are the owner and you can do what ever your imagination can come up with. A lot of members have seen total frame swaps end up half done and abandoned due to un forseen problems, and would hate to see it happen to you. If I was lucky enough to own these two trucks I think I would find a drivetrain from a wrecked or otherwise less less perfect classic and put it into the F1, and upgrade the suspension to taste This would be much easier and then you could have two Ford classics. This is a very friendly site and like I said do what pleases you, but I thought you should know why you got some unfavorable feed back, wich is very rare on this site. Please don't think anyone is being hostile, they just hate to see any classic in good condition die. If Im out of line I apologize, I just thought you should know. Best of luck, and enjoy your build.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think its great that your enthusiastic about this build. I kind of think you mite be sensing a little negativity about it, let me explain if I can. This is only my opinion but you are the lucky owner of two of Fords classic very sought after and loved pic ups. with plans to merge them. Sounds good but I think most would think your killing both pristeen beauties to attempt this. Of course you are the owner and you can do what ever your imagination can come up with. A lot of members have seen total frame swaps end up half done and abandoned due to un forseen problems, and would hate to see it happen to you. If I was lucky enough to own these two trucks I think I would find a drivetrain from a wrecked or otherwise less less perfect classic and put it into the F1, and upgrade the suspension to taste This would be much easier and then you could have two Ford classics. This is a very friendly site and like I said do what pleases you, but I thought you should know why you got some unfavorable feed back, wich is very rare on this site. Please don't think anyone is being hostile, they just hate to see any classic in good condition die. If Im out of line I apologize, I just thought you should know. Best of luck, and enjoy your build.
From my view, you are spot on.....

Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said Jim- My 2 cents for what it is worth -- your truck looks in better shape than mine was when I bought it. If I would have found this site before I started switching things I would have saved a lot of time not to mention dollars. These guys know what they are talking about and the really neat part is they share the knowledge. You say it's a 20 year build so take a little time and really find out what works and what doesn't. Unless the frame is totally shot you may find you would be better off switching the front and rear suspensions. Dropping the crate engine and trans in and enjoy it. You can build a lot of good memories driving around in a few years with both your son and your dad. Will you be able to say that in 20 years? Again just my 2 cents. Most important thing is do what you want but have fun doing it.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM
BleednBlue68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to see this project finished. Would be really cool. But only way Id do it is if the lightning was totalled already and body not worth fixing. Then Id be all over it. Those lightnings are rare and that one looks very damn good. They are collectors items just like that old F1 you got. But thats just me. Sounds like we all are gonna be waiting way too long for this to be done haha. Gitrdone!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I didn't think I was being negative, just pointing out some of the serious obstacles that are going to have to be overcome. These aren't plastic model kits where you can grind a little here, fill a little there and use a lot of glue to stick them all together and they look OK sitting on a shelf, these are real vehicles that someday (hopefully) are supposed to drive safely, sensibly, and practically down the highway. I have seen even more difficult combos made to work (Cars built on Fire engine chassis with WW2 tank engines, motorcycle with gas turbine engine out of a helicopter (Jay Leno owns one of each of these), street legal antique bumper cars, 70's mustang body and engine on a Supra chassis (friend of mine), jet engine in a Mack truck. cars made from a wood horse drawn hearse and a from a casket, but they were mostly done by highly skilled and experienced builders in professional shops, primarily to show off their skills. None are particularly practical transportation, cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to build and no one in their right mind would hand the keys for over to a 16 year old to drive to school. There's sometimes the major gap between "can" it be done, and "should" it be done, as well as the odds of successful completion given a builder's skill level to be considered.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I`m greedy and would want to have both of these trucks, besides I love Lightnings way too much to ever part one out.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I didn't think I was being negative, just pointing out some of the serious obstacles that are going to have to be overcome. These aren't plastic model kits where you can grind a little here, fill a little there and use a lot of glue to stick them all together and they look OK sitting on a shelf, these are real vehicles that someday (hopefully) are supposed to drive safely, sensibly, and practically down the highway. I have seen even more difficult combos made to work (Cars built on Fire engine chassis with WW2 tank engines, motorcycle with gas turbine engine out of a helicopter (Jay Leno owns one of each of these), street legal antique bumper cars, 70's mustang body and engine on a Supra chassis (friend of mine), jet engine in a Mack truck. cars made from a wood horse drawn hearse and a from a casket, but they were mostly done by highly skilled and experienced builders in professional shops, primarily to show off their skills. None are particularly practical transportation, cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to build and no one in their right mind would hand the keys for over to a 16 year old to drive to school. There's sometimes the major gap between "can" it be done, and "should" it be done, as well as the odds of successful completion given a builder's skill level to be considered.
Your good AX , I wasn't, and strive never to single any one post out. I was referring to the overall mood of the thread. As always it takes everybody's
input, ideas, and knowledge to make a good thread. Sorry If I made anyone feel singled out.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,455 Posts
I agree with what Ax has warned you about. But here is another sobering thought. There is no guarantee that your cute son will be interested in trucks when he becomes 16, even though he likes messing around the truck now with his Daddy. We never know what our kids will like and enjoy as they head to adulthood. So, build it for yourself and if he likes it you can pass it unto him when you like.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
haerer19
New User
Yah, sensitive topic here, huh.
Im cutting up two nice classic trucks to make one.
I understand, and Ive dealt with it before on other forum builds.
There's going to be some that say NO, don’t cut that up, others will love it.

I've always made very sharp cars & motorcycles
and made good money on the builds.
This one is for me however,
Im a very picky perfectionist, and a very skilled worker.
I've also learned when you start with crap, you end up with crap.
The nicer the donor vehicles are the nicer the end result is.

Also you mean to tell me that the 48' Ford body wont just bolt onto the 2002 frame???? Aww man... Well I hope at least the wiring will all match up! Lol.

Its not really a 20 year project, 8 years is already gone,
I'm guessing it will be done and on the road in 4-5 years.

Also I never said I was giving the truck to my son, not yet at least maybe in 35 years. This is my truck!
Yah, I'm sure my dad & son will help a lot over the next few years, a family project build. Makes it mean even more to me.

But, Thanks though for all your input.
Sorry to those who are going to hate this project,
or just don’t see it happening.

Take it easy!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 AM
1low50
Senior User
Good for you. I hope it works out and am interested to see how it does work out. Many have had the same idea you have had but they never actually got going on the idea.

Your pretty spot on about the better shape of the donor, it just hurts those that started with lesser trucks a little. It's your money, your time and ultimately your memories to make.

Good luck

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by haerer19

Also you mean to tell me that the 48' Ford body wont just bolt onto the 2002 frame???? Aww man... Well I hope at least the wiring will all match up! Lol.

Also I never said I was giving the truck to my son, not yet at least maybe in 35 years. This is my truck!
Yah, I'm sure my dad & son will help a lot over the next few years, a family project build. Makes it mean even more to me.

Take it easy!
Can I get an AMEN!!!

"I've also learned when you start with crap, you end up with crap."

Can I get another AMEN!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:24 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by haerer19

Take it easy!
I don't think any of the poster 'Hate this project', it's just that over the years we have seen countless new members come onboard with great new ideas for conversions that are very difficult and extremely expensive to complete. Of the hundreds of frame swaps that we have seen started, barely a handful have ever actually been completed. The post by some of our senior and experienced posters were not intended to insult you, but were intended to share information with you. (that is why you came here, right? for more information?) No project is impossible, but some, such as yours demand a lot of specialized engineering, specialized equipment, hundreds, if not thousands of hours labor and either a very highly skilled person (on multiple levels) or a nearly unlimited budget.
I search Craigslist sites and other classified sites on a regular basis for these old trucks and parts. Unfortunately I run across hundreds of ads with old trucks that have been butchered by attempts at frame swaps or suspension swaps that just don't work and the project is then abandoned and the end result is a pile of parts, many that are no longer useful.

You have expressed great confidence in your ability to complete this project and we all truly hope that you can do it. I and the rest of the guys here will follow your progress, as we all hope that you will stay here and keep us informed of your progress. BTW, we do all love lots of pictures, so please start a 'Build' thread and keep us informed of your progress. Nobody here thinks that they know everything, so hopefully your progress will enable you to share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
Well, what others have said is from experience either seeing it here or other forums. If you can pull it off I say go for it, I always like pulling for the "under dog" and I hope you keep posting updates here. Anything can be done if you have the right skills and a lot of drive to see it through, only you know what you have and what you can do. I've seen some amazing builds here and on some of these tv shows and yes I know the show guys have all the resources but someone still had to build it. I say take what everyone here has said, think it over really good (if you haven't already) and if you still want to go for it then do it.

Keep posting progress though.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:00 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Well I must say your project is very substantial and ambitious.Far more than my own.Being a carpenter of 20 plus years there aren't too many projects I shy away from.While it is a shame to dismember the lightning I think it would make an awesome 48.If you have the confidence and know how to do it, go for it. It will be interesting to see how you go about the build.And remember they love pic's. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
I personally don't have the heart to dismember a good vehicle. But if I did I would. If I had it to do over again, I would find a good late model donor and move my cab onto it. If you can fabricate and you are a mechanic and you have ambition, then I can't see how it would be so difficult. The old saying applies "if it was easy everyone would do it". With the money I spent on my suspension and brake systems I could have bought a running driver for a donor and had a user friendly truck. Don't get me wrong, I love my old 55 F500 but it is notmy dream truck and can't be with the way it is right now.

So I say if you know what you want, make it happen!

Quick Reply: 1948 FORD F-1 LIGHTNING (20year project)