1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dist. Primary Wire to negative post on coil??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dist. Primary Wire to negative post on coil??

I bought and installed a new coil on my 48 F3 (239 V8) and I wasn't sure which wire to connect to which post...I have the distributor primary wire attached to the negative post on the coil and the wire to the solenoid on the positive post. I tried starting the truck but it won't start now...and it was running with the old coil a few days ago. I was wondering if this is the correct way to connect the coil and if so how can I test it to see if the new coil is bad. I checked for spark at the plug and it has none...and the points aren't really sparking either...any advice would be appreciated. Jeff K

Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Branded
Senior User
The wire from the distributor to the coil goes on the negative side of the coil, the positive side of the coil gets power from the ignition switch. When the points are open, the coil is basicaly absorbing electricity, it is nothing more than a capasitor. Once the points close and completes the circuit to ground, the electro magnetic field that builds up when the points were open, collapses and the stored energy travels out the coil wire in the form of a high voltage spark.
If you don't already know point gap is important, the points need to be clean. They used to make very small files for the purpose of filing the point contact surfaces flat, when they are flat the points work much better. Most single point systems used around .017 point gap, dual points used more like .013 or .014 gap. The larger the gap, the more coil saturation time.
</ARTICLE>

Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't the fact that he may still have a positive ground system make a difference?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Branded
Senior User
Just took for granted that it was converted to neg ground. If the the truck is positive ground the ignition coil should be hooked up reverse of negative ground cars. The positive pole goes to the distributor and the negative goes to the ignition wire from the switch. The coil will work both ways ...but it will work better wired properly.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Is the truck still 6v/ positive ground? If so, the (+) side of a coil made for 6v (+) would connect to the points.

With the stock wiring, there is no wire to the solenoid. The (-) side of the coil gets power from the ignition switch.

(looks like Arctic beat me to it)

Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Is the truck still 6v/ positive ground? If so, the (+) side of a coil made for 6v (+) would connect to the points.

With the stock wiring, there is no wire to the solenoid. The (-) side of the coil gets power from the ignition switch.

(looks like Arctic beat me to it)
Well that about a first Ross.
Am I King for a day now?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
Truck is still positive ground...Dist. wire is to negative post on coil...it was running before the new coil...could the ignition switch be bad?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The wiring at the coil is backwards. To test it after you switch them, run a wire direct from (-) terminal on battery to the coil (-). Then try starting.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Jeff K
Junior User
Thanks for suggestions...something to do tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Jeff, you really need to invest, and use, an el cheapo digital voltmeter (I prefer analog, but I am a fossil). If you have voltage (approximately 6 volts) at the wire from the ignition switch to the coil, the problem is somewhere within the coil, distributor, or the wiring connecting them.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 AM
Jeff K
Junior User
J.D. I've got a regular analog voltmeter I'll try checking the wires today to see if I can isolate the problem...still not completely clear if I have the coil hooked up correctly...the old coil had one of the posts marked Dist so it was pretty simple...the new one just has pos (+) and neg (-). My truck has the ground cable to the positive terminal on the battery, so which post does the primary wire from the Dist. go to on the coil? Jeff

Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Branded
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeff K
J.D. My truck has the ground cable to the positive terminal on the battery, so which post does the primary wire from the Dist. go to on the coil? Jeff

Pos (+) ...............

Old 11-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Jeff K
Junior User
Hooked coil up correctly and ole Buck started...imagine that!!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Branded
Senior User
Cool.... now its time for a Sunday afternoon cruise

Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Glad ya got it. And thanks Ross.

Quick Reply: Dist. Primary Wire to negative post on coil??