Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever done a vacuum test with a cigar

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 PM
scrobbie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever done a vacuum test with a cigar

Has Anyone ever done vacuum leak test with a cigar on there f150? i have a 88 with a 5.0 and if so what vacuum hose did you use to do this with? Just curious, Thanks Scrobbie.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scrobbie
Has Anyone ever done vacuum leak test with a cigar on there f150? i have a 88 with a 5.0 and if so what vacuum hose did you use to do this with? Just curious, Thanks Scrobbie.

Better off taking few minutes put together a smoke machine to check for vac leaks.

Doesn't take much metal container couple fittings little bit of hose and you have it.

vacuumsmoker2_zps3d5cc22e.mp4 Video by danr1 | Photobucket

Made mine with what had laying around the house.

Bonus points for anyone knows what it used to be LOL!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:02 PM
scrobbie
Elder User
Thats pretty cool brother thanks for showing me that.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
looks like a receiver/drier from an AC system.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:22 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tjc transport
looks like a receiver/drier from an AC system.
Reasonable guess based on what can be seen but nope not a receiver/drier.

That video isn't very good at all it was first test run to be sure it'd pump out enough smoke and long enough to be useful, ran video on phone but that was secondary to what I was doing. Wasn't real sure it was big enough vessel keep a smoldering rag going in if at all, rag set on fire with little trans fluid on it then snuffed out, 1 or 2psi of air behind it.

When I actually tested the truck checking it for leaks with the breather blocked off properly set up for the test I didn't record video, I intended to make a better video then but didn't, weather/rain was working against me big time at that point so just got the test done.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 PM
BigBlueBomb
Senior User
I use a 5 gallon bucket, some hoses, warm water and dry ice. The "smoke" is just C02 so it wont hurt or clog anything. And you dont need a smoke machine.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
a common vacuum tester works wonders.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:02 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
I kinda like the smoke machine. Not enough duct tape tho,HeeHee.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 PM
scrobbie
Elder User
I do have a vacuum gauge tester. Thanks all for your replies and where is the best place to hook it up at

Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Yea I have a handy vac and use it however the smoke machine "machine" kind of a stretch there, I used the term machine becasue that's what they are called. No machine about em though.

I wanted to check for intake leaks didn't think I had one but wanted to check, I found three leaks I wouldn't have found any other way including using plain water as I used to do.

Had two vac lines leaking just a little bit where connected to the vacuum tree, no biggie there couple clamps fixed em quick enough.

Worse leak was the body of the IAC, it leaked out the seam and the vent, I changed out the IAC after seeing it leaking like that. The replacement IAC while it did show a small amount leakage out the vent, normal reaction to "back pressure", it was nothing like the one it had on it and did not leak out the seam at all.

Running in overdrive at 55mph on flat ground/@1400rpm, the vacuum reading increased 4hg after the repair.
It rose from 7hg running at 55mph to 11hg, a decrease in perceived engine loading seen by the computer that should net me an improvement in fuel econ. Might not be much no but take what I can get anyway I can get it @350gal!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:03 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Smoke machine I use at work uses plain ol baby oil. It's essentially a heating element with an air pressure regulator and fitting on one side and an outlet hose on the other. It's regulated down to 1psi since that's all evap systems can handle.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 PM
scrobbie
Elder User
Hey danr1 I appreciate the reply man maybe I should just go through and replace all the plastic with new rubber hose but I wouldn't even know what id hose to buy? The reason i asked about the vacuum gauge tester, I just wanted to see how much vacuum I had But I dont know where to check that at, either. Thanks again

Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 PM
scrobbie
Elder User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
Smoke machine I use at work uses plain ol baby oil. It's essentially a heating element with an air pressure regulator and fitting on one side and an outlet hose on the other. It's regulated down to 1psi since that's all evap systems can handle.
Hey man thanks for the reply and I saw the description of your scooter I have an ironhead sporty xlh 1000 its a 82 last of the irons.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 PM
scrobbie
Elder User
Remember the other OBD code 33

Originally Posted by danr1
Yea I have a handy vac and use it however the smoke machine "machine" kind of a stretch there, I used the term machine becasue that's what they are called. No machine about em though.

I wanted to check for intake leaks didn't think I had one but wanted to check, I found three leaks I wouldn't have found any other way including using plain water as I used to do.

Had two vac lines leaking just a little bit where connected to the vacuum tree, no biggie there couple clamps fixed em quick enough.

Worse leak was the body of the IAC, it leaked out the seam and the vent, I changed out the IAC after seeing it leaking like that. The replacement IAC while it did show a small amount leakage out the vent, normal reaction to "back pressure", it was nothing like the one it had on it and did not leak out the seam at all.

Running in overdrive at 55mph on flat ground/@1400rpm, the vacuum reading increased 4hg after the repair.
It rose from 7hg running at 55mph to 11hg, a decrease in perceived engine loading seen by the computer that should net me an improvement in fuel econ. Might not be much no but take what I can get anyway I can get it @350gal!
Hey remember the other code 33 i told you about2carpros.com is where it is Theres says TPS sensor noisy/harsh on line its under ford obd1 trouble codes.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
Yea that's what I would consider a machine, a metal canister with smoldering rag in it? no not so much.

I turned the regulator/separator on the compressor down as low as it would go yet still deliver air, wasn't much more than 1psi 2 tops. I could put my thumb over the end of the hose with no effort at all and stop it.
I didn't want to blow every gasket on it in the process but yet enough to show any leaks. The video, video is deceiving far as that goes, makes it look like quite a bit of force behind it but has a weak flow.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever done a vacuum test with a cigar