1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm so excited!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
learned something new this morning...sorry about the misinformation on my part..

Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Finally got it home.Took forever.

Not sure if it's red or gray.
How did that get in there?Gets pretty cold in MN.

1904 on a 48?

Guess I figured it out.Took all the tips and how-to's,threw em all together and it worked ,maybe.My son helped me do these ,hope he remembers how.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Dang, that's NICE. There are so many nice trucks coming outa the woodwork around here lately. You really scored on that truck!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
I seeyou have a BSA in your arsenal.COVET COVET.I had a couple Triumph Bonnevilles back in the day.The two companies had quite a history back then. I wish I had found this truck twenty years ago when I was still buildin' bikes. Icould cruise town with my 69 sportster on the back. Kids and bills took care of those days, don't have much of a desire to get another bike due to my bad back but I got me a truck.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Congrats. Looks like you have a project to begin.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:01 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, you did get a heck of a truck. I'm down to riding the BSA about twice a year. I went 25 years with the kids and bills, no bikes. Then the wife ran off with the neighbor, kids stayed on with dad and they let me buy this old bike. Now I'm remarried and the bike lives out in the shed, no longer in the living room......But during 15 years of single life, I brought home a ****pile of trucks!

Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear about the wife,we've been married 26 years now.Sometimes life throws us a curve ball,we just got to step back and take our best swing. Was out tryin' to start the truck up to move it in the shop.No go.Kinda melted the cheesey clamp on the battery cable.I put a longer cable on, runs all the way down by the starter now thinkin' that mite help it turn over a bit faster. Didn't do much for it. Got it to pop a few times and then the battery was dead.Searched some threads about jump starting with a 12 volt battery, somewhat confusing, one thread says do it this way, another says don't you'll burn somethin' up.I think I'll clean everything up real good and see what happens then.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:23 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Well I found some #2 gauge wires.One is 15 in. and the other is 32in.I think the long one I have down by the starter will stay and I'll find a spot on the frame to attach it to.The new long one will go from the battery to the small bolt on the rear of the head.And the new short one will go to the solenoid.I hope the heavier wires will carry the current a bit easier.The carb is gonna need some work too. Left the I.V. hangin' last nite and the manifold under the carb was wet this morning.Looks like an oil change pretty soon too.Gonna measure for new brake and fuel lines tom. too.Have to see if NAPA has enough in stock.I'm wondering if 1/4 inch is big enough for the fuel line?It had some copper line there before.Not sure I like that idea too much.The gas tank is good and clean now too.Thinkin' I'll take the seat out,vac. out the mouse poop and put that in. Still have to take the old rotten bed off tooI'll prolly take some pics for future reference.I'm beginning to think the weekends aren't long enough.Maybe I'll just work four days a week, tha t'll give me 3 to tame the beast. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Any tips or ideas would be most appreciated.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:38 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
thought this was pretty nifty.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:13 PM
jrmwilson
Junior User
Slow down and savor your project

Originally Posted by toby tough
Well I found some #2 gauge wires.One is 15 in. and the other is 32in.I think the long one I have down by the starter will stay and I'll find a spot on the frame to attach it to.The new long one will go from the battery to the small bolt on the rear of the head.And the new short one will go to the solenoid.I hope the heavier wires will carry the current a bit easier.The carb is gonna need some work too. Left the I.V. hangin' last nite and the manifold under the carb was wet this morning.Looks like an oil change pretty soon too.Gonna measure for new brake and fuel lines tom. too.Have to see if NAPA has enough in stock.I'm wondering if 1/4 inch is big enough for the fuel line?It had some copper line there before.Not sure I like that idea too much.The gas tank is good and clean now too.Thinkin' I'll take the seat out,vac. out the mouse poop and put that in. Still have to take the old rotten bed off tooI'll prolly take some pics for future reference.I'm beginning to think the weekends aren't long enough.Maybe I'll just work four days a week, tha t'll give me 3 to tame the beast. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Any tips or ideas would be most appreciated.
Welcome to old trucks. You will find your pace that suits you. The whole experience will be enjoyable if you don't schedule it. Even if you only have 15 minutes a week, you'll have a blast and learn a lot. Especially from your friends here on FTE.
The wiring harness that goes by your battery is fragile. On my F-6, apparently there was some battery acid spilled on it over the years. Mine was running out of the field but then stopped. When I opened that harness, the insulation fell out like dust and all I had was bare wires. The only thing I lost was the generator.
You have a great looking project. There are more still out there.
Mr.Wilson

Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Toby,
if your truck is a 6 volt you will need 1 gauge or 0 gauge cables. You might have to get them made at a shop that rebuilds generators and alternators and starters.... and make sure your ground points are free of paint and rust...

Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you need heavy battery cables, try a welding supply house. Welding cable comes in sizes to several ought. The cable has more smaller diameter wires than battery cables which makes it more flexible and conducts current more efficiently.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a good looking F4! It has a great patina too. Many folks appreciate the natural look that only time and Mother Nature can provide. Do keep us posted with your progress, there are several of us on here that are on the same big-truck road.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:15 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Toby,
if your truck is a 6 volt you will need 1 gauge or 0 gauge cables. You might have to get them made at a shop that rebuilds generators and alternators and starters.... and make sure your ground points are free of paint and rust...
preferably the 0 gauge or 00 gauge

Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Thanks for the tips guys, When I bought the 2 gauge wires I had originally wanted to go to the AWG store next to O'Reilly's.Turned out they were closed.When I put the 2 gauge ones on I cleaned everything up good before installing them.Didn't get much better.Got to wondering about the starter so I dropped that,remembering to put the nut on the thru bolt.Little bit of a trick to get it outta there.Looked at the brushes and commutator. Brushes are almost gone,less than 1/2 inch long maybe.Commutator has a good size gouge on the side towards the armature.Spun O.K. on my bench but under load not so good.Iv'e heard these motors turn over somewhat slow but this is ridiculous.Last time it ran we pulled it.Saw on the parts for sale thing on top there that cody 1948 has one for sale.He hasn't gotten back to me yet. By the way ,what carbs did the sixes originally have?I think mines a 1904 with the metal bowl.It needs to get rebuilt for sure. Prolly be a week or two before I can get parts.Stupid water heater took a dump so I used my truck fund for that fiasco.Some sacrifices must be made.Besides ice cold showers aren't my thing these days. Oh well,The dog is drivin' me nuts here, she's lealous of the computer. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: I'm so excited!