Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 F250 oil pan gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 PM
mrlj22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 F250 oil pan gasket replacement

This truck is a 4x4 extra cab 5.8L with a manual transmission.

I didn't even guess if I needed to raise the engine, after reading some great posts here, I decided I would go that route.
(I think because I just joined this forum I can't post pictures, although I did take them and will edit this post with those pics, when I'm allowed)

I started with removing the transmission mounting nuts .
I almost forgot to drain the oil .
I removed both exhaust pipe to manifold nuts on both sides.
I removed both engine mount nuts.

At this point I inspected the radiator fan to shroud clearance, and the firewall to engine clearance. It doesn't look like I'm

going to be able to lift the engine more than 2-3 inches tops, so I decided the fan and intake system can stay put ( I may be wrong, we'll see).

I removed all of the oil pan bolts, and quit for the day.

I ran to Napa Auto to exchange the cheap cork gasket with the blue silicone once piece.

Questions:

Where do I put my jack to lift the engine?

The oil pan had semi-thick metal plates running the length of the oil pan, the bolts go through, it's obvious it's for even

distribution of sealing pressure, but is this an aftermarket item or standard?

After I remove the oil pan, is there anything I should look for to make sure there are no problems with the underside of the engine?

I will post my progress tomorrow.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
-You can jack the engine using a block of wood on the crank pulley.

-Those plates are factory.

-For "just because you're already there" reasons, throw in a new oil pump. They're pretty cheap, and dropping the oil pan isn't one of those jobs you want to do twice if you can avoid it. At the very least, remove the oil pump pickup (which also makes it easier to get the oil pan off) and clean that up.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 PM
mrlj22
New User
okay, thanks Bob, I just purchased the oil pump. I was getting pretty frustrated why I couldn't get that oil pan down, and remembered about taking off the oil pump.

Question, the old gasket looks like it's in pretty good shape,and is the same one I'll be installing, is this a bad sign, like could be a front seal? Is there anyway I can figure that out before reinstalling the oil pan?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Hmm. Could be a front seal I suppose. Best way to tell is to wipe it as clean as you can, and try to see if it's still pliable. Once seals become brittle or hardened, they don't seal well. If it's still pliable, it should be OK.

Has anyone done a timing cover gasket on it? Because the pan seals against the timing cover, if the timing cover was taken off, it's very easy to develop a leak at the timing cover/pan gasket surface. In this case, the new gasket will solve your issues.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 AM
mrlj22
New User
Thanks again for the reply. I'll check the front seal once I get the oil pan off.

Today's adventures included lifting the engine till it touched the firewall and put wedged-shaped 2x4's on the engine mounts.

I was about the remove the exhaust pipes that connect to the manifold but they rotated enough out of the way.

I removed the two bolts holding the oil pump and the one nut that holds the oil pump pickup. They are in the pan, and still somewhat obstructing my ability to take the oil pan off.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:35 AM
mrlj22
New User
I did notice very close to the oil pump there is some kind of probe or rod that is obstructing the oil pan from coming down. Is this an oil pressure or temp gauge device? and more importantly can it be removed?

I'm still taking pictures of all of this but I still am not allowed to attach them.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:40 AM
mrlj22
New User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Has anyone done a timing cover gasket on it? Because the pan seals against the timing cover, if the timing cover was taken off, it's very easy to develop a leak at the timing cover/pan gasket surface. In this case, the new gasket will solve your issues.
I just bought this truck so I don't know, but where about is the timing cover? the leak is coming from the front driver's side corner of the oil pan, right near the oil pump.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:43 AM
slashfan7964
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlj22

I just bought this truck so I don't know, but where about is the timing cover? the leak is coming from the front driver's side corner of the oil pan, right near the oil pump.
Oh boy you better hope that's not leaking.

The timing cover is up front on the engine right up hugging the block. Its a big solid case that runs up over the front of the block. And the only way to get it off is to rip everything else out. All brackets, pulleys, accessories, water pump, power steering... everything. I had the timing chain go once....truck sat for a long time working on it. Unless you got all day o work on it have fun because its gonna take more than a weekend to pull out and replace. Ill try and get some pics for you.

Edit

Your looking at the front of the engine out of a vehicle. The grey area on the block is where the timing cover goes. cover an gasket replacement is a time consuming task but neither part is too expensive.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
I did notice very close to the oil pump there is some kind of probe or rod that is obstructing the oil pan from coming down. Is this an oil pressure or temp gauge device? and more importantly can it be removed?

I'm still taking pictures of all of this but I still am not allowed to attach them.
That's most likely the oil pump drive shaft. It connects to the distributor. It's been a long time since I did this on my old truck, but I think I had to remove the distributor and pull that shaft out.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:26 AM
mrlj22
New User
Originally Posted by slashfan7964
Oh boy you better hope that's not leaking.

The timing cover is up front on the engine right up hugging the block. Its a big solid case that runs up over the front of the block. And the only way to get it off is to rip everything else out. All brackets, pulleys, accessories, water pump, power steering... everything. I had the timing chain go once....truck sat for a long time working on it. Unless you got all day o work on it have fun because its gonna take more than a weekend to pull out and replace. Ill try and get some pics for you.

Thanks for the helpful info, Slashfan. Yeah, that would be quite an ugly project, I'll keep posting my progress

Old 11-02-2013, 11:30 AM
mrlj22
New User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
That's most likely the oil pump drive shaft. It connects to the distributor. It's been a long time since I did this on my old truck, but I think I had to remove the distributor and pull that shaft out.
Okay, great info, let the disassembly continue

Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 PM
belchfire
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The one piece gasket was a good choice. There are some locating dingleberries that help to hold in place when you re-assemble it.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:29 PM
slashfan7964
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the helpful info, Slashfan. Yeah, that would be quite an ugly project, I'll keep posting my progress
Definitely keep me informed

Old 11-02-2013, 04:25 PM
mrlj22
New User
Well, the order of removal was pretty important I see. I took off the oil pump before removing the oil pickup bar and now they are semi-jammed in the oil pan. I was able to get one bolt removed from the pickup bar and loosen the other, but as the bolt unthreads it's pressing against the the inside of the oil pan, Two hours trying to get that sucker out of there and no progress. I'm off to lowe's to buy a racheting box end

Old 11-03-2013, 04:14 PM
mrlj22
New User
so I got the oil pickup disconnected from the oil pump, and being able to move the pan a little more, I see the pump shaft is actually stuck inside the middle of the pump arm that has the two holes on either side of it for the mounting bolts to go through. This is pinning the oil pump to the bottom of the oil pan. How does that song go, " if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have none."

The pump shaft doesn't go in that hole, does it?

I am so lost on how to get this oil pan down, Day 3 or 4, I feel like the world's biggest F....... idiot.

Quick Reply: 92 F250 oil pan gasket replacement