6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Sync - default to Bluetooth stream instead of line-in

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Sync - default to Bluetooth stream instead of line-in

Does anyone know how to get the "Media" line in to default to Bluetooth?

My preferred way of listening to music is streaming Pandora through my iPhone (4s with iOS7) - but each time I start the truck, the default Media option is "Line In" - the phone connects to Bluetooth fine, but each time I have to go in and change the media streaming to be via Bluetooth instead of Line-In.

Trivial I know, but its nice just to start the truck and have good tunes immediately

Old 10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I hear ya. I'm still waiting for the option to disable certain media types. I don't listen to the radio at all so I'd like to disable AM/FM entirely and not have to jump through them every time when changing sources. /1st world problems..

Anyways, I don't think it'll default to BT because the stereo starts up before SYNC connects to the phone, so it defaults to other source available (with nothing plugged in). At least that's my theory.

I've never been able to get mine to default to BT either FWIW.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
I agree, that could be why, just in my old 2000, I fitted an aftermarket blue tooth system (Funkwerk - really good!), and it would just start playing as soon as the phone connected.

Very much first world problems.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,992 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I can't get it to fire up my iPod plugged into USB 2. I always have to press media and then it plays. Annoying, but I live with it because my truck has more torque than I know what to do with.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
^^Never enough torque!!!

*evil Halloween laugh*

Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
The audio quality of the BT link is horrible. I find it unusable. The analog input is much better. Only think worse is the satellite radio which I rate at F-.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
I haven't had a problem with the BT for audio quality (although I haven't compared it to the analog input) - but I am streaming from Pandora which won't be as high a quality as music saved on a device at a decent bit-rate, and I also still have the stock speakers (replacing them next weekend).

Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
I agree, that could be why, just in my old 2000, I fitted an aftermarket blue tooth system (Funkwerk - really good!), and it would just start playing as soon as the phone connected. Very much first world problems.
Where u get the funk week? I need something for our stock 2009

Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
Does anyone know how to get the "Media" line in to default to Bluetooth?

My preferred way of listening to music is streaming Pandora through my iPhone (4s with iOS7) - but each time I start the truck, the default Media option is "Line In" - the phone connects to Bluetooth fine, but each time I have to go in and change the media streaming to be via Bluetooth instead of Line-In.

Trivial I know, but its nice just to start the truck and have good tunes immediately
Hello BigF350,

Your SYNC version does not have the ability to set the Bluetooth channel as the default media source, unfortunately. I'm happy to document your preference though.

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I can't get it to fire up my iPod plugged into USB 2. I always have to press media and then it plays. Annoying, but I live with it because my truck has more torque than I know what to do with.
Hi SavageNFS,

What happens when you try to use the voice command USB? You could also try performing a soft reset on your iPod to increase responsiveness: How to reset iPod

Antonio

Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,992 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hello BigF350,
Hi SavageNFS,

What happens when you try to use the voice command USB? You could also try performing a soft reset on your iPod to increase responsiveness: How to reset iPod

Antonio
I've never used voice command. I just press the media button and it plays. The iPod has been reset many times. It occasionally locks up in the truck. It's an 80gig iPod and it's got about 70gig on it. It's all I listen too. Are you saying that if I use the sync voice command to play the iPod it will stay there or that it's just another way to get it to play the iPod on the USB connection?

Thank you for the help, btw

Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 PM
AvoTow
5th Wheeling
Hello BigF350,

Your SYNC version does not have the ability to set the Bluetooth channel as the default media source, unfortunately. I'm happy to document your preference though.

Antonio
Is there a reason this feature was removed? My wifes 2010 Ford Escape with the same nav unit always defaults to BT first.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Skip1970
Where u get the funk week? I need something for our stock 2009
This was the unit I fitted:
Amazon.com: EGO FLASH Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit with OLED Display: Car Electronics Amazon.com: EGO FLASH Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit with OLED Display: Car Electronics

(I don't know why it has a low rating on Amazon - the install took me a bit longer than expected, as they didn't label the left/right outputs for the unit correctly in the instruction manual, but once I figured that out, and linked it to my phone, worked excellently, could even use it to get Siri to type my messages from my voice)
Hello BigF350,

Thanks for letting me know - I thought as much given I couldn't find anything in the documentation to do it

Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I'm happy to document your preference though.
Hi Antonio, can you also cast my vote in favor of enabling the system to default to Bluetooth?

Originally Posted by Smoky Diesel
The audio quality of the BT link is horrible. I find it unusable. The analog input is much better. Only think worse is the satellite radio which I rate at F-.
Sounds like something is wrong. I've had SYNC on my last 4 Ford products, including my 2011 F350, and I've always found the bluetooth audio quality to be outstanding. Definitely better than FM radio!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Tom
Hi Antonio, can you also cast my vote in favor of enabling the system to default to Bluetooth?
Hey Tom,

Sure can good buddy.

Originally Posted by AvoTow
Is there a reason this feature was removed? My wifes 2010 Ford Escape with the same nav unit always defaults to BT first.
Hello AvoTow,

To my understanding, the primary concern engineering had received was regarding the battery consumption. A lot of customers that perhaps didn't use the feature as much found their juice was running out much quicker whenever the system defaulted to Bluetooth audio. Therefore, the most recent software release switched the default media source to Line-In in an effort to conserve battery.

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I've never used voice command. I just press the media button and it plays. The iPod has been reset many times. It occasionally locks up in the truck. It's an 80gig iPod and it's got about 70gig on it. It's all I listen too. Are you saying that if I use the sync voice command to play the iPod it will stay there or that it's just another way to get it to play the iPod on the USB connection?

Thank you for the help, btw
SavageNFS,

That's correct. This method also gives us some clues as to what might be happening, based on any feedback SYNC provides. If a voice command is provided and SYNC is somehow unable to fulfill your request, she should provide some sort of reason why. This is helpful when trying to distinguish the difference between a software hiccup and a system fault.

Software hiccups can often be resolved through soft resetting the device, reconnecting, or key cycling the vehicle. System faults often require a master reset, fuse pull, or a possible dealership visit in extreme cases.

Antonio

Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Has anyone had success getting two BT devices to sync for music?

I would like:
No music sync with my iPhone (which it does automatically) mainly because my phone is now "cloud shared" (and that has issues)

I would remove my hidden iPod 120GB USB connected device in favor of an iPod touch with BT, a device which is not cloud synced and actually has the music I want to listen to.

Cloud syncing puts EVERYTHING in your library on the sync.

My BT stream is sounds good to me.

I would like to be able to turn off the SAT radio feature too. Really don't need to have to cycle through 3 extra useless menu items when hitting the media button.

And while we are on the subject of change - I would like the option of my steering wheel seek button actually seeking radio stations through the band instead on my memorized station list.

Quick Reply: Sync - default to Bluetooth stream instead of line-in