6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Safety recall demonstation hold-Ambulances

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Safety recall demonstation hold-Ambulances

2011/2012 6.7 have a demonstration/delivery hold safety recall 13S10 out there for of all things...exhaust gas temp sensor replacements.

Have not seen the whole recall yet though..but perhaps this is a good thing for the private owner as well.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it would. But I wouldn't hold my breath on the general public.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
If the part or the process is changed perhaps that will eventually make it to the general public

Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Senix I sure hope your right. Because the stuff is not dependable, and I'm tired of forking out my money and fixing my own truck under warranty. and the constant battles with some dealerships is plum crazy.
Here where I'm at the ambulances never got on board with any year ford 6.7. After what they went with the 6.4.. there all updating in the big dodge chassis. Dont know how that will go.I wish them well.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Funny. I just posted something along these lines the last couple of days. Nothing is new to us here at the FTE about the sensors being to blame, but maybe someone is listening. Now the IAFC(International Association of Fire Chiefs) have petitioned the EPA to remove fire apparatus from being required to have DPFs due to the nature of their work. If auto makers can't make a sensor that won't fail, or design a computer program that knows when a sensor has failed and just throw a CEL instead of shutting it down, then YES all emergency vehicles should be exempt from having them.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Funny. I just posted something along these lines the last couple of days. Nothing is new to us here at the FTE about the sensors being to blame, but maybe someone is listening. Now the IAFC(International Association of Fire Chiefs) have petitioned the EPA to remove fire apparatus from being required to have DPFs due to the nature of their work. If auto makers can't make a sensor that won't fail, or design a computer program that knows when a sensor has failed and just throw a CEL instead of shutting it down, then YES all emergency vehicles should be exempt from having them.
Its funny - US government vehicles that have to work abroad get them removed as well so they don't clog up the DPF with high sulfur diesel.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Our area was a big 6.0L and 6.4L fleet. No one gave the 6.7L a chance.
The new ambulance service that covers this area now has an entire fleet of the mercedes sprinter ambulance vehicles.
Gone are the Ford's and of course the constant repair business the 6.4L brought to the local dealership.
There was at least 1 either in a bay or in the lot every time I took my truck in.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by kper05
Our area was a big 6.0L and 6.4L fleet. No one gave the 6.7L a chance.
The new ambulance service that covers this area now has an entire fleet of the mercedes sprinter ambulance vehicles.
Gone are the Ford's and of course the constant repair business the 6.4L brought to the local dealership.
There was at least 1 either in a bay or in the lot every time I took my truck in.
The bad thing here is that some of the more 'financially strapped" municipalities are staying with Fords due to 'piggy backing' purchases off or previous trucks so they don't have to go back to bid. That being said, the service I do some part time work for bought an '11 F350 6.7 and the engine disintegrated at 17,00 miles due to the valve issue that has been since taken care of. Now, that truck has been flawless with the exception of a oil pump since the engine was replaced. A lot of the 'nay sayers' in our area are starting to look at the Fords again, however, it will take a long time to get over the last two generation engines. I believe they were much worse in our industry due to prolonged idle times killing the EGR coolers, valves and DPFs.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
on NBCnews

Ford recalls ambulances because they can stall - NBC News.com

I have two of the temp sensors now.. do I order a NOX sensor too?
or is there a newer part number?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
It will grow I am sure.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by sdetweil
on NBCnews

Originally Posted by senix
It will grow I am sure.
Great...but this is for the '12s and up. What about the '08-'10s?? They probably have already been replaced!! The bad thing about this is they are doing this because of potential liability I'm sure, but what about the liability I talked about in the other thread? There are thousands more of private users than ambulances. Like I said, we can't decide where to put the truck when we get that message most of the time. In the 'bad' part of town with our family in the truck. Or coming down a 6* towing a 15k trailer when it says "stop safely now". Where would you put it with no pull-offs or turn-arounds on the mountain roads. What if you were so busy driving in the mountains that you missed the message and it just shut off? How would you control it? I know, I know, I am preaching to the choir here, but all of us that drive them should always be aware that this could happen. My concern is the other tens of thousands that have no idea that this can happen. I can't help but wonder if this goes back to the DC fiasco? Maybe they will expand the recall if more and more people bring this out and it gets in the news.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
It will grow I am sure.
Yes. Usually it starts with a "stop ship" for new vehicles, to prevent adding more vehicles to the pool, until the part supplier can produce enough volume of the part to issue the recall notice.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sdetweil
on NBCnews

Sam. I don't believe it will do any good to have a spare NOX Sensor. Ive had mine donend they didn't follow procedures correct with IDS and light will come right back on. They have to change adaptive calibration tables.with IDS. You can read the nox tsb in the folder at top of threads. So it won't do no good for a spare. Well worth reading the tsb. I had to take tsb with me for them to get it right.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
So they know there are issues with "other models" which we know are the pickups and C&C units but what they wanted to say was "we don't care."
Don't worry you'll get the stop safely message. Then call a tow truck and pay for that. Then get a rental because we actually have stuff to accomplish other than life stopping from a faulty sensor so add that to the invoice.
I'm just rambling...

Old 11-01-2013, 06:08 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before the "Thousands and thousands threads start" remember, the first six words are In SOME of the affected vehicles........and its ONE, yes, ONE EGT sensor (EGT14), that it involves. I dont remember the exact number, but its 2500 or so thats affected, and its only SOME that are involved. Now, I'm not downplaying the seriousness of even one failure, but They're not dropping like flies.

Quick Reply: Safety recall demonstation hold-Ambulances