1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Explorer 8.8 rear questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the pics, I did the same thing on mockup with the flipped rear shackles, should work out nicely.
Original plan was to use a chevy rear with adapters to go to the Ford wheels I am using. I thought that going to the explorer rear would allow me to not have to use adapters but with the late model Ford wheels I am using I would still need 2" spacers on each side.
So since I still need spacers I will go with the original plan of the chevy rear and get spacer/adapters to the ford wheels I want to use. This way all 4 corners are GM pattern with adapters so if I change wheels to a standard offset GM pattern I can just remove the adapters.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I used Dakota springs with the Dakota hangers, 1997 If I recall correctly.
And 2001 8.8 explorer axle 3.73:1 Limited slip. I dropped the front hangers low and reversed the rear shackles putting them upside down. I added add a leafs to correct the low ride. typing fast and sloppy sorry so vague.
not done yet, but this picture shows a little. I can take more next weekend.
Hey Jeff, what was the reason for the add a leafs? Did the truck sink down lower than expected once the bed was put on? I am setting my rear suspension up now and trying to set it so when it comes down it will be somewhat level, but I have no idea how much it will come down once the bed is installed.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I used Dakota springs with the Dakota hangers, 1997 If I recall correctly.
And 2001 8.8 explorer axle 3.73:1 Limited slip. I dropped the front hangers low and reversed the rear shackles putting them upside down. I added add a leafs to correct the low ride. typing fast and sloppy sorry so vague.
not done yet, but this picture shows a little. I can take more next weekend.

What kind of gas tank do you have installed there? the inlet is in front? are you putting a gas cap in the fender?

THanks!~

Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Those are 90 D-50 spring hangers and shackles. Putting the springs above the axle will drop the rear a minimum of 4-5 inches. Here's a picture from the side so you can get an idea of how low it might be. I didn't want my truck too low since I have to traverse some less than ideal roads here in New Hampshire but this was just low enough...

I like the truck...I get so confused looking at modified (lowered) trucks then looking at mine. I asked about this before and I went out and counted how many leafs I had, if the springs looked like they were completely worn out, etc. Just looking at the running boards I see little if no difference in our ride height in the REAR. Your front is lower for sure. But I took a straight edge and lined up the running board with the rear wheel and it sits just below the center of the wheel. You say "Putting the springs above the axle will drop the rear a minimum of 4-5 inches." I agree with this as it is often cited as the norm. How then is my truck, with axle still below the springs sitting the same as yours? And some others that have been lowered. I'm just trying to figure out the "why" behind this...just bugs me not knowing...lol. Here are two examples....

Got any thoughts????

Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Weak springs? Different spring arch? Tire size difference? Hanger location and/or shackle differences? I have no idea!