1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with choosing Headache Rack?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Gobblin Tom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with choosing Headache Rack?

I'm looking for a headache Rack for my 2012 F350, don't want to spend a fortune on it and would still like to have good visibility out of the window... Any info would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!! Oh yeah and I want it to look good and come off easy if I want to take it off...

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Llaslo
Freshman User
Subscribed.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Ranch Hand sells you a set of rails that the rack bolts to, that's probably the easiest install/removal I've seen:
Headache Racks - Quality Ranch Hand Product

Or you could find a welder/shop that would knock one together for you. If you see a local fleet running around with something without a brand name on it, they probably used a local shop to knock a basic design together for them. They're really not difficult to make. Also, check craigslist in your area, because for some reason they seem to be cheap on there.

I built this one for about $250 in metal, including full 8' long 3/16 wall rail caps. The thing is an absolute tank:

But you could built something like that with thinner walled steel, lighter gauge lourves, don't run extra supports in the middle, don't put the light boxes in, make the frame out of bent strap instead of tube, make etc. Possibilities are endless if you can find someone who can fab and weld.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
I have a Ranch Hand store nearby and love the shop. I bought my 5er hitch and airbags from them and likely will get the grill guard from them. I don't like the headache racks though. The back window in tinted enough as is to make seeing out of it difficult in the dark. I would prefer expanded steel mesh, it is strong and yet you can see through it.

I agree that finding a place/someone that can fab/weld for you might be your best option. You can then get the features that you want.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I've run the STK proracks on my past 2 trucks. Same as backrack but American made. Both have held up well to numerous hits from firewood and done thier job. They really don't interfere with rear visibility much at all, unless you put the toolbox brackets and a standard height toolbox on. My standard height weatherguard impedes rear visibility greatly. Low profile boxes gain a ton of rear visibility over the standard height ones. I think mine with the toolbox brackets ran around $300. Ranch hand and B&W both make very nice ones also, but for either of those you're looking at double the cost easy.

About the best pic I can find

Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I made my own, slides in the rail pockets and no tool removal you can see on the far side.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews

I made my own, slides in the rail pockets and no tool removal you can see on the far side.
Nice install. Looks sturdy and I like the mesh over the louvers types.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

I made my own
Home brew is the best way to go

Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a weatherguard mesh style on my truck matched with the toolbox. I never really look out the rear window much but it does impair the window alot. Ill have to snap a picture in the daylight.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Iggy2867
Freshman User
I always build my own, mostly because I've ever seen what I wanted on the market. Here are a coupe of mine:

Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Gobblin Tom
Freshman User
I found these ones that I like, would want the open center window...

Aluminum Headache Racks, Truck Racks, & Custom Built Truck Beds

I like how it just goes in stake pockets with no drilling the bed...

Old 11-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

I build my own also... Like TexasTechdiesel I used to have angle all the way to back... this newest one I run the angle under the spot for the tool box and cut it -the bed rails are each separate making 3 actual pieces...

A lot easier to remove - had to use 2 or more people or the tractor to remove the 1 piece.... Also used to put the expanded metal in each side - leaving the center open for sliding rear window access... but never got around to it on this one...

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice design. Simple, effective and removable. Sweet!

I too made my own but I started with a piece that I picked up at a local trailer builder for $100. This place also made flat beds for chassis cab trucks and they sometimes have the racks in stock. I just had to modify it for my use since it was too tall. Mine isn't easily removable though....

Here is a link to the thread when I did the work....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rack-pics.html

Old 11-07-2013, 05:24 PM
duallydondon
Junior User
Rack

I found an RKI headache rack on Craigslist,,these are heavy duty commercial grade, side bars are 3/8" thick flat steel 3 inches wide,,all I did was sand it and paint it white

Old 11-14-2013, 05:56 PM
JohnHarvey
New User
I designed and built this rack for my buddies truck. It turned out great and now I'm setting up to sell them online.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with choosing Headache Rack?