6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Replaced Stock Fogs With LED's

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced Stock Fogs With LED's

I recently installed a 22" Baja Designs LED OnX light bar and have been blown away with the results. Being someone who can't leave good enough alone... I decided to swap out my fogs for Baja Designs Squadron XL LED lights. They happen to be almost a perfect fit for our stock fog light housing. They are slightly larger, which actually makes things really easy in terms of fitment.

I used a dremel to enlarge the plastic bezel where the light sits slightly. I could easily put the stock fogs back in and wouldn't notice that any modification was done which is nice.

I then drilled a hole in the side of the plastic bezel and fitted a screw that mounted the plastic bezel to the LED light. The plastic bezel housing around the light added stability as well. The Squadron LED light has a lip around the outer edge that helps when doing a flush mount.

And some output shots:

Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Very Cool. Nice work.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow that looks sweet!! I love the lightbar and when I can move back to the South(Georgia) I will take this stupid front license plate off. Also, are the night lights, just the LEDs themselves? Or the Headlights as well?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Looks good

Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
looks sweet!

last pic is just headlights + fogs?

you have to dim the fogs now too, right?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
In NY we are supposed to run front plates too, but I'll take my chances. They seem to be pretty lienant around here about that unless your driving like an *******... Or driving around blinding oncoming traffic haha.

The center LED bar has 3 modes. 100% output, 50% output, and strobe mode. The two fog light LEDs(Squadron XL) have two modes. 100% output and 50%. Unfortunately these are too bright to use at any time there is oncoming traffic... Which is fine by me, but I was hoping they would have the ability to dim from 100% down to 0%.

The pictures are of both the fog LEDs on and the LED bar. It is extremely difficult to photograph light output when my iPhone automatically adjusts exposure to compensate for the amount of light. So what you see in the pics don't really reflect what you see with your eyes.

When I have the LEDs on, I can literally turn my headlights on and off and not even notice them at all. However, when I go from LEDs to just headlights it feels like going from light to dark, it's really that dramatic.

And for the guys who don't want to run a LED light bar and want something discreet... These Squadron XL's put out serious amount of light that you will be extremely happy with. You can get amber lenses for them and run them as true fogs if you choose. I have a combo lens on mine. Half spot, half cornering.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:14 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the rigid 30" light bar on my truck and you really can't describe how much light it puts off. There is 10,000+ lumens and reaches out to 800 meters plus. Its's awesome till you have to turn it off, then it's like driving with a flashlight.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JReinert
I put the rigid 30" light bar on my truck and you really can't describe how much light it puts off. There is 10,000+ lumens and reaches out to 800 meters plus. Its's awesome till you have to turn it off, then it's like driving with a flashlight.
That pretty much sums it up! LEDs have come a long way in the last 5 years. Do you have a pic of your rigid mounted?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:40 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't, but i put it right under the lower horizontal bigger chrome bar on the grill. I had to cut out the black plastic but it fit perfect in there. It almost looks like the rest of the grill and doesn't stand out. It sits flush with the rest of the grill. I wish I knew how to post pictures.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JReinert
I don't, but i put it right under the lower horizontal bigger chrome bar on the grill. I had to cut out the black plastic but it fit perfect in there. It almost looks like the rest of the grill and doesn't stand out. It sits flush with the rest of the grill. I wish I knew how to post pictures.
see the sticky topic on how to post pics. But FTE makes it hard. If you are not a paying member, then you have to put the pics someplace (garage. profile, photobucket) and then link to them. (press the mountain icon in the post editor, and paste in the image URl from whereever it is).

if you are a paying member, you can 'attach' 5 pics to a message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Switched

Did you connect it to the high beams or the upfitter switch

Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by brmccolley
Did you connect it to the high beams or the upfitter switch
Are you talking about the fog replacements? Or the LED bar? The LED fogs are directly in place of the stock fogs using the same wiring. The bar is run to an upfitter switch.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Great improvement

I'd like to do the same as you, but it's a bit more than I'd like to spend. I'm sure it would be a significant improvement. Tough choice...

Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by brmccolley
I'd like to do the same as you, but it's a bit more than I'd like to spend. I'm sure it would be a significant improvement. Tough choice...
I totally understand... They are definitely not cheap. If you mention you're a forum member here they usually give a 10% discount which helps a little.
In my opinion, lighting is as important as brakes and tires. Both of which come into play only after you see what it is you need to stop for or swerve around. I definitely feel a lot safer driving on dark roads with more lighting.
There are other options out there, but after a lot of time and research I decided to go this route.
Let me know if you have questions about anything and I'll do my best to help out.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Lax, can you take a picture of what oncoming traffic would see with the Lightbar on only. Fog lights only. Fog lights and Light Bar, and then Finally headlights and all LEDs. I am interested to see what it looks like to a car going the other way. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Replaced Stock Fogs With LED's