Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1.0 Exhaust Housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And to remind everyone I still plan on running STOCK sticks, 1.15 would be laggy, everyone knows what a stocker can do, but like he said 1.0 would be the best of both worlds, higher end "oomph" and still a nice spool.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DHamSTER
Hi guys,
I have a big project ahead of me next spring and I am curious what you guys think. Obviously with a bigger exhaust housing comes performance increases.

I have two options in mind.
Back in '04, I put BDP's 1.0 exhaust housing on my wife's Excursion. 99-03 Power Stroke 1.0 A/R NON-wastegated Turbine Housing w/ adapter - BDP Preferred Products - BDP Products

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
A 1.0 housing isnt gonna do much for ya there... At best it'll reduce drive pressure a little and help surge.
That's why I did it.

Back in '04, the ATS housing was on national back order and had been for months. I wanted to do some preventive maintenance on the Ex because I was setting it up to tow heavy (10k lb travel-trailer) and I wanted to be pro-active.

I can't comment on the two you have listed, but I can tell you Beans product worked great for my needs.

Stewart

Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Don't waste your money on the big head waste gate. Just tighten the stocker down and you will be good to go.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by DHamSTER
And to remind everyone I still plan on running STOCK sticks, 1.15 would be laggy, everyone knows what a stocker can do, but like he said 1.0 would be the best of both worlds, higher end "oomph" and still a nice spool.
There is nothing laggy about a van turbo... Just internet misinformation. With good tunes my van turbo lit just as fast as stocker but pulled harder all the way to redline.

Yes, I've played with turbos a little and I helped put a 1.0 housing on a friends truck. I may be qualified to provide input on your topic - albeit not which 1.0 housing is best...

Anything good about 1.0 housing is better with 1.15 and the van charger's larger exducer on the turbine wheel.

But, with these things we often find people are able to get what they want to see - even if they have to blurr their vision to see it that way.

I stand by my statement that a 1.0 housing will provide no performance gain. It may help reduce surge in some applications by reducing BP though...

There is no reason for a WG with stock sticks either. Its especially silly to spend money on Big Head.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
I didnt show my math earlier, but I was trying to demonstrate the van turbo is a cheap way to go. Betweem selling my stocker and later the van turbo when I moved up - the van turbo was nearly free. I sold the van turbo to a forum member or I would've asked more for it.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 AM
diehardstroker
Elder User
I would like to bring up AzPatMans turbo, he got a van turbo, rebuilt it and put a banks 1.0 housing on it instead of the 1.15 van turbos housing why?I'm gonna take a guess and say for better low end , also the garret 38r comes with a 1.0 housing all im pointing out is I see a lot more turbos with a 1.0 or
similar sizehousing than I do a larger one, if sticking with stock sticks IMHO its not really necessary, 1.0 housing and a billet wheel is pretty close to what you paid for a van turbo.

That's just the way I look at it, and personally think its really opinion based, I'm not saying your wrong but I saying I've heard a lot of people say they don't like lag with van turbos.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
I know you can push the stocker Wastegate pretty high in PSI but there's got a max point and I'm hoping for in the 30s.

Are you running in stock tune or are you always running in something else to keep it from being laggy?

I've gotta go with Diehard on this one. I've heard of more people running a 1.0. It's a happy medium kind of thing. Now it's just a decision on which one to get. If we go back to the original post that's what I want to know.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock 1.0 replacement housing should not fit on van turbo... a van turbo has a bigger exhaust siee wheel than a stock turbo and bigger than a 38r ...comparing granny smith to macintosh

Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 467 Likes on 322 Posts
From what I'm reading, it looks like a stock turbo with an ATS housing, riffraff ported housing wheel, and 1.0 exh housing is essentially a rebuildable "38r", yielding the airflow of the 38r without the throwaway nature. I wonder if that's accurate. I've liked upgrading the turbo as money is available, a piece at a time, so this has been a good option. I'm hoping it will be enough air to support 160/80 or 160/100 sticks one day.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by rat49f6
Stock 1.0 replacement housing should not fit on van turbo... a van turbo has a bigger exhaust siee wheel than a stock turbo and bigger than a 38r ...comparing granny smith to macintosh
We aren't talking about doing that....

Old 10-22-2013, 11:18 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by BWST
From what I'm reading, it looks like a stock turbo with an ATS housing, riffraff ported housing wheel, and 1.0 exh housing is essentially a rebuildable "38r", yielding the airflow of the 38r without the throwaway nature. I wonder if that's accurate. I've liked upgrading the turbo as money is available, a piece at a time, so this has been a good option. I'm hoping it will be enough air to support 160/80 or 160/100 sticks one day.

I'm still thinking about doing the 1.0 housing, Riffraff ported housing, and Riffraff 6/6 wheel. The ported housing is what I can't decide on because it does the same thing the new wheel would do.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 AM
diehardstroker
Elder User
Rat49f6 that's why I said BANKS 1.0 housing, they make a 1.0 for the van turbo,

BWST it would literally be a rebuildable 38r if he machined the back plate and compressor housing and fit a 66mm compressor wheel but the setup he has should be a good strong turbo that should be good for 160's

Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by diehardstroker

BWST it would literally be a rebuildable 38r if he machined the back plate and compressor housing and fit a 66mm compressor wheel but the setup he has should be a good strong turbo that should be good for 160's
Are you talking about my build?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 467 Likes on 322 Posts
The ported housing let's you compress more air with the stock wheel without surging. The "wicked wheel" reduced surge by sacrificing how much air it grabbed. I think the ported housing is the way to go to get more air. Then add the ported housing wheel from riffraff - I think it's different than the 6/6 wheel. The ported housing wheel grabs even more air - hopefully without re-introducing surge.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by BWST
The ported housing let's you compress more air with the stock wheel without surging. The "wicked wheel" reduced surge by sacrificing how much air it grabbed. I think the ported housing is the way to go to get more air. Then add the ported housing wheel from riffraff - I think it's different than the 6/6 wheel. The ported housing wheel grabs even more air - hopefully without re-introducing surge.
Where did the wicked wheel come from?

To save money I want the 6/6 wheel. I'll spend 200 to eliminate the surge instead of the 400 dollar ported housing. The ported housing with my 6/6 wheel is a future option idk if spending 400 is worth it.

Yea the ported housing wheel is different than the 6/6.
Diehardstroker just purchased one, talk to him.

Quick Reply: 1.0 Exhaust Housing