1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

BTMS Syndrome.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Dobies4life
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTMS Syndrome.

I officially have been diagnosed with BuyingTooMuchS$%# syndrome. The wife has banned me from craigslist. My 30 x 40 garage is filling up. I now have what has been dubbed engine row. A roller W, 302, 4.9 I6, and a flathead all sitting on tires and holding the concrete down. The first ZFtrans is not in very good condition so it just sits there. The second is in perfect shape, but is a 95 and has no provision for speedo. So I had to go buy a different rear end. Went and pulled a 99 exploder rear. Paid $100 for it, which is cheap compared to upgrading the 9 inch to 31 spine, locking, and discs. So I was allowed to 'List for that. so there an extra rear end taking up space.

Now to make things worse... My better half has decided she wants a classic truck of her own. I dealt with the devil and told her I would get the engine, trans, diff, and the truck. But rebuilding said items were going to be her investment. That 4.9L I6 came with an E4OD ($150) That is hers. Cheap and durable. Its got weak oil, so its either pump, bearings or the fiber gear particles plugging the pickup screen. Still trying to find her a truck to absolutely kill off any floor space i have left. A friend of mine has a 56 International 1/2 ton. It has been sitting in his yard for 25 years. If the price is right, we might ****** it up. Yeah its not a ford, but it sure isnt C#$%^.On the other hand I could do a C$%^& and drop a complete Ford drive train in it just to aggrivate the C$%^& guys. This will be an outright miracle to work on 2 vehicles working 6 days a week, and no room to do anything.

I think the only way to stop collecting stuff is to work 7 days a week.

I know I'm not the only one with this disorder.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
I'm with you. I suppose we could start a support group, but none of us would have room for chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
What, that is called a disorder?? seems perfectly normal to me!
Laughing, as i trip over all the disorder in my garage. Hahaha

Old 10-21-2013, 01:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You were the first person I thought of when I saw what BTMS was, Josh! Well, besides Ilya...

Old 10-21-2013, 01:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Wait a minute now! Let's not be too hasty in calling this a disorder. I'm thinking it might just be a normal aspect of life for a truck enthusiast....

....and......

....Its a proven marital aid. I know my wife won't leave me. If she did, she'd have to take half of my stuff!!

Bobby

Old 10-21-2013, 02:03 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Wait a minute now! Let's not be too hasty in calling this a disorder. I'm thinking it might just be a normal aspect of life for a truck enthusiast....

....and......

....Its a proven marital aid. I know my wife won't leave me. If she did, she'd have to take half of my stuff!!

Bobby

Hahaha, I love it!
Im going to borrow that for my new singature. If its ok with you that is ??

Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Fine by me!
have fun with it

Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
It is not a disorder, it is like a software glitch.

Its a feature.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to BTMS Anonymous.

In the last few months, I've really cleaned up my place and my garage. I still have a TON more to get rid of. I made excellent money!! I can't seem to let go of everything at once. I do it in spurts.

I really want to be down to a few things. Less is more.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
... Less is more.
This is the truth. I have essentially completed my truck, and am going thru all the spares that I thought I'd better save. Small stuff I don't mind, but I've got 4 rear fenders and both front fenders taking up a lot of space, plus some running boards, a radiator saddle... All stuff hard to ship of course.

I made a point of going thru my drawers in the garage last year, found spares for cars I haven't owned in 15 years. Got rid of all of it. It's like a burden has been lifted.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
This is the truth. I have essentially completed my truck, and am going thru all the spares that I thought I'd better save. Small stuff I don't mind, but I've got 4 rear fenders and both front fenders taking up a lot of space, plus some running boards, a radiator saddle... All stuff hard to ship of course.

I made a point of going thru my drawers in the garage last year, found spares for cars I haven't owned in 15 years. Got rid of all of it. It's like a burden has been lifted.
Tell me about it. I've been saving "good" parts for my trucks for a long time. I'm feeling better now when I'm finally using the parts on the 51 build. I'll still hang onto a few parts, like two pairs of complete Extra doors, all Extra option parts, a front/rear bumpers, grille and whatever else small body part I can hang onto. Luckily, I only have one front clip that'll go into the 51 soon. I figure if I get hit in one of my trucks, it'll just give me an excuse to buy a parts truck or find the parts somewhere else. I can't hold onto everything.

What I really would like to do is find a person who would buy out my personal "junk yard" after I keep what I need, which is only about 10%. It's not fun when it becomes a business.

Adding to my addiction is a collection of over a 1,000 of various auto related oil/gas/etc cans, signs, gas pumps, bicycles, trinkets, coolers, ads, books, and on and on and on.... I really need to downsize!!

As for the fenders, ship them by Greyhound. The running boards can be shipped by FedEx. It's not that hard. List them on Ford Barn, HAMB, FTE or even eBay. They'll sell. I'm about to list some F2-F6 fenders fronts and F2-F3 rears, along with F2/3 running boards and F1 rear fenders, running boards on eBay. At this point, they just need to go away.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well thanx to the wife losing her job of 19 years i don't have btms as of right now but i still got two flatheads , a 292 , three transmissions , all the new body parts , the doors and hood { the cab is in the body shop } . all the new suspension and brake parts , parts for the 53's flatty , parts i have bought for my 95 bird including two sets of heads and a pi intake taking up space in my garage . thankfully i sold my 52 customline and it's spare parts , and haven't bought any other new ooohhh it can be cool project / parts vehicles due too a lack of finances as of late ............... btms could go hand in hand with the disorder listed in my signature .... p.a.d.d project attention deficit disorder ............ doctors could make a few bucks off of us guys ...............

Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya ever heard the song by Buzz Martin?

Something about "Used Log Truck"

If someone can fine it, it would fit here very well.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Ya ever heard the song by Buzz Martin?

Something about "Used Log Truck"

If someone can fine it, it would fit here very well.

Here it is...

Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1

Reminds me of my me and my Dad going through the drawers in his garage he divided the goodies up between his 4 grandchildren to sell on ebay or kijiji if they wanted to . Ranged from 38 Dodge pistons , 49 Ford rearview mirror ,58Olds chrome tail light bezel , 61 Chevy 409 valve covers and a set of Big Block high ratio rocker arms . Plus a ton of other stuff , Kids made out like bandits . Sorry to get OT and high jack that one

Quick Reply: BTMS Syndrome.