Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Considering an Edge.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Oh...that would certainly not be what I would pay either. Not even close.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Oh...that would certainly not be what I would pay either. Not even close.
Oh I'm certain of it my friend. The whole price / value thing is boggling my mind. In fact, I'm considering leasing next time just so I can give it back in 3 years.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:37 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
$48k is nuts. I just priced a base model 2014 Edge, oxford white, with cargo package options, on Edmunds. Sticker was $29.3k. Market price after $1k rebate is $27,914, which is about where I thought it would land. I have a lot of Ford employee connections in Detroit, so I'm guessing I could get AWD and keep it under $30k. Who the heck would pay almost twice that for a bunch of optional equipment that would have NO bearing on helping you arrive at your actual destination? Is anyone saving money for retirement or emergencies? (I am already retired, and spent my life in the pension plan business, which drives my focus toward "cost per mile"...)

Good luck,
George

Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
$48k is nuts. I just priced a base model 2014 Edge, oxford white, with cargo package options, on Edmunds. Sticker was $29.3k. Market price after $1k rebate is $27,914, which is about where I thought it would land. I have a lot of Ford employee connections in Detroit, so I'm guessing I could get AWD and keep it under $30k. Who the heck would pay almost twice that for a bunch of optional equipment that would have NO bearing on helping you arrive at your actual destination? Is anyone saving money for retirement or emergencies? (I am already retired, and spent my life in the pension plan business, which drives my focus toward "cost per mile"...)

Good luck,
George
Certainly right about that. I just bought my F350 drw lariat, fully loaded for only 36K. It stickered for 63K.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just traded in our 2007 Edge SEL with 85K miles and the only thing we had to replace was the battery twice and the brake boost slave.

The power was still there and it had not one rattle. We just ran out of extended warranty in October and I wasn't taking a risk.

We started out looking at the Limited and ended up with a 2013 Edge Sport with the 3.7 and 22" wheels. I gotta say I'm very impressed so far...even beyond the last one.

My brother-in-law was a Dodge DieHard and after he drove my wife's Edge he bought one for his wife.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix
I will be getting a Lincoln MKX myself. Holding out for the ecoboost for it. I think 2014 for that.

We looked at the Edge and then the sister MKX. The big differences in my eyes were with the edge you could get all the bells and whistles on it but it cost more then the Lincoln that automatically comes with all the stuff.

Lincoln has like three trim levels and that is it. Plus the nice vista roof.

we just like the interior better.
We came close to buying a 2013 MKX Demo with every option available but there was just something missing for the price. Like I could have bought the Explorer.

We did end up with the Edge Sport for a real steal and saved $5K. It just came together better and the handling is what we like.

The Lincoln is quieter and the leather is definitely nicer and cooled seats etc...

Old 12-17-2013, 07:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by LVEILLON
We came close to buying a 2013 MKX Demo with every option available but there was just something missing for the price. Like I could have bought the Explorer.

We did end up with the Edge Sport for a real steal and saved $5K. It just came together better and the handling is what we like.

The Lincoln is quieter and the leather is definitely nicer and cooled seats etc...
Good review. I certainly can see why the Edge would be attractive.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
Mom paid 40K for her 2012 AWD Limited Edge. Very happy with it.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:41 PM
merlynr
Posting Guru
Just turned odometer to 100k and it's still solid and wife loves it. I'm thinking new plugs and tranny fluid change.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 AWD, my wife traded her Explorer for one, she loves it, I like it, the teenage kids even like it, they say it's sporty looking and it is. Amazingly it's got good leg room.Im 6'5 and I'm comfortable in the front or back seat. Nothing major, 125,000 miles,we replaced a coil and rear wheel bearing. The only complaint I have is the A/C. It cools to specs, it's the fan inside the car, not strong enough. Poor design, maybe the newer ones are better.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We just bought a used 2013 with 2.0 EB for under 20K a few months ago and we love it-highly recommend. Great power and plenty of room-also a safe vehicle for wife and child to be in. It did have a crack in top of fuel pump and leaked gas when filled up and also had the fuel line recall-both covered under warranty.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the dealer in Panama City now looking for a 2014 Edge limited with the 2.0 ecoboost. He found only 1 within a 450 range but it doesn't have the adaptive cruise control which we want. Has anyone had any problems with the 2.0 ecoboost or heard of any problems? Also what is the MPG of the 2.0 ecoboost? I'm getting this for my daughter.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I have the dealer in Panama City now looking for a 2014 Edge limited with the 2.0 ecoboost. He found only 1 within a 450 range but it doesn't have the adaptive cruise control which we want. Has anyone had any problems with the 2.0 ecoboost or heard of any problems? Also what is the MPG of the 2.0 ecoboost? I'm getting this for my daughter.
With all direct injected engines like the Ecoboost, there is the possibility (or probability) of the backs of the intake valves getting carboned up because EGR and PCV fumes pass the valves, but no fuel is there to clean them.

So there is the possibility that cylinder heads will have to be removed and valves manually cleaned. This will not be cheap. Do a Google search on "direct injected engine intake valve deposits" or something like that. I have read of at least a few such problems with the 2.0 Ecoboost.

I would buy the 3.5 engine in the Edge myself at this point. Good luck with whatever you choose.

George

Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I don't think the carbon buildup will be an issue if you full throttle it on occasion.

Although we got the 2.3 in the Lincoln MKC it is close to the 2.0.

Runs great so far.

Adaptive cruise is neat and you will like.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:27 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
I have no clue how full throttle would make any difference. In the days of port injection, full throttle would cause fuel vapor to "rinse" the backs of the intake valves but in a DI engine all the intake valves see is intake air (heated by the turbo) along with oil vapors from the PCV system and exhaust gases from the EGR system.

How many years after the introduction of 2V the mod motor (was it 1991?) did it take for Ford to address the spark plug shooting issues? 14 or 15 years.... I will bet they did extensive testing on the 3 valve heads as well but sticking spark plugs only became a problem once these engines were used in the real world for a number of years.

I don't want there to be a problem, but the only mfr that has addressed the deposit issue directly is Toyota (and Subaru which is partially owned by Toyota). They use a port injector in each port for lower speed operation and then switch to the DI system for higher throttle operation.

One other issue with DI engines used for short trips is fuel dilution. One of my son's engineer buds from U of Mich works at Toyota engineering in Ann Arbor, MI. His job a few years ago was to start a test mule VW every day, drive it across the parking lot, and turn the engine off. After a couple months, the oil in the crankcase was 20% gasoline. This is extreme use, but it still really happened...DI brings potential problems along with its performance improvements.

As I said, I would buy the 3.5 NA in the Edge but you may do your own research or choose not to and buy what you want... I would imagine that pulling the head and cleaning the valves on the 2.0 once would cancel any gasoline savings. If you lease a car for a couple years or trade in every 3 years you will likely not have any problems. I buy vehicles with a 200k mile target.

ps: here is a site selling some kind of snake oil, but there are some photos of intake valves on a 3.5 Ecoboost at various mileages. I don't want an engine that looks like this inside. https://www.bgprod.com/bgfueltest/

George

Quick Reply: Considering an Edge.