1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 5th wheel tow situation

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 AM
tbirdsc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 5th wheel tow situation

Hi All
I just bought a new DRV Mobile Suite 5th wheel sitting about 16400 dry with a pin weight around 3500. If I keep the tanks relatively empty, I would guess the unit will be around 17500 with our stuff in it.
I currently have an 2005 DRW F350 PSD.
I know I am cheating the gross weight but I would think not too badly from the Ford specs. But, after searching some of the other threads, it looks like some guys calculate the towing max weight based off the pin weight and if that does not exceed the gawr, they seemed to reduce that weight off the trailer weight to calculate the tow weight - am I seeing that correctly?? So I am not sure if I am cheating or not.
The trailer does have four wheel disc brakes so stopping should not be an issue.
Another thing I thought off was swapping out the rear gears to 4:30 as that seemed to be the only difference to make it a tow boss truck and increase my gross by 3K. But, with today's electronics tapped into everything - that seems easier said than done.
I have less than 70K on the truck and would like to keep it until I retire in a year or so before I get a new one.
My other question is that my last trailer had a pin weight of around 2200, so I am not sure if I will need air bags this time.
Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Weight your truck empty with just the hitch/fuel/passengers.

Axle weights empty are important.

Next what is the wet weight or gvw of the trailer? Likely 18K. So roughly 20% or 3600 lbs for the kinpin wt. That number goes against your payload and the CGVWR.

Don't know if you would need airbags or not. I'd say try it and see.

Take the truck and trailer to the scales and get your true numbers is the best thing you go do.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Like Scott said, don't get caught up in mathematical gyrations. It you want to know your weights, weigh the darn thing. Manufacturer listing may or may not be accurate so you could be juggling fantasy numbers.

My two cents,

Steve

Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If your unit isn't one with the triple axles, then your pin weight is probably 4200, have seen actual weight charts on a lot of DRVs and hardly any of them are less then 4200.
My '05 is 4250 actual, 17400 actual gross.
Weigh the trailer...
For what its worth, I towed mine for one season with an '07 350 dually and it was overloaded and really pushed the 6.0 to the max. That's when I went to the 450.

Joe

Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 AM
tbirdsc
Freshman User
Hi
I do plan on getting weighed once I get it but I am pretty sure I am going to be over - just a matter of degree - 1000 lbs is one thing and 4000 is something else
my shipping weight from the mso is 15675 and I added in the weight for the genset and two 6 volts being installed now
Joe - I am assuming you must have the Elite Suite vs the standard Mobile Suite that I got. How did it sit on the bed? Did you need air bags? I would assume running flat is ok but not setting any speed records pulling a grade
Thanks again
Jim

Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
If your unit isn't one with the triple axles, then your pin weight is probably 4200, have seen actual weight charts on a lot of DRVs and hardly any of them are less then 4200.
My '05 is 4250 actual, 17400 actual gross.
Weigh the trailer...
For what its worth, I towed mine for one season with an '07 350 dually and it was overloaded and really pushed the 6.0 to the max. That's when I went to the 450.

Joe
Joe,

All this troubleshooting I have been doing with you, do you have electric over hydraulic brakes on your Suite?

Steve

Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
For beefing up your suspension on your current truck, many people have tried the StableLoad product before airbags with great results.
They won't increase capacity, no aftermarket suspension upgrade will, but they will dramatically improve the handling, squat, and sway while towing and hauling.

We have tested the StableLoad suspension product here on FTE.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-install.html

It also has the flexibility to easily engage and disengage in seconds and you will experience significantly better drivablilty by pre-activating the leaf spring system that already exists.

StableLoads
This is a great alternative to expensive airbags and other suspension upgrades.

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question we really need answered is what your trailer GVWR rating is. If it's 16,400 dry, depending on water capacity, propane, etc, you have one big unit, probably at least 18,400 max.

Looking at the charts, with your truck, you can pull up to 16,100 max. So even if you're dry and totally unweighted, you are still exceeding your trucks capacity. Not such a good thing.

Once you add your 100#'s or so of water... 850#'s or so, your propane, and a genset, you are quickly getting to max hauling (GVWR) and you haven't loaded clothes, food, or even your horseshoes.

I know you just picked it up but your comments about triple disc brakes allow you to not worry about stopping. I would think again... Take it out where safe to do so and do an emerg stop. Kinda like stopping a locomotive on ice.

I agree with all the others and find a Cat Scale before anything else. Its the right thing to do but I really don't think it will make you feel any better.

Be safe.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
I think he means he has elec/hydraulic disc brakes and two axles. I am very familiar with the DRV line--this would be standard for a new one. I asked about triple axles only because they will have a somewhat lighter pin weight.

tbirdsc,
I have an '05 36tk3 Mobile Suites that came from the factory with a GVWR of 16000. I bought it in Feb 2007 knowing it was at its weight limit. It has generator and washer/dryer adding to pin weight. Have since corrected the tires/wheels and springs.
The actual weight for my trips is always around 17000 +/- depending on how long we plan to be out.

rvtech,
Steve, I have the normal electric shoe brakes, 12 1/4" by 3 3/8" (8k rated)from Dexter. Just got the storage building finished and the trailer put in. Will be able to resume troubleshooting next week. Have a lot of 'stuff' moving to do to get out of a rental storage unit. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts for 'lost soul RVers'.....

Joe

Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

I think he means he has elec/hydraulic disc brakes and two axles. I am very familiar with the DRV line--this would be standard for a new one. I asked about triple axles only because they will have a somewhat lighter. e
Ouch. Now even scarier. A dbl axle with that weight?
Although, it is almost Halloween.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
r2millers,

Not sure what you mean about dbl axles with all that weight. His trailer will have 8k axles and the gross will be probably 18500. He won't be over on the axles.
As to me--I am not over either, even tho I have 7k under mine still.

Joe

Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

r2millers,

Not sure what you mean about dbl axles with all that weight. His trailer will have 8k axles and the gross will be probably 18500. He won't be over on the axles.
As to me--I am not over either, even tho I have 7k under mine still.

Joe
What kind of tires are you guys using? Even my E rated ST or the same LT's are capable of carrying only 2,680#'s ea or 10,720 total if dbl axle, regardless of axle limits.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
These trailers (and mine) have 17.5" LR G,H, or J--depending on mfg. They usually rate at 4805lbs/tire. Usually run forever without problems, if inflation is kept correct. Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, Cooper are some of the brands.
Joe

Old 10-18-2013, 02:37 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Just looked at their web site. Looks like they do everything BIG.
Thx Joe.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
tbirdsc
Freshman User
r2millers - I did not mean to shine off stopping safety because of the disc brakes - only that at that weight - four wheel disc has to be better than four wheel drum - I certainly take safe stopping distances into account at all times

joe - looks like I am in the same boat as you a few years back - did you or are you using air bags because of the pin weight

We went to the RV show this weekend to look for a new 5th wheel - once my wife saw the Mobile Suite models - we were done shopping

Quick Reply: Another 5th wheel tow situation