Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed transmisson question

Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Stephenn95
New User
Stephenn95 is starting off with a positive reputation.
5 speed transmisson question

What is the purpose of the piece of cast iron hanging under crossmember at the rear of transmisson ? Does it slide up and down?

Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
madpogue
Post Fiend
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold
Can you post a pic? Is this on the tranny, or on the crossmember?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Stephenn95
New User
Stephenn95 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It is bolted to the crossmember.The same bolts that attach tne tr

ansmisson mount.I will have to have help posting picture. Will try later

It is about 2.5 X 6 inches with a slot in the middle thro which a T shape strap about 6 inches long goes to the bolts

Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
fordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant future
Text me the pic and ill post it.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
fordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant future

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM
ReBilld
Post Fiend
ReBilld is a splendid one to beholdReBilld is a splendid one to beholdReBilld is a splendid one to beholdReBilld is a splendid one to beholdReBilld is a splendid one to beholdReBilld is a splendid one to beholdReBilld is a splendid one to behold
Never seen that before. almost looks like an exhaust hanger. Did the truck have stacks on it at one time? Whatever it is, it doesn't need to be there and you can probably take it off.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
plowhand has a good reputation on FTE.plowhand has a good reputation on FTE.
That piece is a vibration damper for the transmission, it does not slide.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by plowhand View Post
That piece is a vibration damper for the transmission, it does not slide.
We have a winner! That's exactly what it is.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Talyn
Post Fiend
Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
never seen one on any truck i've been under. weird.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
I've only seen them on 94.5's and some 95's, I cannot ever recall seeing one on a 96 or 97 truck.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Talyn
Post Fiend
Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by plowhand View Post
I've only seen them on 94.5's and some 95's, I cannot ever recall seeing one on a 96 or 97 truck.
there is not one on my 94.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM
madpogue
Post Fiend
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold
Oh now I have to go slither under both our '95s this weekend, just to see if either one has this. Vague memory says "no" on both, but this darn incurable curiosity says "look".

Old 10-18-2013, 12:27 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
No need to crawl under, just bend over and look, or stand off at a distance and look, the bottom of it hangs down about 4 inches from the bottom of the trans.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:07 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
woodtrucker is starting off with a positive reputation.
don't have one on mine and it's 95 but somebody has been under my beast a lot so it could have been removed..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
DIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to behold
Huh, never seen one like that before! You learn something new every day.

I would have guessed like Bill did that it was an exhaust hanger of some kind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 speed transmisson question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: