Opinions on Roush Exhaust - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Roush Exhaust

Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Evan99
Senior User
Evan99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Opinions on Roush Exhaust

I just got a new truck (F150 XLT 5.0 4 door) and was considering putting Roush exhaust on it. I looked at several different set ups, but the Roush sounded the best to me. Also I was looking at some of the treads here and was wondering if the drone was as bad as everyone said it is (can I hear the radio and have a conversation?). Just wanted to hear some opinions on it before investing so much money into the system.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
BossGasser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BossGasser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"Also I was looking at some of the treads here and was wondering if the drone was as bad as everyone said it is"
You can trust the forum members here.
I listened to the sound bites on the web site and the constant noise would bug the _ _ _ _ --- out of me.
I like to listen to the v8 come off the line and pull the hills when towing. Other times - I don't want to hear it. I'm an old dude now. I like things to be quiet and relaxing. lol...

Old 10-16-2013, 11:21 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
SabreFX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SabreFX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have had the Roush exhaust on my 2013 FX4 5.0 since May....I love it. Yes, there is a slight drone for me at 62 - 63 mph with 3.73 rear gears. Above or below that it is completely gone. So, think about your driving style and how much/often you would be in that zone. It is a light drone and while noticeable, it is not uncomfortable. At any other speed, conversation and radio listening are quite normal....very quiet.

After a couple of months, I noticed that the overall sound is not quite as loud as when it was first put on....I suspect it now has some carbon inside that has allowed the sound to mellow. It still sounds great...at start up and when you get on it, it really barks. But it is very mellow and pleasant when just idling around...say in a parking lot.

After nearly 6 months, I still love it.....I love the sound every time I start the truck....and it still turns heads when I romp on it!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Robbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the truck!

If you are thinking about doing the Roush system, have a muffler shop replace your stock muffler with a straight pipe. That is essentially what the Roush system is, a stock resonator and no muffler. If you are happy with the sound, go for the full system or just keep the straight pipe for much less cost.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:00 PM
johnday
Posting Guru
johnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Robbgt View Post
Congrats on the truck!

If you are thinking about doing the Roush system, have a muffler shop replace your stock muffler with a straight pipe. That is essentially what the Roush system is, a stock resonator and no muffler. If you are happy with the sound, go for the full system or just keep the straight pipe for much less cost.
EXACTLY, the only difference between the Roush muffler, and your stock resonator, is that the Roush is 3" in/out, the stock one is 2.5, in/out.
Don't waste your money for a noise maker, and the drop in performance and fuel mileage. I now have the Roush excuse for a muffler, and a Flowmaster three chamber on it. It is now bearable, but performance and economy are still not back to where it was before I threw $600 at it. What a waste, and don't expect any type of customer service from Roush. I offered to take the salesman/engineer out for a ride, the answer? This is the first we've heard of this problem. No one would help me what-so-ever.
If ya wanna play Roush, get a Stang, maybe, but they are useless as far as an F150.