Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Installed My Peragon Bed Cover!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:31 AM
flowgoode
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed My Peragon Bed Cover!

I received my cover last night and I decided I wanted to install it even though it was night out. I had some flood lights going, so no troubles there.

The Cover and rails came in separate boxes, but they did show up on the same day. I printed off the instructions before I opened the boxes...should have done the boxes first because they send you a print out of the instruction with the hardware.

Everything was packaged very nicely and unscathed after the long journey on the Fedex ride.

I want to say it took me about 2.5 hours or so, in the dark to install the bed cover. I had to loosen and tighten the bolts that hold the rails to the truck a few times to finally get everything lined up so the panels would slide without popping off the rubber bump stops and not bind, but nothing too difficult. I used the lines of the plastic covers on my truck to help me visually keep the rails straight before tightening and retrying to close the cover.

Anyway, I had to work tonight, but when I got out to my phone I had a voicemail from Peragon wanting to make sure that they were there if I had any questions or needed help with anything. A+ Customer Service in my book!

The fitment was very exact. I can tell a lot of R&D has been done. I'm very pleased with the product. Thank you Peragon for supplying the public with a more affordable option for a hard top, retractable bed cover!

Here are a couple pics I snapped before going to work today. I'll get some more if you guys want.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
ChiefGReid
Tuned
FlowGoode - I'm going to add to your post instead of starting a new one.

My bed cover from Peragon was shipped on 28 August. Expected delivery date was expected on 3 September by Fedex.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a phone call from Peragon telling me that my cover was delivered on the 31st of August, and if I had any questions, to call. The two boxes were very well packed and protected.

I took my time inspecting the cover, and I have to say, I was very impressed with the quality of the product.

I had my cover painted Adobe to match the lower panels of my truck. The effect is striking IMHO.

Installation instructions were pretty good, and the videos were helpful in understanding the process.

Since I was installing this by myself, I did a couple of things differently, that were not covered specifically in the instructions.

First. I used a couple of small project work tables and saw horses I have in the garage to put the side rails and head piece together. This makes putting the parts on the rails more comfortable, rather then putting it together on the ground and having to bend over it all the time.

Second. I would recommend that Peragon use a slightly wider front rubber seal. This seal covers the front of the truck head rail. I added a piece of round rubber gasket material to the top of the bed rail and insures that water can't enter. I got the extra rubber seal from a local RV parts store for about 4 bucks.

The rest of the seals are adequate to do the job.

Third. Since I was installing this cover without help, I thought about how I would get the cover from upside down on the work tables to the top of the truck bed, and right side up. I was concerned about keeping the side rails square with the head piece and not allowing any flex, which could bend or twist the head piece. My solution was to take two long closet clothes rod dowel and using masking tape and a couple of short bungee cords secure it midway across the bed rails with the second rod attached to the head piece and secured like a cross. This keeps all pieces in line when you lift the rails from the middle and flip it over on top of the truck bed. Worked like a charm.

Installation of the cover was not complicated, and the instructions accurately reflect the process.

Living in Oregon, we get lots and lots of rain. Taking the truck through a car wash will tell you pretty quick how much water will get into the truck bed. After going through the wash, I was glad to see that the bed rug was dry with only a couple of small dribbles around the tail gate. Pretty impressive.

I've had mostly Retrax covers on my other trucks, and they worked great, but!!! You do lose bed space for the roller bin.

With Peragon, the folded top takes up surprising little room, and it's easy to take out if you need the whole bed. I like this! And, it does not block your view through the rear window as some fold up bed covers do. This is a plus!

I've been pretty impressed so far with this product.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
It looks very nice being painted adobe to match your truck.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChiefGReid
I've been pretty impressed so far with this product.
Thank you for your positive review and photos - very sharp!

If we can help with anything down the road, just let us know!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:59 AM
Lake Rat Jim
Junior User
Have you driven offroad with it yet? Just curious how it holds up driving on a typical dirt road.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
Mine has been installed well over a year now and it's holding up great. My only glitch has been the screws that adjust the distance the ramps stay away from the side walls loosened and I fixed that with a little thread-lock.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Mine has been installed well over a year now and it's holding up great. My only glitch has been the screws that adjust the distance the ramps stay away from the side walls loosened and I fixed that with a little thread-lock.
Good to hear, Bud! If you ever need anything, please be sure to let me know and we'll take good care of you. Thank you for the feedback!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

One question Heath.... is there any lubricate I should use in the side rail tracks? I can't remember reading anything about that... a dry lube for instance?

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
One question Heath.... is there any lubricate I should use in the side rail tracks? I can't remember reading anything about that... a dry lube for instance?
Hi Bud - We don't have anything we officially recommend and I don't have anything I've used personally. Typically, if everything is performing as it should the cover will move smoothly without lubrication - the ball bearing rollers do the work. If your cover is a bit sticky, please PM me with the details and I'd be happy to help troubleshoot.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:51 PM
DJL66
Freshman User
I've had my Peragon cover for just over a year now and have been very impressed with function and looks. I did however end up getting some rubbing between the panels when they were folded up while I was transporting some boxes shortly after purchasing this cover. To fix this I added some 3M paint protection film to each panel and on each panel end I added weather stipping foam. This prevents the panels from rubbing together when folded, prevents the panels from slamming together when opening and still allows the panels to roll in the track without any resistance. I had forwarded some pictures to Peragon with an explanation on what I did to fix this issue. I did not need to put the 3M film on but found a great deal on eBay so I did for added protection.
Heath and the team are fantastic to deal with which was certainly a selling point for me.
Don

Old 10-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by DJL66
I've had my Peragon cover for just over a year now and have been very impressed with function and looks. I did however end up getting some rubbing between the panels when they were folded up while I was transporting some boxes shortly after purchasing this cover. To fix this I added some 3M paint protection film to each panel and on each panel end I added weather stipping foam. This prevents the panels from rubbing together when folded, prevents the panels from slamming together when opening and still allows the panels to roll in the track without any resistance. I had forwarded some pictures to Peragon with an explanation on what I did to fix this issue. I did not need to put the 3M film on but found a great deal on eBay so I did for added protection.
Heath and the team are fantastic to deal with which was certainly a selling point for me.
Don
Hi Don -

Thank you for your followup review and positive comments! Glad to hear your Peragon cover has been working well for you.

After your feedback and hearing similar from other customers, we did add rubber bumpers between the panels. That improvement has been shipping since earlier this year.

- Heath

Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Heath, are these rubber bumpers screwed on or with an adhesive? Can I retrofit?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Heath, are these rubber bumpers screwed on or with an adhesive? Can I retrofit?
Hi Bud -

The bumpers just "snap" into a 1/4" hole in the corner of the panels - hidden under the rails when the cover is closed. A retrofit is possible if you're up for drilling the 1/4" holes. (I have an instruction PDF for this I could email to you.) I'd be happy to send you the bumpers at no charge, just let me know!

- Heath

Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

If you PM me the pdf of the instructions I'll check it out and let you know if I wanna do it.... I'm assuming it'll get rid of the clatter while driving when I don't strap down the panels?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
If you PM me the pdf of the instructions I'll check it out and let you know if I wanna do it.... I'm assuming it'll get rid of the clatter while driving when I don't strap down the panels?
PM sent...

The bumpers may help, but to have the best chance of a silent ride the tether should be used to keep the panels from moving when folded. The primary purpose of the bumpers is to separate the top of the panels when folded to protect the finish.