Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Motorcycle Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's amazing how much extra power can be had from an engine with a proper metal message of the cylinder head.
I just had our Blast on one of my lifts a few weeks ago for a front / top motor mount replacement. These mounts are notorious for breaking. If you haven't had that problem yet you will discover that, currently, there is only one place to go for a replacement mount. engine mount-Buell Blast
The replica replacement they produce is not cast like the OEM part. Instead, they machine it from solid billet. What should have been a quick swap turned into more of an ordeal since one of the mount bolts to the cylinder head had broken of below the surface of the head. Yeah....somehow I got the remains of that bolt out with the head in place. It's all happy now!
Let me know what your budget is for a bagger and what specifically your looking for. I might be able to help you out.
Meantime, keep yer knees in the breeze!
Capt'n

Old 08-09-2016, 05:14 PM
cpt_gloval
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhere near Beaver Creek, YT

Name:  DN6W3mh.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  511.5 KB

It's my second Ulysses. Sold my '06 to get this '08. I also have a '07 Ulysses I inherited from a friend, #3.

Rode my 06 to Sturgis, Texas, and all over the west. Rode my 08 to Sturgis, BC, Yukon, and Alaska.

Going to turn the '07 into a road-focused tourer.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:44 PM
cpt_gloval
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way, if you need Buell parts give Lance at St. Paul H-D's parts department a call. They stock $100k+ in Buell and order more every day. This is where Al at American Sport Bike got his moco parts. They had steering head bearings, ZTL hardare, and a coil pack all in stock when I called.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Buell Parts

Thanks for the tip!! We have a lil Blast that my eldest daughter has toured all over with in the past few years (Daytona, Olympic Peninsula Loop, Mt. Baker etc..etc) but it had the infamous cracked top/front motor mount. This thing is like hens teeth to find but, I did find an outfit that makes a billet replica of the original cast piece called Buellsterparts.com. Turns out the reason for the cracked mount was a sheared mounting bolt that goes thru the mount and into the cyl. head. This broke flush and was a bear to get out. Once removed the new billet mount was a quick install.

My eldest daughter, and mother of two, on her ole Buell Blast that's she's ridden all over the country from FL to WA and parts in between.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:36 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 359 Likes on 131 Posts
I got a 1976 MotoGuzzi Convert if I can ever get enough time at home to rebuild. Bought it in 96 and burned a hole in the right piston. It sat up since due to family commitments until last year when I decided to start getting the parts to rebuild it. I had lost the first wife before that and had decided to enjoy my life more.
Then found a beautiful woman and remarried a year ago and changed jobs so been traveling the Americas, Western US, Mexico, Chile, Trinidad, next is Argentina.
Started to forget what the peninsula looks like again.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Guzzi

Yeah...life sure can get in the way of a fella just tryin to have some fun. Glad to hear that your diggin into your Guzzi. Parts aren't the easiest to find for that Italian thoroughbred but a balanced machine to ride. Just awesome.
If you get the chance, please post some pix of your progress. I sure we all would enjoy seeing your bike come to fruition and back on the road.

Capt'n

Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello....

Got a new-ish computer and getting back into the forum.

After a few months of shopping I picked up a 2001 FLHT ElectraGlide Standard in Portland for $4,700. Previous owner stripped it down to look like a street glide, custom airbrush that's a little "loud" for my tastes and had Ray Charles go at the wiring with a weed whacker.

Bought it middle of July 2016 and have put 14,xxx miles on it so far.

Denver in August. I dropped the wife off at SeaTac at 5am Thurs and had lunch with her and friends in Boulder Co at 5pm Friday. The ride back with her was 4.5 days.

Had 40,000 miles when I got it and so far have done rear tire, brake pads in rear and wiring right after purchase. Replaced carb/intake seals and ported the manifold while apart, played with tuning, built a 2>1 pipe using a newer style V&H Pro-pipe, added crash bar with lower fairings, Klockworks windshield, got a factory Ultraclassic seat, flushed front brake system since PO mixed DOT 3 and 5 and added Russle speed bleeders all around. I got 14,xxx out of a Kenda rear tire and just put a Dunlop E3 on the back last week, shortened my exhaust, removed lower half of rear bumper, removed broken fender tip light and relocated plate to bottom edge of fender, modified a Dyna HD "lindy" style crash bar for more comfort in nicer weather.

I have not yet been inside the motor and previous owner had no idea the work done to it. I do know it has cams and adjustable PRs but unsure what cams, will find out shortly as I can hear that it's time for new chain tension shoes and may do the 07+ hydraulic conversion as I have most of the parts required. Granted I had the cheapest rear tire I could find but even the new E3 does it, if it is so much as damp out the bike goes sideways with throttle input at any speed. I like excitement so drifting a 900 lb bike on the freeway at 80 in the rain is kinda up my alley but it can be a little unnerving when going over the pass in the rain and feeling the back of the bike move a few inches every time it hits an expansion gap.

Holy ramblin' batman, I'm back. haha

Old 04-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Congrates on the new Puter and poundin the pavement on your ElectraGlide! I too have had a lot going on for the past year and haven't been in here for a long while.
I had a sever heart attach last December and had to cool my heels. So, I bought a 5th wheel and hitched it to my 06 F-150 and headed south in late Jan. for Havasu, AZ. I had a buddy tow my small trailer with 3 of my bikes on it down to AZ as well. While there, I sold two of them and entered the 3rd bike into the big 9th annual Rockabilly Reunion Show. Took home 1st place.
The Beast Bobber with 1st place trophy at the 9th annual 2017 Rockabilly Reunion in Lake Havasu City, AZ

Owner & founder of Beast Customs LLC, Capt. Larry Phillips posing with one of his custom built bikes and the 1st place trophy from the 2017 Rockabilly Reunion Show in Lake Havasu, AZ

Last edited by Capt'n Phillips; 04-07-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Tried to shrink pix...oye!
Old 04-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Had a good time spending the winter down south in AZ. Below is a pic of myself and two of my custom bikes along AZ Hwy 95 just north of Lake Havasu City, AZ last February (2017).

Old 04-11-2017, 02:29 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Got my toy back in the garage at home. It had been staying with a trusted buddy while we were moving. Almost 25 years old and it still fired up in 4 kicks after sitting for a few months. Always brings back nostalgic memories of the 'McGrath Era' of AMA Supercross. No matter how much faster the 4-stroke thumpers get, this will always be the bike my childhood hero rode hahaha!

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2017, 01:10 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Well Capt, that's one way to have being a SnowBird pay for itself. Congrats on 1st place! Most of the Baby Boomer era friends I have live in Az at least half the year and get to ride year around. Another "local" HD builder that made the permanent move down was Bob Gage, miss hanging out with Casey Wing and Bsing with Bob.

I like the old CR. After the 4 strokes took over everyone said a 2 stroke had no chance of ever getting a holeshot again, believe it was in Ca at a Supercross race that Mcgrath pulled a CR250 to the line and took the holeshot by more than a bike length just to prove the world wrong, he pulled off the track after the Holeshot as his point had been made. haha

Considering my bike is at 54,xxx miles and the history/parts are unknown I was concerned about the possible condition of factory cam chain tensioners still being in it and nervously pulled the cover off... only to find an S&S gear drive setup and 510G cams, WHEW. Very nice surprise that someone else had already spent the $1,000+ and changed it out. Will be getting some Rockout shaft inserts to see if it quiets down the topend and doing breather drain back hole modification to help with the oil misting issues on the highway.

In August will be doing a big loop to spend a week in Santa Fe to see if the wife and I want to move there and then visiting a friend in Denver for a few days. The last trip was a rush for me as I only got one week off work but this year she is the one working and flying into NM and out of Co. I will probably take 4 days to get down stopping to see friends on the way in multiple states and a different route back to see more people.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Well Capt, that's one way to have being a SnowBird pay for itself. Congrats on 1st place! Most of the Baby Boomer era friends I have live in Az at least half the year and get to ride year around. Another "local" HD builder that made the permanent move down was Bob Gage, miss hanging out with Casey Wing and Bsing with Bob.

I like the old CR. After the 4 strokes took over everyone said a 2 stroke had no chance of ever getting a holeshot again, believe it was in Ca at a Supercross race that Mcgrath pulled a CR250 to the line and took the holeshot by more than a bike length just to prove the world wrong, he pulled off the track after the Holeshot as his point had been made. haha

Considering my bike is at 54,xxx miles and the history/parts are unknown I was concerned about the possible condition of factory cam chain tensioners still being in it and nervously pulled the cover off... only to find an S&S gear drive setup and 510G cams, WHEW. Very nice surprise that someone else had already spent the $1,000+ and changed it out. Will be getting some Rockout shaft inserts to see if it quiets down the topend and doing breather drain back hole modification to help with the oil misting issues on the highway.

In August will be doing a big loop to spend a week in Santa Fe to see if the wife and I want to move there and then visiting a friend in Denver for a few days. The last trip was a rush for me as I only got one week off work but this year she is the one working and flying into NM and out of Co. I will probably take 4 days to get down stopping to see friends on the way in multiple states and a different route back to see more people.
New Mexico in August....better you than me. It's gonna be cookin! I hope ya have a safe and memorable trip. I know I'm looking forward to spending next winter in Havasu, AZ. It's become such a gearhead town. My kinda place.
As for the CR....old luvs never die.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:23 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Santa Fe is a pretty stable climate being at 7,100 ft and I expect high 80s-mid 90s, going through Az at 115-120 will be the worst of it.

Past trials have taught me how to deal with it though. Last year the people that were coming back from sturgis would look at me funny at gas stations since Utah desert was 120ish and while they were wearing T shirts, no helmets and trying to hydrate with beer... I was wearing leather pants, jacket and a half helmet with a bandana over my face. They would inquire and I'd ask their mileage for the previous day, they would brag about 300 miles and when I responded that I did 1,100 the day before they got the point. haha

Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Santa Fe is a pretty stable climate being at 7,100 ft and I expect high 80s-mid 90s, going through Az at 115-120 will be the worst of it.

Past trials have taught me how to deal with it though. Last year the people that were coming back from sturgis would look at me funny at gas stations since Utah desert was 120ish and while they were wearing T shirts, no helmets and trying to hydrate with beer... I was wearing leather pants, jacket and a half helmet with a bandana over my face. They would inquire and I'd ask their mileage for the previous day, they would brag about 300 miles and when I responded that I did 1,100 the day before they got the point. haha
Ha! Yeah...they don't get it. I lived for many years in the deserts of NV and learned real quick to layer up in the heat. Your body will self regulate with that much insulation on. My wife lived for years in the middle east back in the 70's working in the airline industry. She's very fare complected redhead and she too learned real fast how to insulate to stay cool. Seems like an oxymoron to put on more clothes to stay cooler in sever heat but....it works!

Old 04-14-2017, 01:03 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Bought my first HD while I lived in Az and I was the tank top and sunglasses type, till the sun, heat, wind removed too many layers of skin from my forehead/face and the whiskey wouldn't hydrate me. Oh, to be that young/senseless again.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Chatter