Motorcycle Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt'n Phillips
Hey Thom,
That Honda will do the trick. I've done it a couple times along I-90 to Ticonderoga, NY from Puget Sound (San Juan Island). I'd suggest taking a couple weeks so you can stop and take in some of the sites and wonders along the route. Once here, you'll have to go whale watching up here in the islands.

Capt'n
I've been to Friday Harbor twice for whale watching. I need to spend a couple days up there.

My next cross country drive will definitely be a couple weeks long. Only done it once so far, west to east, and only had 3 days to do it. Didn't see anything but what was outside the windows, which sucked. And we drove past Sturgis at the beginning of the rally, too!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lemme know Thom....I can hook you up with lodging and other things to do here like Zip Lining through the forest, an island motorcycle tour with a local riding group I started last year called S.I.C. (Salish Island Coasters). We have no elections, no officers, no dues and no rules. My kinda riders.
Capt'n

Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Just took my latest build out for it's 1st putt yesterday around our island.
Here's a link to a vid my Son-n-law took trailing me on his Rocket III.
I took it easy on the new engine while it's being broke in but, that S&S Shovelhead 93" er is a real stump puller. Even caught a peek of some Orca whales along the westside of our island that faces the straights.
Here's the link:
Capt'n

Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks problem free, that 93" Shovel should have ample torque for anything you'd want to do with it.

Think your kid (in-law) might have enough crap on his bars to effect the handling in a poor manner. haha

Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 PM
lucky_thirteen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Don't see why not, it's got 2 wheels and a motor. Is that an SX model?

Yup, 250sx. I'm not brave enough to ride on the street, so I stick to the dirt.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:05 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
I used to ride and race dirt, nowhere near anything professional. I had a habit of getting out of hand until I overshot a huge double and broke a lot of bones, laid in the desert the desert for hours with nobody around and finally got me and the broken bike back to the truck. It broke the frame on my YZ in 5 spots when I flat landed. Last time I rode a dirt bike, now I just have a bad reputation for wheelying the HD and passing "street bikes" in corners, I have tried to calm down but it's not easy. haha

Old 10-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Looks problem free, that 93" Shovel should have ample torque for anything you'd want to do with it.

Think your kid (in-law) might have enough crap on his bars to effect the handling in a poor manner. haha
Yeah...ya think?!?! I think he's still tryin to find a place to mount the auto butt wiper.
Capt'n

Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Originally Posted by lucky_thirteen
Yup, 250sx. I'm not brave enough to ride on the street, so I stick to the dirt.
Ya know Lucky......maybe it's just me (I'm almost sure it is) but, after over 40yrs of riding not just my own bikes but, also all my customers bikes (I've owned a bike shop for last couple decades) I've gone down more times than I care to count. Never, at least so far, have I been hurt on the street and I've ridden all over this country from coast to coast and lived on both coasts and the south. From So.Cal. to WA. State, New England to Florida (my home state...land of newlyweds and nearly dead) and have barely ever gotten so much as a scratch but, I'm scarred up from head to toe and busted enough bones to feel like Evel Knievel's stunt double from off road riding. Most I will admit where attributed too three things....booze....ego....and peer pressure during my youth. Like...it might be a bad idea to hill climb a stock meridan Triumph 650 with street tires just cause one of your buddies made it on his Honda Elsinore 125...yeah...I did that. It was in a buddies backyard in the high Sierras of Central Cali. that put me through a triple cattle barbed wire fence...it wasn't pretty. I patched myself up with some med tape and butterflied my gaping wounds up til we made back down to So.Cal....never did see a doctor for that one.
Like I said, it's just probably me. Ya just can't fix stupid...even if it is temporary due to pressure from friends mixed with waaaay to many brews.
Hope your safer at it then I was.
Capt'n

Old 10-22-2013, 04:30 PM
rogue40
Posting Guru
Nice video Capt. I watched Your Artist Point one too. Been meaning to GoPro just about every road you did but now I don't have to.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM
lucky_thirteen
Senior User
I used to ride and race dirt, nowhere near anything professional. I had a habit of getting out of hand until I overshot a huge double and broke a lot of bones, laid in the desert the desert for hours with nobody around and finally got me and the broken bike back to the truck. It broke the frame on my YZ in 5 spots when I flat landed. Last time I rode a dirt bike, now I just have a bad reputation for wheelying the HD and passing "street bikes" in corners, I have tried to calm down but it's not easy. haha

That sounds like an awfully miserable day. I'm going to knock on wood before I even say this, but I've been lucky and have never broken any bones while riding. A bunch of bruises and a torn knee have been all my enjoyment

Ya know Lucky......maybe it's just me (I'm almost sure it is) but, after over 40yrs of riding not just my own bikes but, also all my customers bikes (I've owned a bike shop for last couple decades) I've gone down more times than I care to count. Never, at least so far, have I been hurt on the street and I've ridden all over this country from coast to coast and lived on both coasts and the south. From So.Cal. to WA. State, New England to Florida (my home state...land of newlyweds and nearly dead) and have barely ever gotten so much as a scratch but, I'm scarred up from head to toe and busted enough bones to feel like Evel Knievel's stunt double from off road riding. Most I will admit where attributed too three things....booze....ego....and peer pressure during my youth. Like...it might be a bad idea to hill climb a stock meridan Triumph 650 with street tires just cause one of your buddies made it on his Honda Elsinore 125...yeah...I did that. It was in a buddies backyard in the high Sierras of Central Cali. that put me through a triple cattle barbed wire fence...it wasn't pretty. I patched myself up with some med tape and butterflied my gaping wounds up til we made back down to So.Cal....never did see a doctor for that one.
Like I said, it's just probably me. Ya just can't fix stupid...even if it is temporary due to pressure from friends mixed with waaaay to many brews.
Hope your safer at it then I was.
Capt'n

I'm pretty good about staying within my ability. I grew up on quads and switched to bikes a few years ago. I'm still trying to figure the dang things out

Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Originally Posted by rogue40
Nice video Capt. I watched Your Artist Point one too. Been meaning to GoPro just about every road you did but now I don't have to.
"Artist Point"?? Not sure which one you mean. My son-n-law likes to think he's all that and a bag a chips when it comes to techy gadgets and doing vids....truthfully....the boy's got no talent in that regard. Took me a month to convince him that mounting his camera on the SIDE of his helmet only got 1/2 the shot but putting it on TOP of his helmet would be much better. DUH! As we say in the south "Bless his Heart" at least the boy is tryin.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
More Power + More Speed + More Adrenalin = Ohh SH&^%

Story of my life right there. haha

Capt'n some people just may never "get it". Taught my wife to ride then did one of those endorsement classes with her, for her first long (ish) ride we went to a camp-out in Ephrata put on by a Clean&Sober club as I figured it would be a tame expierance for her. Now the sad part, is my wife rode better than at least 20% of the guys wearing patches, and she was on a Blast having her first ride fighting wind gusts, I was ashamed for those men. But the good news, she's a natural, people need not wonder why I married her. haha

Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 PM
rogue40
Posting Guru
"Artist Point"?? Not sure which one you mean.

Looks like and early August run.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
More Power + More Speed + More Adrenalin = Ohh SH&^%

Story of my life right there. haha

Capt'n some people just may never "get it". Taught my wife to ride then did one of those endorsement classes with her, for her first long (ish) ride we went to a camp-out in Ephrata put on by a Clean&Sober club as I figured it would be a tame expierance for her. Now the sad part, is my wife rode better than at least 20% of the guys wearing patches, and she was on a Blast having her first ride fighting wind gusts, I was ashamed for those men. But the good news, she's a natural, people need not wonder why I married her. haha
You obviously got lucky.....my ole lady won't have anything to do with bikes, boats or much else that makes obnoxious noise mixed with a good dose of adrenaline. However, between our two extremes, we do strike a good balance between us. BTW, my eldest daughter absolutely luvs her Blast. She's ridden it all over the country from Oyster Run to Daytona bike week.
Capt'n

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Originally Posted by rogue40
Mount Baker Ride - YouTube

Looks like and early August run.
Oh...thaaaaat Artist Point. The riding group I started last year (Salish Island Coasters or S.I.C. for short) did the Mt. Baker putt but do to my heavy schedule here at the motorcycle shop I didn't go. And I believe your right...I think it was around early August.
Capt'n

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Chatter