Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, Truck will NOT Start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help, Truck will NOT Start!

Hi everyone,

I have a 93 Ford F150, 302V8.... So heres the problem, the other day I went to crank it I cranked fine, fine about a hour,then turned it off... Came bk to in in two hrs and it was hesitate to start and when it did it sounded like it was flooding its self out.. Well I drove it anyways... ran to town to lowes, went shopping and then it took me almost 45mins to get it started again.. Whil running down the hwy it ran like a scalded dog... since then I have replaced the Idle Control Valve, Ignition Control Mod and the Coil pk.. Now the truck will just turn over, it will not crank at all! Any Advice? Thanks Guys

Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"Turn over" and "crank" mean the same thing- that the engine is rotating. So I take it you mean that it's cranking, but not firing/starting, correct?

I see that you replaced the ignition control module- which color module was on the truck, and which color did you replace it with? I don't know the specs, but the gray module is intended for certain years and the black module is intended for certain years, and if you swapped colors, then you installed the wrong ignition module.

Beyond that, how's the battery? Have you had it tested? Any idea if the alternator is good? What's the condition of the starter solenoid?

You should also pull engine codes. Follow the steps here to do so: Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test or buy a code reader. They're reasonably cheap and make pulling codes much easier. Report back with your findings.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
Sorry, I meant the truck is just turning over but not cranking. The Battery, Alt and Starter Selnoid are all new (at least in the last yr) I have a scan tool, the only code I can get right now says the Engine Temp Sensor is Higher or lower than normal. Thanks for Looking, Any Advice

Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 AM
broke vet
Senior User
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
"Turn over" and "crank" mean the same thing- that the engine is rotating. So I take it you mean that it's cranking, but not firing/starting, correct?
Originally Posted by Volkelrunner74
Sorry, I meant the truck is just turning over but not cranking.
As @DBGrif91 said, "turn over" and "crank" mean the same thing.

I can only interpret what you're saying in one of two ways:
  1. The engine is turning over, or "cranking", very slowly, or
  2. The engine is turning over, or "cranking", normally but is not starting.

Is it one of these two? If it is not, please expand on exactly what it is not doing.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
Sorry, the truck is not firing.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 PM
broke vet
Senior User
If you push the accelerator pedal to the floor, keep it there, and turn the key, will it start?

Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
It did the other day... Thats the only way it would fire.. it would spit and spudder and smoke (Sounded like it was either flooding it self or wasnt getting enough fuel.) But now it will not fire at all...

Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM
broke vet
Senior User
Is the Check Engine Light lit up?

Have you pulled any codes from it yet? If you did, what were they?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
No Check Engine Light, the codes, that are showing are DTC 116, DTC 118 and DTC 121... Im sure there are more but I cant get it to fire to test.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 PM
broke vet
Senior User
116 and 118 both point at the ECT sensor. While you will need to get to that eventually, it isn't what is keeping the truck from starting. Ditto 121, the TPS.

When you turn the key to run, can you hear the in-tank fuel pump running for a second or two? If you can, what is your fuel pressure?

If you can't, does it not run at all or does it run continuously?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
Yh the i can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on. I believe it for a sec or two.. I will get you a for sure answer tomorrow. as for fuel pressure, I dont know yet.. Im checking that in the morning.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
Okay... So I went out to the truck this morning... the fuel pump stays on for about 3-4 Secs... I rented a Fuel pressure testing kit.. With the Gauge hooked on the fuel rail and the ingnition switch on the on Position, Im only getting 9 PSI... So is a my fuel
pump bad? Thanks

Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 AM
broke vet
Senior User
Possibly, or the fuel pressure regulator could be bad or the fuel line has a restriction in it. There is a procedure in the Haynes manual that will allow you to check this; first, though, when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? (That is one of the things in the procedure to check if the pressure doesn't increase when you block the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator.)

Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Volkelrunner74
Freshman User
The fuel filter was replaced last summer... and since then the truck has had maybe 5000miles put on it.. (Its not a daily driver) So i was just screwing with it... After turning the key on/off on/off several time the fuel gauge built up to 48psi... if my pump was bad, would it do this? Im starting to think maybe Fuel regulator or filter now. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 PM
broke vet
Senior User
Good pressure and presumptively good filter. And air, of course; that's two of the three things an engine needs to run. Fire is the third, which brings us to the ignition.

Are the plugs in good shape? What about the plug wires, and the high-tension coil wire between the coil and the distributor cap?

Do you see any carbon tracking on either the inside or the outside of the cap? What about the rotor? (Look the rotor over carefully. I had a vehicle crap out in traffic one hot desert afternoon when the secondary voltage blew through the rotor underneath the contact arm and went to ground through the distributor shaft. It ran fine at idle; under throttle, though, it died. I wound up under the hood in uniform at 110 degrees or so digging burnt plastic out with a pocketknife so I could get to the parts store and buy a replacement.)

Quick Reply: Please Help, Truck will NOT Start!