1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch mounting on 2014 F-250 ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch mounting on 2014 F-250 ideas.

OK, so I figured I would use the forum some more..

I did some searching and only came up empty on info for winch mounting on a 250 for the 2013/14 body styles (yeah, I read '11-up is the same).

I want to start out, I do not like the looks of the aftermarket bumpers and do not want one on my truck. I am looking for a brush guard type mount, but have not located anyone that makes them for my truck, for a winch and in black. I did see that Warn makes one, but I can not find any info or prices for it, the links I found say its discontinued???

Anyway, I have been looking at the front of my truck, trying to get ideas about just building my own as I am handy at fabricating things, however my problem is that I can not think up/draft up my own ideas. I am the type of person that can copy something if they look at it, or take something and make mods to it for it to work, such as I did with the plow mounts for 2 different plow trucks as well as other things I had made winch mounts for. But this being a new truck and not a 30 year old jeep or 10+ year old trucks, I want it to look better then making something just work...

I already have a winch that I have had for a long time, Ramesy 9000, Its been on 2 scrapping trailers, 2 trucks and a jeep. Now before you start on its to small for my 250, I have 2 ****** blocks I use if needed and its not like I am going to pull my truck up in the air. I rarely get stuck either by not getting in where I shouldn't or the fact I am a hillbilly and can drive better off road then I can on the HWY. Regardless of which one you pick, If and when I do get hung up, all it usually takes is a little help, heck I was once pulled out by a Dodge Raider in a company f350 4x4 dully, all due to one front wheel droping into an old test hole we forgot about, just needed a little nudge.

So for my purposes of a winch, the 9k will do just fine by its self, then comes the 2 blocks if I need them.....

So, I would like to hear some ideas or better off see pictures of 2011+ trucks with winch mounts on them w/factory bumpers.

Oh I did find some info on the warn(?) hidden mount, but they stick out something like 6" and I do not want that either....

Thanks

Old 10-09-2013, 04:38 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Your winch is plenty big enough. Youre not picking your truck up by the winch so its fine. The bigger ones just get the job done faster. As long as it is reliable thats all that matters.

Look into a front receiver. Thats how I am mounting mine. Its a receiver hitch that mounts to the front of the frame, and you set the winch in a cradle which goes into the receiver like a hitch would.

Front receivers are rated for 9000lb line pull. Then you can wrap yours in a winch, also like mine.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4

Look into a front receiver. Thats how I am mounting mine. Its a receiver hitch that mounts to the front of the frame, and you set the winch in a cradle which goes into the receiver like a hitch would.
I thought about doing that (guess I should had mentioned it) as I had that set up on a 91 f-150 I used to own. Funny thing is, I built it myself way before you could ever buy them "over the counter" (at least in my area). that and the hitch carry all thing, yeah I thought of both almost 20 years ago, if only I had got a patten on both, I might have 2 nickles to rub together...

Anyway, back the the hitch mount, that would be a good idea and I may look into that setup, but I would be afraid that someone would pull the pin and steal the winch, but I guess I could use the locks that are for trailer receiver bars.. It's not like I would be taking it off the front, the dang thing got heavy a few years ago.... But since I do have 2 up fitter switches in the rear, that would be handy

Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User

Oh, by the way, any close up pictures so I can see how the system looks/works. I know your truck is different model, same concept...

The only pictures I have found of the truck(my body style) front with front hitch have them comming out the air dam, I do not want my hitch that low. I did see there are different types of front hitches, but as always there stock pictures.

I would want mine to be sitting/exiting the center of the bumper, that way the winch pull is at frame level, its a preference thing...

Last edited by Shovel Monkey; 10-09-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: forgot a bunch of words.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

You can also leave it in the garage or something if you arent going to be off pavement. Its up to you, I dont know what your needs are and what not, but me, I drive to LA for work several times per week. I can just take it off and leave it at home. No need for a winch in the city.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:02 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Shovel Monkey
Oh, by the way, any close up pictures so I can see how the system looks/works. I know your truck is different model, same concept...
I dont have one on yet. Basically it mounts to the bolts the bumper uses and puts the receiver in the opening in the bumper.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User
Ok, so looking online, I do not like the ones (pictured) that I have found.

So if I make my own I would bolt it to the inside of the frame where the strange "horn" brackets are behind the air damn as well as a flat bracket that has the tow hook bolts going through to them....

I think this would work, unless anyone else has any ideas, or they make one like this since I am also lazy...

Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User
I dont have one on yet. Basically it mounts to the bolts the bumper uses and puts the receiver in the opening in the bumper.

that's how I want mine if I used this set up...
The only one I could find I do not like, but I can make one that is like yours..

As for taking it on and off, I most likely will not have a use for it, but as soon as I do, it would be at the house. I do not have a garage so its outside anyway, and the dang thing is heavier then I remember it being a few years ago...
So in short I would leave it on just for the sake of not wanting to kill my back putting it on the truck, besides its laying up against the back of the house now, need it to go somewhere out of the way...

Old 10-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User

From web search, not my truck

Last edited by Shovel Monkey; 10-09-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: due to lack of knowing what I am doing
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
This is the mounting system I'm considering for mine, nice thing about it is the winch is always there unlike the ones that side into a receiver. http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s...dden_kit.shtml

Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
A great fit for a storage solution for your winch is the Lock and Load. It will fit standard front or rear receiver hitches and allow the winch to be fully functional for use without removal from the tray.
It can also be used to carry other items like a generator, tools, etc. under lock and key

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog