Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: BPofMD

Cab swap and Maryland MVA question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
ericconn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab swap and Maryland MVA question

Has anyone done a cab swap or something similar in Maryland? I just got my tags for my truck this morning and asked the teller if there were any forms and she said that since there's a VIN on the motor and elsewhere, MD doesn't require any paperwork if the cab is swapped. Can anyone back this up for sure? I thought at one time I saw a form online for the MVA for custom vehicles, but can't find it on there. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
It depends on the year. before 1980, the serial numbers were not always in the dash. Some were on the door, some were on the door jamb, some under the hood, some in the glove box

1981 brought great wisdom ( not really)
Everything got a 16 digit serial number, starting with 1 for United states, 2 for Canada, and 3 for Mexico

This plate was pop riveted to the inside dash metal, visible through the lower driver's side window
The pop rivets are "special" and not available to the public

In the state of Md, to change a cab after 1980, you must have the tittle for both cabs. You take the finished truck to Glen Burnaie MVA, and have it inspected.
They then take both tittles, and submit you with a new serial number for the truck

There is also a serial number on top of the frame rail passenger side front, and another on a cross member of the frame. I never found that one.

Trucks manfactured after 2001, have serial number on the inside of every panel on the truck, including the door panels.

The lady at MVA was incorrect about the serial number on the engine

There is however a date stamp, with factory where built, and what line it came from

This is true also for the transmission
Front and rear drive axles have a tag, states year, gear ratio, truck plant and line it came from

Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did hear a few horror stories about the MVA and tearing guys truck in pieces looking for those numbers and others
they aren't very nice about taking stuff apart

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by jr32560
I did hear a few horror stories about the MVA and tearing guys truck in pieces looking for those numbers and others
they aren't very nice about taking stuff apart
& They don't put it back together....

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM
ericconn
Senior User
Okay, sounds like a nightmare from what you guys are saying. But looking at the website, it seems all I need is the title for the truck (frame) and then a bill of sale for the cab. Have they changed the rules? I will call the MVA and make certain I don't need a title for the new cab, because I more than likely can't get it.

• Proof of ownership – The ownership document must be for the vehicle frame used in building the reconstructed vehicle:
    • If the frame is new, the certificate of origin included with the kit is required.
    • If the frame is from a used vehicle, a title for the vehicle in your name or a title that has been properly assigned to you is required.
    • If the frame is from a salvaged vehicle, a salvage certificate in your name or a certificate that has been properly assigned to you is required.
    • Other documents that may establish ownership are:
      • Registration document and bill of sale – ONLY if the state from which the frame was obtained did not issue a title (usually because of the vehicle’s age).
  • Application – You may use either the back of the Maryland title, if applicable, or the Application for Certificate of Title to request the new title (and registration, if applicable). When the Maryland title is used as the application form, complete the section entitled Application for Title and Registration.
  • Proof of purchase price – You must submit the bills of sale and/or receipts for all parts and labor.
  • Odometer disclosure statement - You may use the manufacturer’s certificate of origin or the title to document the mileage of the vehicle. A separate odometer disclosure statement may also be submitted.
  • Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (if applicable) - A new vehicle identification number (VIN) may be assigned to the completed vehicle. The Maryland State Police will install the new VIN plate after they have inspected it.
  • Maryland safety inspection certificate - A safety inspection is required if the vehicle is being registered at the same time (most cases).

Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
& They don't put it back together....
yeah and if it don't unbolt easy they break said items
there seems to be numbers in many hidden spots that they say they only know about

Old 09-21-2013, 07:55 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ericconn
Okay, sounds like a nightmare from what you guys are saying. But looking at the website, it seems all I need is the title for the truck (frame) and then a bill of sale for the cab. Have they changed the rules? I will call the MVA and make certain I don't need a title for the new cab, because I more than likely can't get it.

• Proof of ownership – The ownership document must be for the vehicle frame used in building the reconstructed vehicle:
    • If the frame is new, the certificate of origin included with the kit is required.
    • If the frame is from a used vehicle, a title for the vehicle in your name or a title that has been properly assigned to you is required.
    • If the frame is from a salvaged vehicle, a salvage certificate in your name or a certificate that has been properly assigned to you is required.
    • Other documents that may establish ownership are:
      • Registration document and bill of sale – ONLY if the state from which the frame was obtained did not issue a title (usually because of the vehicle’s age).
  • Application – You may use either the back of the Maryland title, if applicable, or the Application for Certificate of Title to request the new title (and registration, if applicable). When the Maryland title is used as the application form, complete the section entitled Application for Title and Registration.
  • Proof of purchase price – You must submit the bills of sale and/or receipts for all parts and labor.
  • Odometer disclosure statement - You may use the manufacturer’s certificate of origin or the title to document the mileage of the vehicle. A separate odometer disclosure statement may also be submitted.
  • Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (if applicable) - A new vehicle identification number (VIN) may be assigned to the completed vehicle. The Maryland State Police will install the new VIN plate after they have inspected it.
  • Maryland safety inspection certificate - A safety inspection is required if the vehicle is being registered at the same time (most cases).
unless it has become easier over the years
the destroyed a family members truck cab and other parts looking for serial numbers
good luck
any thing I can do to help hit me up-let the forum know how it turns out

Old 09-21-2013, 06:54 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Having changed cabs, and gone through the process, I wish you luck.
I had to have a tittle for the cab AND the frame.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Here's a post from another current thread. Not Maryland, but pretty much the same all over the US

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Junkyard find, how do I handle, advice please

Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM
ericconn
Senior User
OK, so I just called the MVA just now, and got transferred to the state police safety inspection office in Glen Burnie.

According to the guy I spoke with, I need the title for the original truck and a bill of sale for the new cab (this is also in the language on the MVA website, quoted above). I don't necessarily need the "new" cab's title, which is good. He said they know where the VIN plate on the frame is, but I've been all over this truck and not seen another VIN plate.

I'm really trying to finish up this truck, and now I at least know I can buy the cab at a JY and not have to buy a whole truck to get one with a title. I'd like to swap the cab before the end of the year. Thanks again for any advice.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
It's not a plate, but stamped numbers.
Look on the top of the passenger side frame rail right behind the shock bracket

I'm glad they eased up a bit on the cab changes. It was a real pia before when you had to have both tittles.

What do you do with the serial number in the cabs?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
ericconn
Senior User
Ok, thanks, I will look for those.

I'm not sure what happens to the old serial numbers. I don't know if they delete it or what. That's a good question.