Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What did you do to your IDI today?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Wait a sec, you don't need a new clutch. When a clutch goes bad it doesn't engage. (Or slips badly.)

When a clutch won't disengage it's because something is wrong with the release system. Usually hydraulics, but it can be a damaged quill, throwout fork, firewall damage, worn linkage, etc.

More than likely your new hydraulics need to be bled some more, which is a real SOB in these trucks. A lot of info on this in the FAQ.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tried to find the field mouse that died due to the heat. No luck now trying to get rid of the smell. I tried dryer sheets, Freebreze heavy duty air effects. Put two packs of moth ***** in the cab, got the big citrus air fresher and cedar ring but not open them yet.

On a side note if you help a friend and they put stuff in the cab of the truck check for mice. Did not see the mouse until I went to take the box out. He ran under the passenger seat. Now I can't find it. Pretty sure it dead a day in a black truck with outside Temps in upper 90s

Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have the time or the know-how to address this problem at home. And I shouldn't have to bleed the hydraulics immediately after spending $550 to get the hydraulics worked on.

When he told me it probably needed a new clutch kit, that threw up a red flag. I'm certainly not a qualified mechanic, but my truck isn't exhibiting any slippage issues whatsoever, and I don't see any conceivable way that grinding into reverse is caused by a worn pressure plate or flywheel.

That being said, even if a worn pressure plate or flywheel could cause such an issue, I still don't have any slippage in the clutch at all.

I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning and raising holy hell to get it fixed.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Cool

Originally Posted by Russell F Cary
I don't have the time or the know-how to address this problem at home. And I shouldn't have to bleed the hydraulics immediately after spending $550 to get the hydraulics worked on.

When he told me it probably needed a new clutch kit, that threw up a red flag. I'm certainly not a qualified mechanic, but my truck isn't exhibiting any slippage issues whatsoever, and I don't see any conceivable way that grinding into reverse is caused by a worn pressure plate or flywheel.

That being said, even if a worn pressure plate or flywheel could cause such an issue, I still don't have any slippage in the clutch at all.

I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning and raising holy hell to get it fixed.
Sounds like they do not know what they are doing. So instead of admitting that to you they take the let's throw parts at it and hope that fixes it, if not we'll throw more parts at it. Next they tell you the transmission is bad.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:46 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Well, the slave cylinder was leaking, so it did need to be replaced.

And this shop has been around for years and years, so I don't want to be too quick to assume that they're incompetent.

Regardless, even if it does need a whole new clutch kit, they need to fix what they already did first. There's no way that minor grinding issue should turn into a total inability to shift after $500+ in work.

That needs to get resolved before any clutch kit work is done.

Originally Posted by hturner12
Sounds like they do not know what they are doing. So instead of admitting that to you they take the let's throw parts at it and hope that fixes it, if not we'll throw more parts at it. Next they tell you the transmission is bad.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 PM
hturner12
Postmaster

And this shop has been around for years and years, so I don't want to be too quick to assume that they're incompetent.

Regardless, even if it does need a whole new clutch kit, they need to fix what they already did first. There's no way that minor grinding issue should turn into a total inability to shift after $500+ in work.

Here is the post Chevy talked about
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-info-2.html

# 29.

When a shop tells you well it may be this or that it just rubs the wrong way.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Tried to find the field mouse that died due to the heat. No luck now trying to get rid of the smell. I tried dryer sheets, Freebreze heavy duty air effects. Put two packs of moth ***** in the cab, got the big citrus air fresher and cedar ring but not open them yet.

On a side note if you help a friend and they put stuff in the cab of the truck check for mice. Did not see the mouse until I went to take the box out. He ran under the passenger seat. Now I can't find it. Pretty sure it dead a day in a black truck with outside Temps in upper 90s
Haaa, we've been hitting 113 again here. You just reminded me of this:

Beautiful Redding....

Author Unknown

May 30th:
Just moved to Redding! Now this is a city that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! It is beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here!

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.) Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car now smells like Kibbles and ****s. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer! And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate Redding!

Aug. 8th:
If another wise *** cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the seats in the car, I thought my *** was on fire. My skin melted to the seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and *** . Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ***, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do **** for two damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this place? Water rationing will be next, so my $1,700 worth of landscaping will just dry up and blow over. Even cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. All plants are dead. My yard looks like Hiroshima. Forgot to crack the windows and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?"
My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Redding. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here??

Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro

No, you shouldn't, I agree. And they might not be incompetent, as I said, bleeding the system in these trucks is a real bugger. One of the few things I actually hate about them. And the gotcha, which might have happened to your shop, is that after you get it bled and up to pressure and working it loses some of that pressure during a long sit or overnight. The key is (according to my experiences anyway), is to drive it after it's working. Next day you'll have lost some of the regained pressure, but it'll come back as you drive it. It's a slow day to day process, but it does eventually come back in full.

And of course they play dumb, saying that the new slave cylinder possibly has a shorter throw that is now exacerbating the problem of the clutch not disengaging.
That part concerns me, are they saying they used the wrong parts? (They probably didn't, but they didn't think out that stupid statement.)

So now, I have an appointment next week for a clutch job, to the tune of an estimated $1100, and that's with a NAPA clutch kit and no flywheel. It'll be more if it needs a flywheel.
There is something wrong here at this shop, if they failed in fixing the hydraulics they feel spending more money and time on unrelated parts it'll fix the hydraulic problem?

The clutch's function is to disengage the engine's power output from the input shaft on the transmission. When there is no input from the engine the gears on the input side stop spinning and allows you to engage the gear you want. If the clutch does not disengage the input the gears are turning with the full power of the engine; causing the gears to clash as you attempt to put it in gear. Also makes it very hard to get out of gear as the power of the engine is passing through the transmission attempting to drive the rear axle.

I seriously doubt you need a clutch, it's doing what it should; you're having hydraulic issues that are not allowing the clutch to disengage.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
Haaa, we've been hitting 113 again here. You just reminded me of this:

Beautiful Redding....

Author Unknown

May 30th:
Just moved to Redding! Now this is a city that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! It is beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here!

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.) Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car now smells like Kibbles and ****s. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer! And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate Redding!

Aug. 8th:
If another wise *** cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the seats in the car, I thought my *** was on fire. My skin melted to the seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and *** . Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ***, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do **** for two damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this place? Water rationing will be next, so my $1,700 worth of landscaping will just dry up and blow over. Even cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. All plants are dead. My yard looks like Hiroshima. Forgot to crack the windows and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?"
My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Redding. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here??
That's funny. The heat index was around 105. Walk outside and feels like a Sanua

Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Here is the post Chevy talked about
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-info-2.html

# 29.

When a shop tells you well it may be this or that it just rubs the wrong way.
Me too, there's no diagnosis in guess work. A shop has no business guessing at a problem, they need to inspect and analyze to do it right.

And throwing parts at a problem is just money and time wasted. Also, considering the low quality of aftermarket parts these days you just might be removing a good part for a lesser part.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Transmissions may grind into first or reverse gears, these gears, typically, do not have synchronizers. Your rpms may be too high and/or your fluid could be too low or the wrong type- provided everything in the clutch is releasing. I have seen this same issue reduced by topping off the fluid or changing the fluid or adding Lucas oil treatment. (I am not intending to start commentary on oil treatments.)

Last edited by Dieselamour; 08-01-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: comment on oil treatment
Old 08-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Old 08-03-2015, 08:22 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater

I agree with you

Old 08-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
OK..., OK....!

In the spirit of the thread...., I looked at my truck then decided to use the bed as a watering planter for some seedlings I plan on planting tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Well the old girl is headed back into the shop so they can correct whatever it is they screwed up.

Downside is I have to take the morning off work, and wait here for the tow truck.

I picked up some grease so I can service the ball joints and u-joints, and a new high beam switch to install in hopes that it resolves my headlight problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?