1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Le$$on Learned... for 0BA, 1BA, EAB owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what - You drove it home - Ain't no trailer queen
I'd like to see some 350 go that distance with the same problems

And further more it doesn't take anything away from your Hero status

Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford

Exactly!!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:18 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Amen brother

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Ross, I am really sorry to hear about the problem, thanks for that information on the hardened seats, Guess I'll have that discussion with the builder when my engine goes into the shop next month.
Joe, your engine has the seats, that's what came loose. You just need the one replaced with an O/S one.

I wanted to get the word out to all the guys who have '51 - '52's with original engines. Offhand I can think of at least 4 who have fresh engines, or are in the process. It should be a one-time additional cost. Once the old lead-coated seats are disturbed, they could fail quickly. Depends on use...

Dick, I'm blushing

Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't know why you guys harp on the clutch. It shifts fine, you guys have to realize that with the non-synchronized tranny you just can't pull the thing out of gear and get it back in again like you can with the synchronized transmission. I never have trouble shifting between gears as long as I double clutch it. When I come to a stop I have to wait until I'm at a full stop and then I can move to 2nd and take off.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it's always worked from day one when I installed the new clutch, that was over 30 years ago but it pretty much sat in storage until about 20 years ago.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tinman52

I try to run no corn gas, but that's not always possible. I also use an upper cylinder lube in every tankful. Hopefully that has helped.....
I asked some experts (automotive engineers who actually design engines) and their unanimous response is that any unleaded gas requires hardened seats. Gasohol not so much a direct issue. There are apparently some lead substitutes ($20/qt) that contain actual lead, not the snake oil stuff, that "may" help. I'm just biting the bullet.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford

Not to take a thing away from Ross's perseverance, sticktoitness in driving the truck to TS13 or getting the truck home or to downplay his hero status but:

Fortunately or unfortunately, slightly more modern engines with hydraulic lifters would have kept on running much longer, even with soft seats. The valves may have recessed into the heads but the lifters would have compensated for the wear.

I've seen engines with soft seats run hard on propane and the valves were beat down into the heads, way below the normal seat area.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
So does 'Lead Substitute' in a 12 oz. bottle help prevent this situation?

I'm curious because soon I'll have my 226 on the road (valves are original) and was planning on using the goop to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Tom

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Ross, that's too bad.
Are you installing hard seats in just the exhaust or intake as well?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by pineconeford
So does 'Lead Substitute' in a 12 oz. bottle help prevent this situation?

I'm curious because soon I'll have my 226 on the road (valves are original) and was planning on using the goop to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Tom
Personally, I think none of the stuff does any good, other than valve stem lubrication. I would assume your engine already has hard seats? Can someone confirm what the 6's had?

Originally Posted by jmadsen
Ross, that's too bad.
Are you installing hard seats in just the exhaust or intake as well?
I'm doing both, even tho the intakes were in good shape. Ford did both prior to '51, and the cost and inconvenience now is not that much. My machinist gets seats for about $3 each (intake and exhaust are identical), and he's estimating 4 - 5 hours machine work, plus grinding the new seats about $60.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I don't know why you guys harp on the clutch. It shifts fine, you guys have to realize that with the non-synchronized tranny you just can't pull the thing out of gear and get it back in again like you can with the synchronized transmission. I never have trouble shifting between gears as long as I double clutch it. When I come to a stop I have to wait until I'm at a full stop and then I can move to 2nd and take off.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it's always worked from day one when I installed the new clutch, that was over 30 years ago but it pretty much sat in storage until about 20 years ago.
No matter how hard I tried to push the clutch pedal through the firewall that day with the truck sitting still at complete idle, I could not get the clutch engaged enough to get it into gear. It just kept grinding and grinding no matter what I tried or which gear I chose. Then you finally walked over, reached through the window, and slammed it into gear. Is that the norm for that transmission? We're not just razzing you over it. We care man......

Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Ross,

By the Way, I love your new icon! It really sums up your cross country trip, doesn't it?

How did you do it or get it?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by abe
Ross,

By the Way, I love your new icon! It really sums up your cross country trip, doesn't it?

Bob made it. I told him that I wanted something showing his truck leaving the desert and entering the green mountains.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Ross,

It part of the Truckstock '13 logo/drawing:

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well doc/all I had the 226 with original non-synchro.. first thing I did was adjust the clutch (3/4 in freeplay on pedal travel before you feel the pressure of the throwout bearing - perfect adjustment)... it behaved llike bob says. only 2 gears possible once you get out of rythm, 1st and R - and both those are only possible from a DEAD stop. just like a semi in my experience. you learn the feel and find the synch by feel. and yes doc, even at a dead stop you kinda have to "be sure" of 1st not timid about it.

Quick Reply: Le$$on Learned... for 0BA, 1BA, EAB owners