1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The Mule was totaled today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Oh and in regards to the repairing hail damage. Im not sure if our trucks are old enough to have the thicker steel, but on Fast and Loud they talk about older cars having thicker steel and you could run a torch around the dented area and it will 'pop' out.

Ive seen people have success with newer cars using a heat gun and compressed air.

I have heard tell of people doing the same thing with dry ice. Might be worth a shot...

Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I have heard tell of people doing the same thing with dry ice. Might be worth a shot...
The bad thing about dry ice I've heard is after you remove the dent with it, if you take it out in the hot sun, the dent will come back. Don't know any of this to be fact, just what I heard.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
There are paintless dent repair kits used for repairing hail damage. I'd check into that. If they don't total the truck, there will NOT be a blemish on the title, it will just show up on a Carfax and such as being hail damaged.
Yeah and that's no big deal if hail damage is on the Carfax. I'll check into that paintless dent repair kit next summer when I'm back there. Arrived at home a few hours ago safe and sound. Total miles was 9,500 and the only thing that when wrong was the shifter, a fuel leak and my trans dip stick was leaking. Not bad for the Mare's first big trip, LOL Thanks again for the shifter and those fine instructions on putting it in!!

Oh and in regards to the repairing hail damage. Im not sure if our trucks are old enough to have the thicker steel, but on Fast and Loud they talk about older cars having thicker steel and you could run a torch around the dented area and it will 'pop' out.

Ive seen people have success with newer cars using a heat gun and compressed air.
Won't the torch or heat gun wreak the paint? How is the compressed air used?

Originally Posted by madpogue
Depends on the state. "Totaled" does NOT necessarily equal "scrapped" or "salvaged" or "rebuilt". "Totaled" only means the damage is more than a certain percentage of the value of the vehicle; IOW, it's strictly a _monetary_ term. It has nothing to do with the _safety_ of the vehicle. I totaled an Omni many years ago in MI, got the settlement, got it fixed, and the title never changed hands. Did the same thing with my Saturn here in WI. Yes, there's a collision on the vehicle's history that would show up on Carfax, but it's not a junk, scrap, rebuilt or salvage title. The status of the title, in the eyes of the state that issued it, is exactly the same.
I should check with SD on how they treat the title.

Originally Posted by martin72
Sorry to here about the Mule glad it was not the Mare. Hope every thing work out for you.
Thanks, I squeezed the Mare half into a shed, the big butt didn't let me get it all the way in, LOL It did get one hit on the new tool box of mine and he said they would replace it, $400. A couple other dents that were on it when I bought it he marked down . I haven't heard back yet what they are going to do with the Mare and the Beetle. I'll have to say this, the adjuster was very thorough, I was impressed. He was finding things that I didn't see. Of course, I had the vehicles washed before he came what really helps see the dents.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Glenn, I think I'd just take the check and walk away. jmo
Your jmo is a very good one Darin, Let me see, what mods can I do now, LOL

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I also have heard that but don't know the results.

Originally Posted by ReBilld
The bad thing about dry ice I've heard is after you remove the dent with it, if you take it out in the hot sun, the dent will come back. Don't know any of this to be fact, just what I heard.
That would be a bummer! The way I heard it is to leave it in the hot sun for awhile then put the dry ice on it.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iv heard of parking it in the sun on a 100+ degree day and putting ice on it. Havent tried it so cant say for sure!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Well heres the heat gun dealio i spoke of.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y9OGa9vB42Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for the old torch method. Like i said it was used on older vehicles because of the use of thicker steels for body... thats why this heat gun thing is for new vehicles... to avoid damage.

And its kind of hard for me to describe, but you keep the torch very far from the surface(like to the point where the end of the torch you can see is barely near the surface) and move it quite rapidly. From what ive seen it doesnt damage the paint at all.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Thanks Alex, that's pretty cool, or hot??

Old 09-29-2013, 05:12 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
There are a lot of different ways to attempt to do the hail damage repairs. I did a search on u tube a few weeks ago, here is a link to one of them I found

Old 09-29-2013, 05:14 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Well heres the heat gun dealio i spoke of.
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y9OGa9vB42Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

As for the old torch method. Like i said it was used on older vehicles because of the use of thicker steels for body... thats why this heat gun thing is for new vehicles... to avoid damage.

And its kind of hard for me to describe, but you keep the torch very far from the surface(like to the point where the end of the torch you can see is barely near the surface) and move it quite rapidly. From what ive seen it doesnt damage the paint at all.
I tried this on a couple of dents on my hood after seeing the method on Fast N Loud. The paint was not hurt one bit and the dent popped out, but after 15 minutes or so, popped right back in! Who knows? I just decided not to worry about it. The truck is 15 years old after all.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

That's pretty interesting Rich!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I tried this on a couple of dents on my hood after seeing the method on Fast N Loud. The paint was not hurt one bit and the dent popped out, but after 15 minutes or so, popped right back in! Who knows? I just decided not to worry about it. The truck is 15 years old after all.
After it pops out, you need to hit (not too hard) the surrounding metal to take the stress out of it so it keeps the new shape. Some lead shot in a few thick socks works well. It's called peening the metal.