1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

When to replace shock absorbers on 2003 Exp?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
ltng7679
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to replace shock absorbers on 2003 Exp?

I just got a "new" 2003 Exp with 125 K miles on it. Since i never drove a new one don't have a point of reference as to how known good shocks feel. I was wondering if someone has an Idea based on mileage when the shocks should be replaced. Judging by the looks of the truck, it has had a very easy life - no towing or off roading. Looks like it was driven by some very careful older people on the highway. The shocks look original - do they have markings so I can be sure?

Also if I do need new shocks any suggestions on good ones for replacement?

Thanks
Ed

Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
If you see any evidence of oil leakage from the shocks that's a good indication they need to be replaced. I have about 140k on my '03 and still use the original shocks. No problems and it handles like it always has since new. The bigger problem has been the tie rod ends and the ball joints. Check your ball joints for cracked boots or any knocking. The inner tie rods wore out at about 75k miles and had to be replaced. But the shocks have been fine.

-Mike

Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 PM
alloro
Received 4,176 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Bounce each corner of the vehicle as violently as you can, then stop quickly. If the bouncing stops in 3 bounces or less then the shock at that corner is good.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 AM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Seems like a lot of people replace them around 75k-100k, myself included at 100k. If you have the cash to do it, I'd go ahead and replace them. You should be keeping the truck for a while since you just got, might be nice to start off new ownership with a set of shocks. Otherwise, do the bounce test like alloro suggested and check for leaks to see if they need replacing. A lot of guys swear by Bilsteins, I went with Gabriels because I was able to combine a sale and rebate. Rancho is doing their Shocktober promotion right now, buy 3 get 1 free.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:03 AM
ABolt1
Senior User
Agree with the earlier posts. I replaced the shocks on my '03 Expy at 100K when I also got new tires. The Bilsteins really firmed up the ride on this very softly-sprung vehicle, and gave me much more even tire wear. There are always some deals on Bilsteins - I got free installation with mine, and feel they will last the remaining life of the vehicle...

Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM
cschannuth
Senior User
Shocks don't need to be replaced unless they are leaking. I drive my vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles and have never replaced a shock. That includes my completely stock 74 Gran Torino wagon...

Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 AM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cschannuth
Shocks don't need to be replaced unless they are leaking. I drive my vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles and have never replaced a shock. That includes my completely stock 74 Gran Torino wagon...
I'll disagree. I got a 1986 Chevy Caprice from my grandfather when he died in 1997. It had 160k miles on it. It would bounce and porpoise for a hundred yards after a decent bump in the road. Four new shocks and no more bouncing and porpoising. Shocks wear out, that's the point of the bounce test.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
5.4T
Elder User
you have to replace them if not you'll eventually get uneven tire wear

Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
cschannuth
Senior User
Originally Posted by broncoholic
I'll disagree. I got a 1986 Chevy Caprice from my grandfather when he died in 1997. It had 160k miles on it. It would bounce and porpoise for a hundred yards after a decent bump in the road. Four new shocks and no more bouncing and porpoising. Shocks wear out, that's the point of the bounce test.
The bounce test is valid but if your vehicle fails the bounce test, it's because your shocks are leaking. As I stated, if your shocks don't leak, there is no need to replace them. I guess I've been fortunate to not have any shocks leak.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Just a heads up, shocks don't need to leak to be in need of replacement.
From this thread, BigF350 nailed it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13501518

In my experience there are 2 types of failure on shocks
  1. Complete failure - i.e. when the seals go out/oil leak. This happens very quickly, and is typically caused by pitting/rust/other surface imperfections on the shock absorber shaft and/or dust/debris getting underneath the seals or seal deterioration.
  2. Gradual deterioration - over the life of the shock the oil gradually aerates under heat, making the fluid a lot less viscous and reducing performance - not really "linear" failure, but far more gradual than option 1. Mono-tube shocks separate the gas and the oil in the shock, so they make the shock last longer by avoiding this aeration effect. Overtime the oil will still fail - and unless you have servicable shocks, where you can replace the oil/seals they will need replacing.
And the info on Shocktober:

Rancho Suspension: RANCHO® ?SHOCKTOBER®? BUY 4 FOR THE PRICE OF 3! PROMOTION

Old 09-26-2013, 10:31 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ltng7679
I just got a "new" 2003 Exp with 125 K miles on it. Since i never drove a new one don't have a point of reference as to how known good shocks feel. I was wondering if someone has an Idea based on mileage when the shocks should be replaced. Judging by the looks of the truck, it has had a very easy life - no towing or off roading. Looks like it was driven by some very careful older people on the highway. The shocks look original - do they have markings so I can be sure?

Also if I do need new shocks any suggestions on good ones for replacement?

Thanks
Ed
I noticed that my truck was in need of new shocks by the way it the body rolled all over the place when hitting bumps/varying pavement at slow speeds. Plus, it felt like it was taking a beating. I simply crawled under the truck and unbolted one rear shock. It collapsed on itself and didn't even rebound! A complete failure at 140k and way, way overdue. Anyhow, I replaced with KYB shocks that were also rated for a F250/350. Rides pretty darn good now.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:47 AM
alloro
Received 4,176 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Shocks don't need to be replaced unless they are leaking.
I have to disagree with you on that. Shock are a mechanical moving part, and being such they do wear out at some point. There are many moving parts inside of a shock that most never see. All of these parts have a finite lifespan.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:14 PM
ltng7679
Junior User
I'm a little confused now. Looked under my truck and what I see looks like struts, not shocks within a coil spring. The spring looks attached to the piston.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ltng7679
I'm a little confused now. Looked under my truck and what I see looks like struts, not shocks within a coil spring. The spring looks attached to the piston.
Probably are struts. What year, by chance?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 AM
ltng7679
Junior User
More questions

It's a 2003. Do struts last longer than shocks or am I at end of life at 125 K.

No leaks seen. They have a ford label so they may be original.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When to replace shock absorbers on 2003 Exp?