1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT (sorta) New Movie

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 AM
wallster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT (sorta) New Movie

Every time I turn around the truck rebuild is costing me another $100. or more. I really don't mind, she's worth it, but the Mrs. is taking a "less than understanding" outlook on this project.
I sent her this "new movie" remake poster for a giggle. I bet a few of you can relate.

Wall

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM
ulev1st
Senior User
Oh yeah! I can understand completely!

Old 09-24-2013, 01:44 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Dude that is a MUST HAVE poster!

Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Wally,
I spent so much the first (2) years my wife still hammers me on it
3 years later just for fun... I feel like I'm back in school where the Asst. Principal gives you that choice between 3 hours of detention or (3) licks with the paddle with the holes drilled in it. Ahhhh.... what fun..

I hear you Wally - It's a painful hobby.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
That is awesome and sooooooo relevant to me. My 'legal tender taker' is also a RED '51.

Thumbs up for that!

Tom

Old 09-24-2013, 04:44 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't smoke , drink or do drugs , Case closed .That is what my little woman hears and I am here most all the time .

Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Come on guys, be honest, according to all the reality shows like "Fast and Loud", "Counting Cars" and the auctions shows all you have to do is buy a rusty hulk for $2000, through a $1500 crate engine in it and hose on some clear coat and within a week you can sell it to a well educated car collector for $45K. It looks so easy on the TV shows.

I recently bought an 1937 Buick that is just above a parts car, not running and very rusty. I did a stupid thing and bought it without a title but was able to track down a previous owner with access to the legit title. She had legal rights to the car since her name was still in DOT records as the legal owner even though she sold the care 20+ years ago. Anyways, she tried to finagle a few more bucks out of me saying she's seen cars like this restored on the internet in the $25-30K range. I agreed with her but told her to make this a $25K car I'd have to stick $25K into it, not including my labor. These people see the TV shows and thing every vehicle built 20+ years ago is worth a fortune.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Love the poster! All this crazy hobby takes is a little time and money!

Bob, you must have watched Fast 'n Loud last night. They bought a 55 Ford Mainline off one of their shop monkeys for $2500 then did the paint, interior and tires/wheels and by the end of the show sold it to Mark Cuban for $45k. To me the show is entertaining but it does distort a lot of peoples reality about the value of antique vehicles and how long it takes to truly restore one on a budget.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i tell my wife if i joined a golf country club, it would cost me thousands to chase the ball around and at the end of the season all i'd have is a pile of scorecards. if i had a boat, i'd have docking fees maintenance bills, etc. and then pay to store it in the winter. we work on the trucks and then drive them for recreation or project work. the trucks also have some resale value. case closed.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Yeah, I saw that episode last week. The thing that gets me about the numb nuts that buy these relics is supposedly they're all car fanatics who supposedly collect and know all about classic cars. They all come with a wad a cash in their pockets which to me means they are well off and most well off people aren't stupid, it takes brains to become rich. I've never seen any of these shows do a frame off restoration but they still get frame off restoration prices for their buckets. Every single "restored" car these shows do they do it on the cheap, cutting corners on every aspect of the build with unobtainable time tables. Boyd Coddington's guys used to cobble weld together their wrecks and then send them over to their body shop where they would literally slather lathers of bondo on top of them. Heck, a few episodes ago Fast and Loud mixed bondo right on the hood of a Bronco and troweled it all over the truck. Some goofy nightclub owner came buy with a pair of scantly clad waitresses and bought the truck for goofy money. The funny thing is that there are numerous posts on FTE and other forums about what previous owners have done to their vehicles and most of the crappy repairs look like the stuff they do on the car shows. Then our wives, friends and other relative see this shows and can't understand why it takes up years to restore our cars and trucks. They all tell us they saw a show the other night where they had a car in the same condition and it was done in a week and flipped for big money. When I was working on my F-2 my wife would come out to the garage and see me block sanding the truck and ask, "Does this mean it's ready to paint?". I'd then tell here I'm going to spray another coat of primer over it. "Then will it be ready?". No, then I have to block it out again and maybe another time or two. I think I at least four coats of primer on it and blocked out every single coat. Also, I'll buy a parts truck, which I've bought 15 at last count, and every time she thinks I am blowing money. She has finally realized that if I didn't buy parts trucks, save the parts I need and sell the rest my truck hobby would be out of my reach. People not in the hobby don't really understand it.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by firstrider
I don't smoke , drink or do drugs , Case closed .That is what my little woman hears and I am here most all the time .
Same here, I pass a bar on the way home every night with the same cars almost every night. What those guys spend on booze and cigarettes in one month I spend on my trucks and cars on average maybe every six months and at the end I have my vehicles, their money literally goes up in smoke and down the drain.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wallster
Every time I turn around the truck rebuild is costing me another $100. or more. I really don't mind, she's worth it, but the Mrs. is taking a "less than understanding" outlook on this project.
I sent her this "new movie" remake poster for a giggle. I bet a few of you can relate.

Wall
I like the way you superimposed the actors on the 51 or 52 F1 instead of the house in the original. Looks like it's a real poster.

Did the wife like the poster?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Thats cool, thanks for posting it.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:35 AM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Come on guys, be honest, according to all the reality shows like "Fast and Loud", "Counting Cars" and the auctions shows all you have to do is buy a rusty hulk for $2000, through a $1500 crate engine in it and hose on some clear coat and within a week you can sell it to a well educated car collector for $45K. It looks so easy on the TV shows
Yeah, reality shows have nothing to do with reality!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It´s expensive but however a quite good investment but best of all my wife really like the smile on my face when I come in from the garage all dirty, she never complains just happy that I am happy, however the only thing she is worried about is me getting pined (stuck) under a falling truck late at night and she´s a sleep. She want me to install som kind of alarm. I figure the cell phone is good enough.

Quick Reply: OT (sorta) New Movie