1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to replace pinion bearings and carrier/side bearings in 10.5 inch rear differential

Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lex2002
I noticed that the speedometer needle which used to jump around like crazy above 55 mph stopped doing so.

Could it be because the speed sensor was covered in gack (which I cleaned up) and wasnt getting a proper signal???
...yes....

Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
way to go, Lex... Told you, you needed a cheater bar and that, that impact wasnt enough. Didnt read "all" the threads ,but did you go with the crush sleeve or the sleeve eliminator kit? Mt axles' still sit'n against the boat, wait'n on eliminator kit to be installed..lol

Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I solved the growling issue on deceleration / coasting.

After work I got under the truck and noticed the yoke end was way way too loose which means the preload on the pinion bearings was not sufficient. So I raised the rear wheels (so annoying), popped the axle shafts and rechecked pinion bearing preload. It was too low...maybe 10-12 inch pounds. I guess running the truck last night shifted something around...who knows.

So I tried hitting it with the impact repeatedly but I couldn't get it past 20 inch pounds. I wanted to hit the max of 29 inch pounds. So I got a breaker bar plus a 3 foot pipe for extra torque to tighten down the pinion nut further AND a large pipe wrench to put on the square part of the end yoke as a counter force to the breaker bar.

I rested the end of the pipe wrench on section of wood because I couldn't resist the force of the long breaker bar with the short pipe wrench. I compressed the pinion crush washer until I hit 29 inch pounds.

Of course this means I have pulled the pinion gear away from the ring gear and now my backlash has shifted, but I don't think I will measure the change for now.

I drove it and got no growling. I went up to 45 MPH this time. I hear some minor whine from the gears but I was told the gears are louder for the first few hundred miles.

Lets see what happens...
Sometimes the best tool in the garage is the big piece of cheater pipe, I use them often. This is a great information thread and if I every find myself in your shoes (lordy I hope not) it is going to be my first re-read.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I hope this thread helps someone out.

I only have 70 or so miles on the diff so far. The last owner put the cheapest tires possible on the front and they make a lot of noise, so its hard for me to be sure if its all holding together as it should and what noises are what.

Plus the spun bearings were making such an incredible racket for so long that I have no reference for what the truck should sound like.

I'll pop the cover in a a couple hundred miles and see if the glue worked.

Ill keep yall posted.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Woooo hooo, I am a ninja editing baddass!!

It's done, Lex!

Stewart

Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Woooo hooo, I am a ninja editing baddass!!

It's done, Lex!

Stewart
Many thanks to Stewart for inserting the newly revised post (7 posts now) and reformatting everything.

I rewrote it all so it would read more like instructions and less like a work in progress.

I will edit the section on preloading the pinion bearing as well soon as well and include some additional photos.

Thanks Stewart. I really appreciate your support.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
No worries! You did an excellent job with the pictures and write-up. Glad I could help.

Stewart

Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates?

Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Krochus
Any updates?
Yes there are updates actually. I need to find the time to post pics....

Old 12-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes there are updates actually. I need to find the time to post pics....

That doesn't sound good :-0

Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Krochus
That doesn't sound good :-0
You got it...it wasn't good.

Honestly, I'm not sure what went wrong because I don't have the experience to say for sure. I of course have a few theories. After about 200 miles one or more of the bearings started howling like a banshee. Why? I don't know. I suspect that preload on the carrier bearings was too high, but since there is no way to measure it, I cant say for sure. In order to get a good contact pattern I used the exact same thickness shims as was found on the gear set originally. This really makes no sense because the shims had spun around behind the races enough to cut grooves into the housing, which means I should have needed THICKER shims to make up the difference. Could it be that the installer didn't press the new bearings in far enough? I don't know. I wish I did.

I can tell you this....after a few hundred miles the bearing adhesive was still holding just fine. In fact it was tough to get the glued-in carrier bearing races out of the housing...that's how strong the glue bonded.

Another theory could be that the centerline of the diff wasn't 100% perpendicular to the pinion anymore....because of the wear in the case. Or perhaps I didn't get the preload correct on the pinion gears after all? Maybe the inexpensive beam-style torque wrench was inadequate?

I don't know and frankly it kills me. I wish I had someone to give me some guidance. If only to learn from my mistakes. This entire thread started out with me asking for help as opposed to posting instructions on how to do the swap. Of course my circumstances were not standard because my axle had spun the carrier bearings.

So....I gave up on the axle all together. I just couldn't justify spending any more time on this....

But the fun doesn't end there.

The two independent junker-guys I know who sell axles for $350 (with no warranty whatsoever) didn't have what I needed despite 3 months of repeated calls from me to them in the hope that some new inventory would come in. No LSD units available.

So, I ended up buying a used axle, as per the advice of some on this forum, from a large local junk yard for $800 with a 30 day warranty (going rate in this area from junk yards is $700-950+). I popped the cover on the used axle, checked the gears, tested for play in the ring gear....it checked out at 15 thousands across a bunch of teeth (this is the MAX allowed) and even though the axle looked like it had been sitting for eons (it had green algae on the damn outside of it) I installed it with my original parking brake shoes (what a PIA in the a$$ those drum brake springs are). Within 2 miles it was screaming like crazy and the pinion oil seal was leaking. I popped the oil seal and it was slathered with copper gasket maker...apparently it had given the last owner some trouble as well. BAD SIGN. Overheated case? Spun pinion bearing races? I wasn't interested in finding out. I took it out and returned it.

At this point I couldn't risk any more wasted time so I bought a completely remanufactured axle and installed it.

There's only so many times a man can pull and install axles in his driveway before he starts talking to himself in public places...

Drama over, wallet empty, truck has a good-as-new rear axle with a 3-year, unlimited-mile warranty. Even came with new parking-brake shoes installed.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Rear axle and u joint temperatures

So I used a laser temperature sensor on the remaned axle today (20F) and got the following temps after a 28 miles highway drive.

-Axle housing right at most forward pinion bearing: 90F
-Bottom of Axle housing sorta behind and below the drain plug 110F
-U-joint 147F

I was surprised by the temp of the u-joint....

Lex

Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
At this point I couldn't risk any more wasted time so I bought a completely remanufactured axle and installed it.

There's only so many times a man can pull and install axles in his driveway before he starts talking to himself in public places...

Drama over, wallet empty, truck has a good-as-new rear axle with a 3-year, unlimited-mile warranty. Even came with new parking-brake shoes installed.
I'm sorry to hear you had to replace it again (twice). I followed this thread from it's start.....that being said I don't care who you are this part will make you laugh out loud because it's so true! Your neighbors probably think you have lost your freaking mind already.

Still a great valuable thread for FTE'rs to come.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by sammie0126
I'm sorry to hear you had to replace it again (twice). I followed this thread from it's start.....that being said I don't care who you are this part will make you laugh out loud because it's so true! Your neighbors probably think you have lost your freaking mind already.

Still a great valuable thread for FTE'rs to come.

Thanks Sammie.

Well, they already are familiar with my crazy endeavors....the truck being one of many.

I wish that some experts would comment on the instructions I posted. Even though the viability of my original axle was dubious, I think that my instructions are still relevant for someone doing a simple bearing swap.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 PM
hankaye
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lex2002, Howdy;

Just went through the w-h-o-l-e thread. You be da-man.
Even though you were for awhile, you made
it to the finish line. I appreciate your stick-to-it attitude.
I've got a open rear in my truck (04 F250, 6.0L, SC, 4X4),

It's my plan to "up grade" to a Detroit Locker for mine so
that I can maintain traction when I get to the gravel Forest
roads here in SW N.M.. What you have shown is what I have
been looking for.
Much thanks for the time and energy you applied to make this post.
Truly , much appreciated.

hank

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace pinion bearings and carrier/side bearings in 10.5 inch rear differential