Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Great to see this Steve, hopefully he gets a flush of visitors this summer.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

I do recall BillP predicting this.

[url=http://www.sbsun.com/environment-and-nature/20150318/hinkley-continues-to-shrink-desert-town-set-to-lose-onl

By Jim Steinberg, The Sun
POSTED: 03/18/15, 6:26 PM PDT | 2 COMMENTS

Ali Abu Hantash, owner of Hinkley Market & Gas, sits and waits for customers to enter his general store in Hinkley on March 7, 2013. Rachel Luna — Staff Photographer, File
HINKLEY >> The Post Office here plus the only gas station and convenience mart will be closing soon in this small High Desert community that is the site of the world’s largest chromium-6 plume.

Business at the small store — the Hinkley Market — had collapsed after the nearby Hinkley Elementary School closed in June 2013, its owner said.

“It’s another blow to the community,” said Lester White, a longtime community advocate, of the loss of the town’s only storefront.

Hinkley’s population has been dwindling for years as the community has struggled with concerns over the cancer-causing chromium-6 in residents’ well water.

Although postal officials say they will be looking for a new location, the Post Office, which has been at the same location since 1958, will close Friday.

The number of street deliveries letter carriers make here has dwindled by nearly 38 percent, from 504 in 2012 to 321 in 2015, said Eva M. Jackson, a U.S. Postal Service spokeswoman.

Rented boxes have dropped 76 percent, from 321 to 75, during the same period, Jackson said.

From 1952 until 1964, San Francisco-based Pacific Gas & Electric Co. discharged untreated chromium-6 into unlined ponds adjacent to its Hinkley natural gas compressor station, a practice common at the time.

From there it migrated into the groundwater to form a plume state water regulators say is two miles wide and eight miles long.

Hinkley’s pollution issues were highlighted in the year 2000 hit movie, “Erin Brockovich”, staring Julia Roberts.

“There are a number of disadvantaged community members here who depend on store credit to buy food,” White said.

Store credit to buy food or household essentials was vital to some who were short on funds, he said.

It is also the only place in town where people can buy fuel to make the 10-mile drive to Barstow, White said.

Most people in town have vehicles and don’t shop in the Hinkley market, said Mickey Parker, pastor of Hinkley Bible Church.

They go to the large grocery store chains in Barstow, he said.

But for Rochella Sigworth, 19, who doesn’t have a vehicle, said “this market is better than riding into town (Barstow) on Dial-A-Ride.”

The store is less than a 15-minute walk from her home.

The land parcel containing the gas station, market and Post Office is owned by Barstow resident Tawfig A. Musitef, who could not be reached for comment.

PG&E spokesman Jeff Smith confirmed that the company is in negotiations to buy the real estate which contains both Musitef and Ali Abu Hantosh, who owns the Hinkley Market.

“Not all the ‘i’s have been dotted and the ‘t’s crossed,” but we are working toward a sale,” Smith said.

Hantash said he has been struggling for years.

But the situation became more dire after the Hinkley Elementary School, which opened in 1902, closed nearly two years ago.

“We have lost 60 to 80 percent of our business,” said Hantash, whose business is about a mile south of the school.

The Hinkley school closed in part due to dwindling student enrollment.

The market and gas station will close at the end of April, Hantash said.

“It’s sad the way it has been for years. Really sad,” he said.

Although the Post Office in Hinkley closes Friday, mail delivery will continue, although the Barstow station will be managing that, Jackson said.

Stand-alone centralized units will be installed at another location for the customers who currently have Post Office Boxes in Hinkley, she said.

Smith said PG&E, which is Hinkley’s largest landholder, will offer assistance in that relocation effort.

PG&E has been buying residential properties in Hinkley for decades as people seek to relocate.

Noting that the decision to sell the market has “wide implications” for residents, “PG&E remains committed to working on other Hinkley initiatives,” Smith said.

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Makes sense. Can't stay in business when you lose 60-80% of your customers. I am surprised it has taken this long. I don't understand why those residents who have stayed haven't moved out yet. Between a rock and a hard place I guess. Can't afford to move, but can't afford to stay either.

Jim

Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Who was the wit among the attendees that proclaimed at the FTE banner signing ceremony that the event was to be known as "Hexavalent Chromium Days"?

Consider, for a moment, what a re-dedicated Chamber could do with that to bolster an annual resurgence in their economy!

Hinkley Rides Again! Yee-Haw!

Pop

Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

https://www.desertusa.com/desert-peo...ree-ranch.html

Fun article about Elmer. The guy still has wit. “It’s a crazy world, and it’s mine,”

“And you don’t have to water bottle trees,” he added with a grin.

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2020, 05:33 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
It's been over 7 years since we did this trip to Hinkley. The photos remind me how much we miss our Bocephus. And how much we miss Steve.

I rode out there yesterday. The town continues to dwindle. The gas station and market is gone. The other store in town is closed and has a for sale sign out front. The school is still there, and looking fairly well. I think they might use it for an occasional meeting in town. Doubtful there are any children living there. I recall seeing many more houses boarded up, and more fences where houses had once stood. I think PG&E continues to bull-doze and remove fences from the empty lots. The desert is taking back its ground.

This is the most recent online report I could find about the town.
https://grist.org/science/the-true-s...in-brockovich/

And if the mood strikes you, come along on the ride with me.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:07 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Looked like a beautiful day Bill, thanks for bringing us along. I remember stopping at the bottle farm and enjoying the eccentric art.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:11 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Seems like ages ago.

Jim

Old 02-02-2023, 04:05 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, I guess if we need to burn sewage sludge and green waste, 8 miles from Hinkley is the place to do it.

…it states the facility is 8 miles downwind, shouldn’t it be 8 miles upwind?

https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/n...re/7654220001/

Old 02-02-2023, 05:32 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Twenty-four violations in two years... And nothing is done about it. Unreal.

Jim