"Fair Season" get togethers!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Fair Season" get togethers!!

Guys and Gals,

Was thinking since it is "fair season" this might be a great way to promote some get togethers!!

It does not need to be "official" but if you are heading out to a local fair, post up where and when and other FTE'ers can meet up.

I know Medina is this week, Lake County is 13-18th, Geauga County is shortly after that (Labor Day weekend, I believe)!! I will be spending some time up at the Lake County Fair but will try to get to Geauga County at least once. That is one of my favorites and feels much more like an old time fair!!

These fairs usually have Truck pulls, Tractor pulls, Demo derby, maybe a stunt show, and much more. We've all seen the lawn mower demo derby, right???

With that selection of motorsport events I would think many of us will be hitting our respective local fair at least once. Try to organize an impromptu meet-and-greet. I may try to get all the FTE guys to park in a specific area for Lake Country fair...

Post up in this thread. Where you'll be and when. As we get closer I will post-up for Lake County Fair!!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Here is a list of fairs in Ohio!! I know this Chapter isn't big on get togethers, we all lead pretty busy lives. But, hey, if you're gonna be there anyway...

Ohio Fair Managers

Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Hey Randy. This sounds like a great idea, I hope it works out well. Me and my family always go to the Geauga County fair, every year. Not sure exactly when but should know more once it gets closer. I could probably go both weeknights definitely. Not sure about the weekend though since we normally go camping. But hopefully I should have my truck by then, so I might be able to make it on the weekend if that's the day we pick. Not sure exactly what I'm getting yet, but we'll see. Would really like to go to some of the events at the fair, since I've always wanted to but never have. I could probably make it to some of the other ones in the area too, if we decide too. Really hope this works out, should be a good time.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Jon,

The demo derby at Geauga is actually pretty good!! We generally go fourwheeling but we decided to postpone that trip so we will be home for the first Labor Day weekend in awhile! We are already planning a cookout for friends and family on one of the weekend days and may hit the airshow as well.

Don't know if you are much into horses but there are some great horse shows at Lake and Geauga. I will likely be at Lake on Thursday (15th???) for my wife and daughter's shows and may catch some of the motocross...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We went to Randolph truck pulls last summer, good times! Haven't been to anything this year.

The demo derbys are kinda falling apart with the lack of "big cars" anymore. The heats don't last very long anymore. Not like 20 yrs ago. I've seen a lawn mower demonstation a year ago. The big thing(pun intended) is being a really BIG guy on a little tractor. The two running were over 350# easy. All the free traction you can get on a lawn mower.

I did get to pull the old B model a month ago. It was just a "fun" thing, but had a blast:

Didn't want to abuse it too much, but I could see a whole nuther money pit hobby coming from it....

Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
The cabover in that top photo looks like the truck from BJ and the Bear!!!

Originally Posted by Freightrain
We went to Randolph truck pulls last summer, good times! Haven't been to anything this year.

The demo derbys are kinda falling apart with the lack of "big cars" anymore. The heats don't last very long anymore. Not like 20 yrs ago. I've seen a lawn mower demonstation a year ago. The big thing(pun intended) is being a really BIG guy on a little tractor. The two running were over 350# easy. All the free traction you can get on a lawn mower.

I did get to pull the old B model a month ago. It was just a "fun" thing, but had a blast:

Didn't want to abuse it too much, but I could see a whole nuther money pit hobby coming from it....

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 AM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RUNVS
Jon,

The demo derby at Geauga is actually pretty good!! We generally go fourwheeling but we decided to postpone that trip so we will be home for the first Labor Day weekend in awhile! We are already planning a cookout for friends and family on one of the weekend days and may hit the airshow as well.

Don't know if you are much into horses but there are some great horse shows at Lake and Geauga. I will likely be at Lake on Thursday (15th???) for my wife and daughter's shows and may catch some of the motocross...
Good I was hoping it was. We've always stood behind the fences and watched a little bit, but never actually bought tickets, I've always wanted to though. Yeah like I said we normally go camping on Labor Day weekend, but I'm not for sure if we are or not this year, we'll see. That sounds like it should be good, have fun with the cookout.

No I'm not that much into horses, but I have stood and watched parts of some, and they looked pretty interesting, wouldn't mind watching a few. I'm not sure, I've never been to Lake's before, we'll see.

Freightrain, that looked like a lot of fun, wouldn't mind going to those either.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Randy, ya it was the same basic model/paint scheme.

I know of the fellow that DOES own one of the original BJ trucks. He also owns one of the Movin On Kenworths too. He is an ATHS member.

The Movin On truck was for sale out in the midwest about 5 yrs ago? Priced reasonable, but I had no way to get it(or place to put it)

Paul Sagehorn

Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
oh, now THAT is cool!!!! He needs to by the Duck's truck from Convoy now!!!

Originally Posted by Freightrain
Randy, ya it was the same basic model/paint scheme.

I know of the fellow that DOES own one of the original BJ trucks. He also owns one of the Movin On Kenworths too. He is an ATHS member.

The Movin On truck was for sale out in the midwest about 5 yrs ago? Priced reasonable, but I had no way to get it(or place to put it)

Paul Sagehorn

Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Paul those are two really sweet looking semi's right there. I really like that cabover one. I usually hate ones like that, but yours looks really cool, I like it.

So are we meeting up at any of the fairs or not? Doesn't seem like many people are interested though. Me and a few of my buddies were talking about maybe going to the truck pulls at the Geauga fair on Sunday...

Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Actually the remaining Rubber Duck Mack is owned by Dan Bruno in St. Louis.
Homepage of the New Convoy Rubber Duck Truck Website

Another ATHS member. He also owned the "Duel" Peterbilt, but sold it to a Brad Wike in VA?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been watching American Trucker Its on Velocity.They showed the S Pruit and Bj truck are owned by the same guy he also has Christeen look alike.They showed the dual truck also and the Evil knievel K.W. And the smokey and the bandit tribute truck that Jerry Reed drove.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Got my pass for the Lake County Fair so I'll be up there a few times this week.
Here is the schedule for this week. Fair admission is $8/person, Lake County Fairgrounds in Painesville.

Tuesday: Parade @ 6pm, 7pm is Truck Pulls!!! FREE!
Wednesday: Tractor Pulls 7pm! $5/grandstands
Thursday: Motocross 7pm Free
Friday: Bike Night!! $6 admission for bikes!
Saturday: Jonah Koslen performs Stage Pass. Clevelanders should know this one!!!
Sunday: Demo derby 7pm $5

Let's try for a GTG tomorrow (Tuesday) for the truck pulls!!! As soon as I can get away from the parade (7ish) I will be in the grandstands front and center. I will sit as close as I can to the center staircase. If I remember, I will have my Ohio Chapter FTE trucker cap!!!

Jon, you are closest, get you and your boys on up here!!!

If that doesn't work, we can do another later this week. I am thinking Wednesday around 5/6pm so if guys then want to go watch Tractor Pulls they can do so! If anyone is coming later in the week let me know!!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Ok Randy, sounds good. I'll see what I can do. Can't guarantee anything since its kind of short notice, but we'll see. Especially since me and my buddies always seem to have trouble doing things on short notice, somebodies always got work or already has plans.

Just reminding you they're all probably going to be around my age or a little older, so there's still going to be that age gap there. It doesn't matter to me, not sure if you'll mind or not, just letting you know. My Dad might come too though. Should still be a good time though. I'll let you know for sure once I figure it all out. Looking like it might work out though, hopefully it does.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 AM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Jon,

Did you make it up to the pulls? It got kinda hectic for us right after the parade!! We were in the pits for awhile, had to go down to the horse barns, so we got to the stands right when the National Anthem started!

Well, this meant I couldn't get the seats I wanted and no one would have known me from anyone else b/c I left my hat back in the bike!!

Anyway, yeah, the age thing wasn't a big deal, I had my kid with me and ran into a few friends who joined us. We were rooting for a friend of ours - even though he drives a Dodge!!

CoolBlueF150 was supposed to be there - his daughter joined us - but his wife was ill so he didn't make it.

Quick Reply: "Fair Season" get togethers!!