Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the truck for an alignment????? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 PM
flkeysff
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the truck for an alignment????? Help!!!

I have a 93 F150 with a rough country 4" lift and I need some advise/help. I took the truck in for an alignment and the shop called me up and said they had it aligned then the whole front end shook and it went way out of alignment. I have looked everything over and can't see anything wrong/loose/broken. I drove it home and it drove pretty good other than a slight pull to the left.

My second problem is when I turn the steering wheel to the left, the left side of the truck raises up. when I turn to the right it stays level. I really need so good advise/help. The alignment shop sent the truck home and told me to figure out what happened fix it and bring it back.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Check the nut to the top ball joint.
When setting camber this nut has to be taken off to get the camber kit out. and turned, or replaced.
Could be that the nut is either loose, or the ball joint is bad.

I wouldn't drive it until I figured it out for fear of the front end coming apart on it's own

What do you mean, they said figure it out and they will fix it?That would bother me for 2 reasons
1. truck was fine before they touched it
2. If they don't know what's wrong with it, and they are a front end shop,They shouldn't be working on it.

Find a new shop that knows Ford front ends.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 PM
flkeysff
Junior User
Thank, I installed new Moog ball joints and adjustable camber/caster bushing when I rebuilt the front end. I followed the guide lines outlined in setting up the bushing and torqued them down to specs. The shop said they aligned it and then it made a loud bang and shook the truck. When they rechecked the alignment it was way off. That is all they told me. I drove the truck 6 miles to get it home and it rode fine as I said just a slight pull to the left. I really don't know where to begin or what to look for. However that being said I will no longer take my vehicles to that shop. This is the third strike for them.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Loud bang probably was from them using an impact gun to tighten the nut on top of the ball joint. Check upper ball joints. Both of them. If they broke one, the other isn't far behind

Ford's don't like impacts on ball joints. blows them out every time

Old 09-19-2013, 06:53 PM
flkeysff
Junior User
Got any ideas on why when I turn the wheel to the left the truck lifts up on the front left? Was doing it before the alignment also. I was thinking that the caster may be off.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:02 PM
MT4x4guy
Senior User
I had a Bronco that this happened to after having the front end rebuilt, it took the shop 3 weeks to figure out what went wrong, come to find out, it actually had something to do with the lower ball joint on the drivers side, when they tightened it down, they broke the lower ball joint and every time I turned it would pull the ball joint shaft out of the housing, then it would drop back down.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Huh?

Originally Posted by flkeysff
Got any ideas on why when I turn the wheel to the left the truck lifts up on the front left? Was doing it before the alignment also. I was thinking that the caster may be off.
That very well could be a camber issue.

I would put it up on jackstands, take the wheels off and go over that front end with a fine tooth comb. Sounds like they broke something with an impact.

I also wouldn't drive it until I found out what they did, even if that included taking the front end back apart. Take pictures to document what you're doing and make them pay for any broken or damaged parts. If they don't pay, report them to the BBB.

Some people have no clue how to use an impact properly. Back in the late '70's/early '80's, mechanics would warp Honda front rotors by using an impact to run down the lugs.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Thank, I installed new Moog ball joints and adjustable camber/caster bushing when I rebuilt the front end. I followed the guide lines outlined in setting up the bushing and torqued them down to specs. The shop said they aligned it and then it made a loud bang and shook the truck. When they rechecked the alignment it was way off. That is all they told me. I drove the truck 6 miles to get it home and it rode fine as I said just a slight pull to the left. I really don't know where to begin or what to look for. However that being said I will no longer take my vehicles to that shop. This is the third strike for them.
To get these twin I beam trucks aligned you need to find a front end mechanic with experience on these trucks. I have run into this myself.
Not every front end place can align these truck correctly. Just because you installed the bushings doesn't mean they are correct. From my experience it takes a mechanic that has experience on these front ends.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM
flkeysff
Junior User
I appreciate all the help. I have less than two weeks before I have to trailer this truck to WV and only 4 days off in which to find the problem. So the more ideas the better. I will double check the lower ball joints, all of them are new, but I guess that really doesn't mean anything. I do not use an impact gun for any installation! Torque wrench is my best friend.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM
flkeysff
Junior User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
To get these twin I beam trucks aligned you need to find a front end mechanic with experience on these trucks. I have run into this myself.
Not every front end place can align these truck correctly. Just because you installed the bushings doesn't mean they are correct. From my experience it takes a mechanic that has experience on these front ends.
I by no means think they are correct, only close. That is what the guys at the alignment shop are suppose to do.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Sounds like the guy broke something, didn't want the blame on him and said you had to find and fix the problem. When you find the issue, fix it yourself or take it to a place that knows these truck, or Ford themselves. Document what was the issue and if it was something the alignment guy might have done, go talk with his superior... That's what I would do.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 AM
flkeysff
Junior User
I have double checked every bolt on the front end can't find anything broke or loose, the only thing I have noticed is one of my upper ball joint leans forward toward the front of the truck and the other lean backwards. On my F450 they both lean back, by that I mean the top of the ball joint where the nut is leans toward the front of the truck and the knuckle is more towards the rear. Does anyone know how they should be?

Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Try jacking up the truck on the axle, and remove the tires. Turn the wheels lock to lock and watch all the ball joints, both sides

Put the tires back on, leave it jacked up.
Set a long pry bar under the tire from the side, and have someone watch the ball joints as you try to lift the tire.

If you see any movement, you have found your problem

Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I by no means think they are correct, only close. That is what the guys at the alignment shop are suppose to do.
That was my whole point. The guy didn't know what he was doing. I have run into this before. Finding a front end guy that knows these front ends is important. I won't let a shop mess with mine unless I can go talk directly with their mechanic. If he or she has no experience with these older Fords then I move on.
What I know is just a small adjustment can change things greatly. I had this happen with my 86 F250 4x4. Schwab Tire in Elko NV installed new ball joints & aligned the front end. I was pulling a trailer back here to Arizona. By the time I got to Pahrump NV I had had it. This truck was all over the road. Way worse than with wore out ball joints.
I knew a guy in Pahrump that knew these Fords & I took it to him. He said they had the setting so screwed up, wrong bushing, etc. After he was done it drove itself to Arizona.
But NOT EVERY front end mechanic can align the Ford Twin I Beam front ends. I'm assuming you have a 4x4 if not disregard.