Sponsored by: Moser

Let's discuss Ford Certified Pre-owned

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Let's discuss Ford Certified Pre-owned

For some stupid reason, the whole Ford certified pre-owned thing has attracted my attention. Looking on Ford's website, a vehicle can be certified as long as it is less than 6 years old and has less than 80K miles on it. CPO warranty gets you 7 years and 100K miles over power train coverage, though Ford's site doesn't give details.

So, in theory, a person could get a 2012 F-150 with say 20K miles on it. Said person could enjoy the remainder of all the factory warranties plus, power train coverage up to 120 miles or 7 years. Am I interpreting this correctly?

This is actually a better deal than buying new.

Discussion?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds about how I would interpret it.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
DLTtoday
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine certified pre owned.
I was not really following what he was saying. He did say it was a better warranty than new though.
Mainly what I heard was if the turbos go out within 7 years I don't have to pay

Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Maybe Crystal will come along and explain it.

The way I read it, you are incorrect.

7yrs/100k from the start of the original warranty.

So a 2012 with 20k would end in 2019 or 80k more miles.

And there is a $100 deductable.

A new truck with a ESP would be a better deal.

It looks like you pick up a 12 month 12k that picks up after the 3/36 or purchase date.

1. Warranty coverage. New-Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage: First, if still in effect, coverage is provided for the remainder of the Ford New-Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty. (See the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty owner’s guide for details.)Second, Ford Certified Pre-Owned Comprehensive Limited Warranty coverage is provided for 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the expiration of the Ford New-Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty or the date of your Certified Pre-Owned vehicle purchase, whichever comes later. Note: The coverage provided by the Ford Certified Pre-Owned Comprehensive Limited Warranty is not as extensive as that provided under the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty.Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage: Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage is provided by the Ford Certified Pre-Owned Powertrain Limited Warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the original Ford New-Vehicle Limited Warranty start date.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
Maybe Crystal will come along and explain it.

The way I read it, you are incorrect.

7yrs/100k from the start of the original warranty.

So a 2012 with 20k would end in 2019 or 80k more miles.

And there is a $100 deductable.

A new truck with a ESP would be a better deal.

It looks like you pick up a 12 month 12k that picks up after the 3/36 or purchase date.

1. Warranty coverage. New-Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage: First, if still in effect, coverage is provided for the remainder of the Ford New-Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty. (See the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty owner’s guide for details.)Second, Ford Certified Pre-Owned Comprehensive Limited Warranty coverage is provided for 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the expiration of the Ford New-Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty or the date of your Certified Pre-Owned vehicle purchase, whichever comes later. Note: The coverage provided by the Ford Certified Pre-Owned Comprehensive Limited Warranty is not as extensive as that provided under the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty.Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage: Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage is provided by the Ford Certified Pre-Owned Powertrain Limited Warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the original Ford New-Vehicle Limited Warranty start date.
OK, so you're saying that the warranty covers you until the vehicle reaches 7 years or 100K total miles?

If that's the case, then you'd be better off negotiating for an ESP on a new purchase.

Hopefully Crystal will see this and drop in.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 AM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
OK, so you're saying that the warranty covers you until the vehicle reaches 7 years or 100K total miles?
I could be wrong, but that is what I read into it.

12/12 from the end of the 3/36 or CPO purchase date, whichever is later.

7/100 with $100 deductible from the original factory warranty start date.

And it does not cover as much as the original warranty.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi everyone,

The Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty for Ford vehicles includes:

- 12-month/12,000-mile Comprehensive Limited Warranty from the time of CPO sale
- 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty Coverage from the original new vehicle warranty start date and zero miles on the odometer

Specific coverage questions should be directed to your local dealership; they'll be in the best position to assist.

Crystal

Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi everyone,

The Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty for Ford vehicles includes:

- 12-month/12,000-mile Comprehensive Limited Warranty from the time of CPO sale
- 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty Coverage from the original new vehicle warranty start date and zero miles on the odometer

Specific coverage questions should be directed to your local dealership; they'll be in the best position to assist.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal. I'm pretty much the car guy at work and I get a ton of questions that I sometimes can find a clear answer to and sometime FTE comes to my rescue.

I have a co-worker looking at a used Ford right now. I'll advise her to purchase new as the CPO doesn't impress me.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I have a co-worker looking at a used Ford right now. I'll advise her to purchase new as the CPO doesn't impress me.
I think that the CPO vehicles can be a really great deal depending on the conditions around the sale. In March, 2012 I bought a CPO 2010 Fusion SEL with 16,000 miles on it for $18,000. In doing so I saved ~$5K compared to buying it new and ended up with more warranty coverage than a new car.

I would take that deal again in a minute if I needed a car. I'm generally not a fan of used cars, but the nice, long warranty brings some great peace of mind to me.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 AM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would you be able to get a ESP plan with a CPO?

i'm looking to maximize my bang for the buck so to speak - i can get "more" used truck for the same price of a new.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by seuadr
would you be able to get a ESP plan with a CPO?

i'm looking to maximize my bang for the buck so to speak - i can get "more" used truck for the same price of a new.
I don't think that I'd spend the money to stack extended service plans. I think the CPO does enough to give peace of mind.

However, in contrast to your post, if one were to purchase new, you can then negotiate to your hearts content or to the extend of your abilities, agree to a solid deal and then add a Ford ESP at the finance table and still drive away with a great deal and the best protection that your money can buy.

Buying used however is a much different game. There's no invoice and therefore, the dealer has no obligation to disclose what he has in the vehicle. One will inherently pay a higher amount over dealers cost for a used vehicle then for a new one. New car dealers keep their used car lots packed full of great looking low mileage used cars as this is where their "sales" money is made.

Late model used trucks and new trucks are running comparatively the same price. When I was shopping my 2011, I was looking at 2009's and newer as well. I didn't want to dip into the 2004-2008 body style as they don't have the six speed and I like the newer bodies better. Everything that I looked at used was running with 10% of what I paid for my new truck out the door. Everyone may not be as lucky but it's a thought to consider.

Sorry for the winded post.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 AM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
tseekins - thanks for the input. it is something to consider. i've been noticing that there are, occasionally, a 8-10k savings to be had on a used truck vs a similarly equipped new truck.

i have 3 choices to make, and i'm doing all the thinking and research i can on each one to make a final decision.

my goals are to have a truck with (ideally) a 400'ish a month payment that can handle my camper payload (i don't tow anything but a utility trailer rated for a max of 5000, and have no plans on a travel trailer or 5'ver. with some nice features (it's gonna replace my current vehicle as a daily, so i want a few creature comforts!) with a little room for future capacity for a little larger slide in (mine is currently 990 pounds dry, i think i could get away with a non shower, non slide out 8 footer at 1400-1500 dry, with a little wiggle room on other cargo as it is just me and the wife and a toddler with an f150 - but it'll require the HD package to make it (hopefully the 2014 will have even more payload!)

since it is a daily driver, i'd like it to ride OK and be something that I WANT to drive daily, which says to me, f150. but if i want future capacity for a truck camper, an f250/350 will obviously have more. but then the payment climbs - so what about used? and the 250/350 won't ride as nice stock, so how nice can they ride, and how much is that going to cost? and on and on and on..

so i'm reading everything i can, and trying to keep in mind that i should purchase a truck for the needs i have in the next 5 years, and worry about what i might want to do about it after that in the future - be it a trade in, a reversal of my stance on TTs or whatever.

anyhow, very long winded way of saying "thank you, the info is useful"

Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
There are many a folk on here who are way more qualified than I that will hopefully chime in and lend you the assistance that you deserve.

As a note of caution, what ever intend to do, purchase a vehicle that will comfortably fit the workload that you anticipate. That way you likely won't break anything, hurt anyone and void those precious warranties.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
There are many a folk on here who are way more qualified than I that will hopefully chime in and lend you the assistance that you deserve.

As a note of caution, what ever intend to do, purchase a vehicle that will comfortably fit the workload that you anticipate. That way you likely won't break anything, hurt anyone and void those precious warranties.
ya. once upon a time, the wet weight of the camper was 1700 lbs, fully loaded with EVERYTHING. fortunately, my wife and i don't feel the need for most of what the previous owners took (grandparents of hers) like a full set of cast iron pans, "real" glasses and plates, upteen number of canned food (3 cabinets full!) left in the camper, 2 BIG (waist high)propane tanks, etc. I am looking to lighten the load significantly in many areas, but i think that an assumed weight in the same area is probably fair since i will be reducing to 1 20 pound tank, going with very limited pots/pans etc. but then again, i might weight it up and find that it is closer to 2000 pounds total and only have 600 pounds of extra payload :shrugs: just don't know.

anyhow, sorry for threadjacking you - lets return to our regularly scheduled discussion!