1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Well, I went and did it....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:02 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, this is worse then the usual hijacks we get around here!
Cool truck though!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:07 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it's not that I really mind, I just want to be sure he gets the updates into his thread. Here is a link to SaltyDog's thread in case anyone else wants to check it out. We do love a good build thread around here (and I have a soft spot for bumpsides since my first car (truck) was one...)

Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Salty Dog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry DIY. I've been trying to use the mobile version on my thread and sometimes when I scroll to the bottom of it and hit post, it will want to post the message on yours. I wont know it happened until I review the post. I promise to look out for it going forward.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Salty Dog
Elder User
Cool power stroke btw! Reminds me of grade school. I love fords

Old 03-10-2017, 01:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Nate loves the attention! lol

Old 03-11-2017, 07:50 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
Sorry DIY. I've been trying to use the mobile version on my thread and sometimes when I scroll to the bottom of it and hit post, it will want to post the message on yours. I wont know it happened until I review the post. I promise to look out for it going forward.
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
Cool power stroke btw! Reminds me of grade school. I love fords
It's not a big deal to me, seriously. I'm kinda glad it happened, so I was able to find your build thread. And thank you, it's come a long way and serves a purpose. It's nice from farm but far from nice. It's no show truck, that's for dang sure!

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Nate loves the attention! lol
Yeah, you know me.... just your average every day attention wh***...

Old 10-20-2017, 10:53 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Well, fellas, I guess it's time I let the cat out of the bag. Changes are underway for the "Big Dog". I sent my injectors to Jim early this week and ordered a Hydra and custom tunes. Stage 1s are the plan, along with a hand-me-down 17* HPOP. I'm also looking at a Riffraff billet wheel and straight pipe exhaust and EBPV delete.

I'm curious about you guys' take on the riffraff billet wheel versus the traditional WW or WW2.

I'm also curious whether you guys would be interested enough in seeing the step by step changes with rounds of testing in between. Something along the lines of, same trailer, same route, going from stock to straight exhaust, then adding the turbo wheel and eliminating the EBPV, then adding the stage 1s and Hydra, and running the same load over the same route with every change.

Sounds like a little more work to do it this way, but if the information would be helpful to someone, I'm tempted to see if I can make it happen. Then again, I think this engine is still low on compression, so that probably makes the information less useful than it would if it were a healthy mill in the first place.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Well, fellas, I guess it's time I let the cat out of the bag. Changes are underway for the "Big Dog". I sent my injectors to Jim early this week and ordered a Hydra and custom tunes. Stage 1s are the plan, along with a hand-me-down 17* HPOP. I'm also looking at a Riffraff billet wheel and straight pipe exhaust and EBPV delete.

I'm curious about you guys' take on the riffraff billet wheel versus the traditional WW or WW2.

I'm also curious whether you guys would be interested enough in seeing the step by step changes with rounds of testing in between. Something along the lines of, same trailer, same route, going from stock to straight exhaust, then adding the turbo wheel and eliminating the EBPV, then adding the stage 1s and Hydra, and running the same load over the same route with every change.

Sounds like a little more work to do it this way, but if the information would be helpful to someone, I'm tempted to see if I can make it happen. Then again, I think this engine is still low on compression, so that probably makes the information less useful than it would if it were a healthy mill in the first place.

Let me know what you guys think.
Absolutely. Positively. Go ahead.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:04 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
have you measured compression?
do you have lot of blow by at 2k RPM?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by knottyrope
have you measured compression?
do you have lot of blow by at 2k RPM?
Yes. And yes. Compression test a couple years ago netted 330-360 PSI as the range. Not terrible, but it does have a good deal of blowby even at idle. In fact, it's enough that I may go ahead and put the CV back into the air inlet. I' tired of it smoking at stoplights and people looking at me like the truck is on fire. I know the motor isn't great, but it's what I've got for now, so I'm gonna run it until I can do something different.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Absolutely. Positively. Go ahead.
Thanks for the input, Jose. I may try and do something.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:46 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That's the problem with doing a bunch of mods at the same time, you never know which one did the biggest gain. Nate's Back! I bet your tired of working on the house!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:56 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
It is real good to see Nate back and ready to do some damage! Glad somebody is actually working on their junk unlike others...

Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet deal nate. You won't be dissapointed with the power gains. Personally. I'd do it all at once. Get it done otherwise it's going to be a process that seems to keep dragging on

Old 10-21-2017, 01:00 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Absolutely be interested in seeing step by step numbers. That way I know which of your steps to follow in what order .

Quick Reply: Well, I went and did it....