1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53-56 IFS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM
cdl2374
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53-56 IFS

Looking to put IFS into my 56, and I know there has been several threads on the topic, but in relation to the 03 and up crown vic, and the Aerostar, I went through over countless threads last night here on our forums. What I am looking for is someone recently who has done either one and would share some info. I can buy the Aerostar for 175 to 200 and the cv for 400.00. I know there was some width issues with the later crown vic , but there were a couple that I found that did install the later version, but nothing had been completed with sheet metal. the rest of them were pre-03. From what I've seen, anytime anybody asked, they keep getting referred back to the same old threads. A lot of the threds that came up had to do with older trucks which are a different animal than our effies. Doesn't seem to be as much on the Aerostar, and the few I found were back a while and not a lot of info. I am not slamming my truck in the weeds, just to the top of the tire, I don't know if this will help the cv case any. Any help would be Greatly appreciated!!
Thanks to all so far. This site is really a wealth of information, and I really appreciate all who have shared so far.
Thanks,
Curt

Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
This is such a low cost IFS solution that many have been enticed by it...some have actually tried it with varying levels of success. I won't go into all the pros and cons of the application since most who are considering it or who have done it have already made the emotional commitment to it. Instead I will give you some hard data (if you have searched other posts on this topic then you have probably already seen this) so that you can decide for yourself if it is right for you. Bottom line...measure your truck from inside front fender lip left to right side. Take that measurement and subtract 67-3/8 inches (width of CV IFS at wheel mounting surface) this number is the total clearance that you will have to share between both sides when using the CV IFS. Wheel offset can accomodate this small clearance to a certain degree but it severely limits your choice of wheels, height of stance, tire size, and tire clearance when turning. Good luck...

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
I'm in the same boat with a 57 but the same old threads are brought up and I'd like to see more than one example to get a broader picture of the concept. I was concerned with the angles to keep the caster/camber, rear arm angle and such in line but there isn't much I can see on these. Most are newer than 60 and everyone refers to them as if the answer is right there in the pictures. I was told I should use the search function as if I didn't know about it. Love the search freaks. I tried and didn't get the answer.

Charlie, I applaud you on keeping it unbiased and giving the facts. The picture is surely an awesome detail that you don't expect to get so thanks!! Too many people today assume their way is the only way and degrade anyone for thinking otherwise. You presented it in a way that will either let him press on as he chooses, or you have sparked his interest in your take on it. Either way, you've sparked my interest. What's your experience and take on the swap? Gathering this info from multiple credible (and some not so credible) sources helps one get a better idea if they want to or should do it or not. I'm very interested in your take on the swap. I know there is much hate on parts of this site for the boxed MII front ends. I almost got a Fatman setup for my old 54 I had. I have a R&C setup on my 63 Fairlane so don't hate me, but what's the deal with the CV setup? Looks good/quick/simple and has been proven in one case to hold a big block or heavier so far. Please tell.

Thanks
Dave

Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If the track width is 67 3/8" why would anyone reconmend its use? Especially if the factory width is 61 1/4". Hell that's even wider than the front suspension on 1965-2003 F-150s!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Don't confuse the term "track" with mounting flange-to-flange width...they are not the same. Track is dependent on the offset of the wheel and the width of the tire, as such it will vary...the MF-MF width will not.

Dave, you will find that many folks on this forum and elsewhere put low cost as a high priority. I too like to save a buck but one has to calculate the downstream costs as well when looking at the botton line. Some have actually considered modifying the fenders on their F100s to accomodate these CV IFSs. There is a guy on the HAMB (and I think that he is also posting on this forum now) that narrowed a CV IFS to make it fit a 56 F100. Cutting the Xmember wasn't too bad but he also narrowed the R&P to match. Lots of work but it is a better solution than a fender mod.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 AM
ndfastang
Junior User
I take it the 53-56 trucks are narrower than my 57? I was under the impression my frame rails were the 34" apart as the CV inside dimension is as well.

Thanks for your take.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I know that track width is the center of each tire measurement. Since OEM wheels on these trucks and for years after (to at least 2003 trucks) only having a .5 to .6 offset. The track width measurement is well within the ballpark and most people understand that better than wheel mounting surface is why I referred to it as that.

The 53-56 is the same as the 57-60.

Frame Width - Front - Rear
48/52 - 32" - 34"
53/72 - 34" - 34"
73/79 - 34" - 37.5"
80/96 - 37.5" - 37.5"

Wheel mounting surface - Front - Rear
48/52 - 59" - 61.25"
53/64 - 61.25" - 61.25"
65/72 - 64.5" - 61.25"
73/96 - 64.5" - 64.5"

Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM
54TexasF100
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Good Morning Curt.

I have the Aerostar IFS in my 54. My truck is not a DD yet but I can drive it around my yard (video in my build thread). One of my recent build thread pics has the front fender on with a 15" X 10" wheel (5" backspace) with 31X10.5 tires. This is NOT my final wheel/tire choice but just what I currently have. My point is that the tires fit in the fenders so I have more than 5 inches of clearance from hub mounting surface. I plan to go with a 7" inch wheel with 4" backspace. This is the 5x4.5 lug pattern. This is a concern if you keep the stock rear. Lets be honest, if you are changing out to an IFS you are probable not the type that would keep the original rear axle. I happen to get a 9" rear with a 5x4.5 from my donor truck (81 F-100). I was leaning toward the explorer 8.8 with disc (has 5x4.5). Sorry to get off topic (front to rear) but I think this is important to most because they want to use the same wheels/tires front to rear for rotation, like me. This is also a difficult set up to lower. From your post you are like me and don't want it slammed but a nice tire filled fender. With my engine (SBF)/trans/cab/fenders/hood (not in current picture) installed I feel that the truck sits nice. My rear suspension set up is stock (minus 9") with axle under leafs. I also like this set up because I can reverse-engineer it all. If I decide to change course one day I can go back to original or another IFS (no chopped up frame). Another pro is that parts are cheap for this set up. I got all new ball joints, new rack and pinion, calipers, lines, rotors at a good price and all easily available. Additionally this being a Van front suspension, the sway bar is massive. I have a lot of detailed close up pictures of my build linked below on my signature block that goes to General, Projects, 54 F-100 (D). I am trying to keep with all Ford Parts (sucessful thus far) so this IFS works for me. It is cheap but I think it fits the bill. I did not know about the crownvic IFS set up at the time I decided for the Aerostar. I originally wanted the Mustang II IFS but 1500-2500 is too much money for the wife not to notice. If you have further questions or want to see different pics let me know.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
All well and good if you are considering a stock wheel...but who is going to go to the trouble of installing a CV IFS with the intent of keeping stock rims? As for the dimensions of the frame and widths of suspensions...this is not what is going to get you into trouble with a CV IFS, it's the width of the body at the fender openings and the 57-60 are definitely wider than the 53-56.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There is a reason the tread width specification is given rather than the flange to flange distance. The tread width is what the suspension geometry is designed around. Yes you can narrow the CV front suspension to simulate the F100 tread width by using wheels with a large positive offset, but that drastically changes the turning radius, the scrub radius, the akerman and the camber gain, all of which directly affects the steering, handling, and tire wear. To those who say it doesn't matter, I respond with: then why are you putting in an IFS in the first place? If it isn't an improvement why waste the cost and effort?
Plus, wheels with excessive pos offset are difficult to find, may not clear brakes, are severely limited in selection, are expensive since they may need to be custom built and/or are in low demand, and IMHO just look completely wrong, with the center protruding further than the rim, on a 50s era truck making the front look like a semi cab or a 60s FWD Caddy or Olds. Unless you also use an equally overwidth rear axle, you will not be able to use the same wheels front and rear, adding still more complications to the wheel selection and spare tire issue. As Charlie said, you've got to look at the total downstream costs and benefit/deficit picture. IMHO there are far better selections if you want to put in an IFS than the CV.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM
cdl2374
Senior User
Thanks 54 Texas. I also have done a lot if home work when it comes to the ifs . After much deliberation, and consideration of everything involved, the cv won't work for me. I was considering the Aerostar as I can find the cheap(250) but as I was not dead set on keeping it all ford, just wanted the best ride and handling, I opted for the Lexus sc400 front end. The work Charlie has done to inform us on the pitfalls of the cv ifs were great . Thanks Charlie..
With Lexus ifs I will be getting everything I wanted. Still a bolt in, width is almost dead on, so I can still run my Rocket Injector wheels , with the offsets to get the hot rod look I wanted And the handling and ride of a modern ifs. I was measuring about any ifs I came a cross and after measuring my buddies wife's sc, and reading lexcoes posts about his Lexus install in Australia , I decided why not...bolt patterns are even the same. Just uses metric studs.. The Aerostar ifs is a close second for me because of cost and more important, fit and install .

Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The SC would have been my 1st choice, the Jag my 2nd, C4 my 3rd.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 PM
cdl2374
Senior User
Yep really looking forward to getting the install started. Lexcoe has been a big help as he has already been down that road. He's got some great pics in his build . He went one step further and used the alloy v-8 out if the Lexus as well. I am sticking with sbf.