General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Business Owner Chases, Runs Over Robbery Suspects In Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 09:01 AM
dcexplorer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Business Owner Chases, Runs Over Robbery Suspects In Hummer

Two Suspects In Critical Condition

A business owner in Phoenix, Arizona took matters into his own hands after a group of men robbed his business, according to a Local 6 News report.

Police say three armed suspects walked into the Mr. Insurance building in Phoenix and demanded money. A fourth suspect was in the getaway car, according to the report.

Investigators said after the suspects left with the store's money, the co-owner jumped into his Hummer and chased after the suspects.

Police said that the man, identified only as Peter, followed the suspects through a neighborhood and eventually caught up with them. He then rolled his Hummer over their car.

(more here: http://www.local6.com/news/2272794/detail.html)

Old 06-17-2003, 09:59 AM
F150daniel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll bet they won't do that again

Old 06-17-2003, 10:04 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

What a waste of time. If he would've just shot them when they were in his business, he wouldn't have had to chase them down.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:08 AM
theologian
Postmaster

The business owner commited a number of offenses, not least reckless endangerment, and negligent driving. I do not see how the article says that it is not known if he will face charges - It is patently clear the guy committed the offenses and will be charged for them. Just because a felon commits a crime does not give Joe Public the right to commit some in retaliation.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:23 AM
david.brady
Elder User
Smile Business Owner Chases, Runs Over Robbery Suspects In Hummer

This guy has some serious anger issues. There is no doubt that he will be charged, the DA has no choice but to make an example of him, even thought the press will have a field day. Theologian has a good point and they will try to make the point that you don't have the right to take matters in your own hands.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:53 AM
dcexplorer
Senior User

Originally posted by theologian
The business owner commited a number of offenses, not least reckless endangerment, and negligent driving. I do not see how the article says that it is not known if he will face charges - It is patently clear the guy committed the offenses and will be charged for them. Just because a felon commits a crime does not give Joe Public the right to commit some in retaliation.
And yet ... if you've ever been robbed, you will completely understand the impulse.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:16 AM
jamesmonty
Senior User

Mark one up for the good guys. I bet no one will robb that place again if a Hummer is parked outside!

Old 06-17-2003, 11:29 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion the heck with those guys, they got what they deserved. If you look on that poll, 30,000 people said he shouldn't get charged and only 3600ish said yes.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:39 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Originally posted by MustangGT221
In my opinion the heck with those guys, they got what they deserved. If you look on that poll, 30,000 people said he shouldn't get charged and only 3600ish said yes.
That's where you have to pick your jury from.

And yet ... if you've ever been robbed, you will completely understand the impulse.

Been there, done that. Only one of will leave this room alive. I think more of the public is also getting fed up.

Old 06-17-2003, 02:55 PM
theologian
Postmaster

I have been robbed, I have been shot, I still regard the law as the standpoint from which I choose my actions.

That sounds really heavy.. Oh well, not meant to be - I just make sure that I do not use emotions to reason with.

Theo

Old 06-17-2003, 03:17 PM
62uni
Senior User

Criminal liability for the various people involved is one thing, I'm thinking the business guy's insurance co. is scrambling to limit their exposure, and this business guy will lose big time when sued. He would have been MUCH better off either counting himself and others 'lucky' that no one was physically harmed in the actual hold-up, or by responding to an armed threat in self defense, whilst there was still an active threat. Maybe the bus. guy will claim he was only trying to get a liscense number, and (a) was distracted and accidently ran over the crooks, or (b) a new threat, or perception of such, started, say he thought a gun was pointed at him from within the crooks car, and he reacted. Interesting case to watch.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:14 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

Now they know what it is to work hard for their money. Maybe next time they will earn it without robbing someone.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:40 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

62uni- i like your point of view on this.

i really think we need to see more cases like this, it just might make people think twice to committing crimes. if something big like this happened 4 times a week and got national coverage, we might see the crime rate drop.

if i were the hummer owner, id go with the " their brake lites were out, i didnt see them stop"

Old 06-17-2003, 09:40 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a strong possibility that he will be charged but personaly i hope he's not. I have been robbed twice and i know i would have done the same thing.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Freight Train
Senior User

I say don't charge him. He was clearly trying to get the plate number and they stopped short and he ran over they're little rice car.

That's one of those old school H1's too, not the soccer mom H2 version. Getting onto the roof of that car wasn't too hard with that thing.

The street trash got what they deserved. Nobody was killed luckily, so they're armed robbery career isn't over yet.

Last edited by Freight Train; 06-17-2003 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Business Owner Chases, Runs Over Robbery Suspects In Hummer