57 frame with CV front questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM
ndfastang
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
57 frame with CV front questions....

Hello all,
It's been a while since I posted but I'm getting back into the classic truck thing. I just made a deal for a 57 shortbox and want to do the IRS/IFS/4.6/4R70W package with it. I have the IRS in a donor 94 Mark VIII that I'm gutting for my 63 Fairlane project. I will use that IRS and adapt it all for the 4.5 pattern or go with spacers and get the 321 bracket kit for it. I have a line on a 2005 CV now that has body damage and I want to pull the IFS and 4.6 from it into the 57. I've seen many threads and pics but all were pertaining to newer frames or the 53-56 setups.

Does the 57 have the same frame setup that narrows (height wise) like the earlier trucks or is it more of a straight C channel setup like later ones?

I can't find the measurements to install the CV front in the earlier setups. Does anyone have measurements or pics or anything indicating where and what angle the front needs to be installed at?

Anyone have a 57 with this setup in front done that wouldn't mind sharing info or pics?

Thanks guys. Feels good to be back. I never should have sold the 54 but I think I have a good start with this one now. I get the truck on Monday. Can't wait!

Dave

Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 AM
ndfastang
Junior User
Well, the truck is mine now. I thought there would have been someone with a 59 or older truck that has done this but I guess not. My plan is to do the CV front end with a different engine and take the 390 out and put it with the C6 into my 63 Gal. I'm also in the process of pulling the 4V from my 94 MkVIII donor car and I'm putting that in my 63 Fairlane. The IRS from that will be sitting until I can determine if it's a wise choice to try and put it in with the CV front on the truck. I want it to sit nice and low where the tires are just slightly under or tucked....barely. I think I'll have to keep the CV front tight up on the frame and even use drop springs.

We'll see. One project at a time and the Fairlane has been screaming at me.

So, has anyone with a 53-58 truck done the CV swap????? Please?

Thanks
Dave

Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 613 Likes on 550 Posts
Maybe you should spend a little time using the search feature. This CV thing has been talked and retalked here. Here's a link to get you going. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-58-f100.html

Personally, I like the stock front ends but am always willing to help a guy down the wrong path!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 PM
ndfastang
Junior User

Love the search freaks. I know how and have used it. Sorry if you took my post as "I'm new and want you to tell meeverything in one post". I saw thatthread. The only measurement I saw wasthe 3/4" or 1-2" forward movement, and then in post 29 he went intocommenting on using the factory frame part and set the IFS lower which kept thetruck up higher some. There were nomeasurements or angle numbers indicated in any of them I can recall. I'm looking to lower the vehicle and was moreinterested in putting the sub-frame as low as possible. I am not in the business of just taking anexample and following it. In fact, for my MkVIII rear install, I read all ofthe 100+ pages of the one thread on the install. I like to have options and see the good and badof all and consider my best option. That's the beauty of these forums. We share our experiences with others so they can learn from them. I've been doing so for many years on manydifferent platforms and vehicles.<o></o>

My main concerns were not addressed in any thread I foundand the fact that I've seen it in many other different years after 57-58 reallydidn't help me with measurements. Theconcept about the front end in a F100 is broad. I was asking specifics about a 57, I was referring to a small detailedgroup that a broad subject will not help on. The only thing I could get from everyone involved would be the amount ofcaster, camber or rear arm angle required. I have found a 15* measurement on another thread in my search but thatwas a guess. Sorry, I'm not a hot rodderof yesteryear who just says, I'll throw it in and if it works great. Or, it's close enough. I like precision. <o></o>

The wrong path is also subject to personal choice but that'swhy we have this great country. Choice. I kept the stock setup inmy 54 and did the whole arched springs, drop I beam, pulled leaf ideas. I don't like it so, it's not the wrong pathhere. Then again, many have fits aboutMII fronts in old unibodies. I have aR&C setup in my 63 Fairlane. According to some, it's stupid and completely unsafe. That's why many are out there with them andthere are tons of X, Y and Z companies selling them. If it's done right, it will work as was tested. Multiple opinions and experiences allow us todraw conclusions based on statistics and eliminating operator error or specificbrands. That's why a single thread isnot the answer to all. I just thoughtthere might be newer people or more that are further in their projects willingto share their progress and details. Nobiggie. I can manage. Don't mean to sound rash or as if I'm adick. I'm not a fan of "use thedamned search button" fans who don't have all the facts. Sorry if you werejust intending to jerk my chain and had intentions of more support. More and more internet jerks to deal withthese days and it's hard to tell who's who. <o></o>

Thanks for the link though and good luck on your ventures.

Dave<o></o>

Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

It is indeed hard to read into what you are reading. With your low post count, it is not inconceivable to think that you might not be aware of the search feature. The particular link I gave you is a kind of down and dirty aproach to the CV mod and by no means a work of "precision". Just intended to get you headed if that was what you needed. Cool to know you are more well versed. Sounds like you could be a valuable resource to have here on the forum. The wrong road comment was completely tounge and cheek. I realize that ice cream comes in both vanilla and chocolate!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
I know exactly what you mean about the post count. I've seen it in every arena I part take in. Example, At work, I'm the go to guy for automotive stuff and you would not believe how many times I hear things such as, "Will a cap and rotor give me more horsepower?" from a kid who just bought a car for the first time. Sometimes I feel just as you'd expect but I do spit out the same old answer.

I was in a bad mood when writing my post so I do apologize for sounding rash. I am at fault though, for only looking in this portion of the forum. I ended up finding much more in the 56 and older forum. The 55's seem to be more popular with it and I have tons of pics and info but not much on angles again. Not too much of a worry.

Honestly I've considered against it but, I don't want to spend what I did on my Rod & Custom kit for this truck so I'm holding on the entire project. I'm going to research more and keep gathering info. Hopefully by the time I am finished with the Fairlane, I'll have a solid idea on this one. Right now I'm liking everything but the price of the No Limit kit and the Fatman kit as used in the 157 project. I want the stance of that truck and the rustic body as well. I know the IRS in the MkVIII I'm gutting is in contention to go in the truck but I also have a Explorer T lock 31 spline 8.8 that is looking for a home too.

We're good here. Interpretation was amiss on both parts and I have no hard feelings. Thanks for the quick response and consideration though. I'll keep searching away.

I am interested to hear your take on "the wrong path" though. There are quite a few that say this and I'd love to hear facts or opinions on it. Again, gathering facts.

Thanks
Dave

Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Well, I can only speak to what is the right path for me. I tend to shy away from mods because that is what too many others seem to want to do. I mean, if you have the money to throw at one of these trucks, you can completely turn it into a "car"! Sort of what Detroit has already done to newer trucks. As soon as they started making trucks something women liked to drive, trucks as we knew them changed forever. Unfortunately, so did the affordability! Now, I am not saying it is wrong to make upgrades and make them safer, blah, blah,blah, but it gets almost boring to me to go to a national level car show and see truck after truck with the same mods. To me, there is a much more nostalgic feeling about seeing, hearing and smelling an original.
Again, this is only my veiw on the topic and is not intended to offend those with thin skin that may read this and take it out of context.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 PM
ndfastang
Junior User
Understand completely, as there is much value in a completely stock item as a collector piece or nostalgic purpose. I've been on both sides of the sword. I've built stockers, nostalgic pieces and restomods. I'm more thinking of safety and comfort for the family these days. With more metal in my back than bones, I need a softer ride these days. I'm the puss in this family now, not the wife. Plus, I can get the milage, performance and availability of todays powertrains and put them in those beautiful old bodies. Then again, I think you and I just may have the same feeling towards a 32 highboy with a SBC between the rails..............

Best of luck. Back to hot rodding.

Dave

My Fairlane is going to stay factory inside (to include the steering column shifter and upholstery) and out but will have wheels, suspension and brakes to protect my family on our way to car shows and the ice cream shop. That little Prius owner that thinks they own the road because they are saving the world will surely jump in front of my wife when she's driving. I want her to be able to move or stop as needed. She had a hard time wanting to drive my 54 when it was low because I had no suspension or it would bounce too much from being stiff or hitting the bump stops. If she can drive them, I'm able to coerce her for more money for them